Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:09 PM

511 posts, read 1,936,937 times

Advertisements

Here's an official look at the dastardly deeds going on in the crown jewel of the South Hills, Mt Lebanon

http://pd.mtlebanon.org/blotter.html

The whole thing I think most of us agree on is that the original poster was/is trying to segment a few, and I mean a very few incidents and make that reflective of this area, which is terribly unfair.

I work in the South Hills, it's thriving, it's beautiful, and well patrolled by the specific municipalities. Along the way, it's 2007. I was in the South Hills Village Mall at the end of October when a bomb threat was called in the Thursday before Halloween. It made news for two days, had helicopters flying overhead, and evacuated the entire mall for the entire evening. It was scary being evacuated at such a heightened pace that night, but I'm not scared to be there at all, and it turns out that it was a new mall employee that did it in the first place to show his defiance for having to work that evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 07:27 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
What are you talking about? I posted the links in this very thread.
What AM I talking about?! I said show us the data. All you did was link to two anecdotal stories about some burglaries (from last January) and a non-fatal domestic incident. These do not constitute any type of criminal trend, as you suggest. What's with your 6-point list? Those things didn't happen (at least not that you sourced). Where's the random killing spree? Where are the police killings? Why do you feel a need to make up these crazy stories to back up your point? In olden days your diagnosis would be simple- 'hysteria'.

You need to take a few deep breaths, and quit hyperventilating.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 AM

919 posts, read 3,184,408 times
I can't wait to move to Mt, Lebo...I am going to buy an oversized suv and get my hair done... just right and then join the womens club and be a good deed doer!!! LOL! no, not really but I am looking forward to moving into Mt lebo, and enrolling my child into one of the best schools in the area and being able to sleep at night, and not worry bout being shot at...my life is wonderful! And its going to get so much better!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:09 AM

439 posts, read 1,474,419 times
Quote:
It's good that you feel safe in the area you've lived your whole life. I'm sure the lifers in East Liberty feel the same way. I however, have no affection for either area.

I could name 20 other towns that don't have these problems.

Yes I agree, the decline is really saddening. The drive to Century III is through Brentwood.
Hey Zip,

Please let us know what area you live in. I think this will shed some light on the subject.

Thanks
Ray

Old 12-13-2007, 10:02 AM

44 posts, read 158,172 times
Quote:
Just look as this cave-man behavior
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07346/840916-55.stm

It seems that serious crimes in the South Hills are becoming a real problem. I don't feel safe there anymore. I don't want to offend anyone but, I'd recommend avoiding the area at all costs.

Zip,

this type of behavior isn't common in the South Hills....especially Mt. Lebanon. The biggest example of teenage depravity that I've ever been privy to in Mt. Leb was severe cocaine abuse and alcohol abuse from the silver spoon fed yuppie children of the area.

This type of crap would be more likely to happen in the real hills....the Hill District or the West End....but you'd substitute the hammer for a pistol instead.

Give us some real examples of a true S. Hill decline.

-Ryan

Old 12-13-2007, 08:30 PM

45 posts, read 140,324 times
If you honestly believe that having an isolated incident in which a mentally ill person kills someone means that the whole neighborhood is going down the toilet, you don't know very much about the city (much less the world) you live in.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:51 AM

64 posts, read 240,721 times
Quote:
As an example, in 2005 Brentwood the average crime index was more than DOUBLE the national average. How in the heck does that make the South Hills the "...safest area I've ever lived in..."
That's Interesting! Brentwood's crime index in 2005 was 195.4. The national average was around 320! You also fail to mention it dropped to 161.4 in 2006. The vacant property on Route 51 is disgusting but it is all owned by the Levistske family. Trust me if Brentwood had their way it would have been cleaned up a long time ago. Why do you cast Brentwood under such a bad light. At least they are trying to improve their town. Look at the Brentwood Town Square! Have you ever been there? They would like to continue that model on 51 if they Levistske's would cooperate. It may not be Upper St. Clair or Mt. Lebabnon, but Brentwood has a distict personality compared to all the copycat 1970's era Ryan Homes in the South Hills. And that's a good thing.

And no I don't live in Brentwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh