Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:38 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Even scarier and from the same article. Murders, dumping of bodies, shady business practices......absolutely terrifying.
You must like being scared. When I want to be scared, I like the old Universal Monster movies. My most fav scene is in "The Mummy". The guy reads the parchment to bring Kharis to life, and all we see is the old linen wrappings drag in the dirt as Kharis walks away.... and the guy who read the parchment loses his mind and laughs a crazy laugh.... just bone chilling.

But then again -- when do you make the cut off for safety? Does a 60 year old crime where a guy contracted with two guys to whack his wife count? Supposedly happened in Cranberry. Does that mean Cranberry isn't safe?

Honestly -- If the place was really a cesspool, this wouldn't even make the news. I know. I live in the 4th most dangerous city in the country, and unless the murder/shootings are pretty sensational -- they don't make the news. We've had 110 murders in Oakland this year and last night the shooting of kids getting off a school bus in Vegas got more air time than a shooting of four kids in Oak-town.

If it had been ONE kid killed in Oakland, wouldn't have made the news at all. Because one kid shooting another to death is standard operating procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I guess you can subscribe to the whole society of fear concept, or you can ignore it. In my opinion, its best to ignore it since the odds are entirely in your favor, ESPECIALLY as a resident of Mt. Lebo.
That's a bad way to look at it....Using your logic we would have to conclude that the odds of being a victim in the South Hills aren't that much greater than being a victim in a city neighborhood.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You must like being scared. When I want to be scared, I like the old Universal Monster movies. My most fav scene is in "The Mummy". The guy reads the parchment to bring Kharis to life, and all we see is the old linen wrappings drag in the dirt as Kharis walks away.... and the guy who read the parchment loses his mind and laughs a crazy laugh.... just bone chilling.

But then again -- when do you make the cut off for safety? Does a 60 year old crime where a guy contracted with two guys to whack his wife count? Supposedly happened in Cranberry. Does that mean Cranberry isn't safe?

Honestly -- If the place was really a cesspool, this wouldn't even make the news. I know. I live in the 4th most dangerous city in the country, and unless the murder/shootings are pretty sensational -- they don't make the news. We've had 110 murders in Oakland this year and last night the shooting of kids getting off a school bus in Vegas got more air time than a shooting of four kids in Oak-town.

If it had been ONE kid killed in Oakland, wouldn't have made the news at all. Because one kid shooting another to death is standard operating procedure.

Well, I don't really know anything about Oakland and Vegas...I'm talking about the Pittsburgh region.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
From that article.....1 MURDER, THE SAME BODY DUMPED, AND THE SAME FAMILY INVOLVED IN BAD BUSINESS. Cripe, I can look out my window and look at the neighborhood responsible for nearly 2/3 of Pittsburghs homicides this year and I'm not even that scared.
I'm editing this post because I'm completely confused.

In the South Hills, we shouldn't be worried because it is only one bad apple and you can't judge an entire neighborhood on a few bad apples. But in the neighborhood you see out of your window, it's ok to judge the entire neighborhood on a few bad apples???....I don't get it.

Either way, I have no idea where you live and I'm not talking about your neighborhood......I'm talking about the ever declining South Hills and the safety issues there.

Last edited by zip95; 12-12-2007 at 10:57 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 10:57 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,096 times
Ok, all laughs aside... the reason everyone is taking your post so lightly is because you are claiming that one of the safest neighborhoods in one of the safest cities in the country is "absolutely terrifying."

Its understandable that everything is relative, but what are you comparing to? Living on a farm? If so, your still probably more likely to get killed falling off your tractor than you are likely to get robbed in Mt. Lebo. Your concerns about Mt. Lebo, in my subjective opinion, are simply unfounded. Its perfectly safe by pretty-much everyone's standards. You might break a toe getting your foot stuck in a storm drain, or trip over a curb, but that's about it.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:59 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Well, I don't really know anything about Oakland and Vegas...I'm talking about the Pittsburgh region.
What I'm saying is you're fearmongering. Either you're trying to scare people or start some stuff on the board OR you're a person that lives in total fear. Either of which is sad.

Life happens. No matter where you go, cars are broken into, homes are broken into, things are stolen and vandalization occurs and some people are murdered. It's not nice to think about, but honestly -- read some history -- it ain't new. I mean -- Genesis 4:8 -- Cain slew Abel -- ooohh -- Eden isn't safe either.

And yes -- SOME places have it worse than others. But to look at a one off incident (do you think this kids really going to keep trying or start going after other people?) and start crowing this is it! This neighborhood is NOW a BAD PLACE TO LIVE is really .... over the top.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:01 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,096 times
Quote:
I'm editing this post because I'm completely confused.

In the South Hills, we shouldn't be worried because it is only one bad apple and you can't judge an entire neighborhood on a few bad apples. But in the neighborhood you see out of your window, it's ok to judge the entire neighborhood on a few bad apples???....I don't get it.
Not to gang up on you, you are perfectly entitled to make your argument, but... I don't see how vwscottie judged an entire neighborhood here. He was merely mentioning that 2/3 of Pittsburgh's homocides occurred in the aforementioned neighborhood. Never did he mention that any of the other residents of the neighborhood were causing any problems.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:31 AM

919 posts, read 3,184,408 times
Nine cats.... nine cats..

I love that!

Old 12-12-2007, 12:01 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
Quote:
Just look as this cave-man behavior
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07346/840916-55.stm

It seems that serious crimes in the South Hills are becoming a real problem. I don't feel safe there anymore. I don't want to offend anyone but, I'd recommend avoiding the area at all costs.
HAHA, this is the funniest thing I've read today. You've got to be kidding. I've lived in the Pittsburgh area a little over a year now after moving from Florida. Pittsburgh, and especially the South Hills (I live in South Park), is the safest area I've ever lived in. Instances like this are RARE, most crime in the South Hills consists of someone stealing a bike, a drunk driver, or some petty theft like someone breaking into a vending machine. This is according to the police blotter I glance at occasionaly. Seriously, you don't know what "not feeling safe" is until you've lived in Orlando, Miami or Tampa. Daily carjackings, murders, home invasions, and other violent crimes are the norm there.

One thing I've noticed about Pittsburghers in my short time up here is that many people live in a bubble, with no real idea what it's like in other places, and always want to make Pittsburgh seem worse than it is. Go live in another city for a month or two and you'll come crying back to Pittsburgh where it's actually safe! Really, this area is ridiculously safe compared to other major cities. Get a grip.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM

511 posts, read 1,936,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Ok, all laughs aside... the reason everyone is taking your post so lightly is because you are claiming that one of the safest neighborhoods in one of the safest cities in the country is "absolutely terrifying."
Man o man...it's great to at least have one other person here who sees through things

Go to the South Hills Village Mall, you can't even park in a no parking area with your flashers on without being approached by the Bethel or USC police. And if they can't come, the Stormtroopers from Mt Lebo are there.

The first incident that was posted, the recent young man beating the young woman, is ridiculous to point at any community. How about that kid that shot all those people in that mall last week? Does that now make that community unsafe? Hardly.......they say they have beefed up security now in that mall, but really, why? It was a random incident. We have seen tradgedy in Columbine high school in Colorado, to rural Lancaster County, PA, where ten Amish girls were lined up against a wall and murdered. This is 2007, not 1907.

To the original poster....I live in Point Breeze. The point I was trying to make by mentioning my neighborhood is, if anyone should be fearful by your justification, it should be me. Since we moved into the neighborhood in late August, there has been a woman found cut in half and left on a side street, and countless other drive by shootings and murders, all in within a mile of me. I'm not the least bit scared. Look up Mt Lebanon's Police blotter, and you'll see the "horrifying" crime that happens there weekly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh