Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:23 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
"Up South" is used to describe the northern bigoted people, the morons you see flying the confederate flag on the back of their big ol Fords.
What if they're flying this flag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:30 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If those unsavory aspects are found all over the country, why attach the adjective "southern" to it at all?
Because the Confederate, etc. culture originated there.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:08 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
Default Look no further than corporate culture

If you want to know how liberal Pittsburgh is, then look at the management class in Pittsburgh. Employers in this town are far from being liberal in any way, shape, or form.

Sometimes I ponder the idea of there being some kind of Skull and Bones credentials test to ascend into the ranks of management in this town. Every manager I have ever worked for is a thoroughbred righty - and some menacingly so.

One manager worshiped RUSH, proudly displaying a token of the conservative icon in his office. Another is constantly talking about his idols such as Palin and Ryan and never misses a chance to trash talk Obama very openly in the office.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:15 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
If you judging how liberal a place is by upper management of traditional corporate companies, you're going to find most places pretty conservative. That's like going to a gay bar in Alabama and saying "wow this place is liberal"

Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
If you want to know how liberal Pittsburgh is, then look at the management class in Pittsburgh. Employers in this town are far from being liberal in any way, shape, or form.

Sometimes I ponder the idea of there being some kind of Skull and Bones credentials test to ascend into the ranks of management in this town. Every manager I have ever worked for is a thoroughbred righty - and some menacingly so.

One manager worshiped RUSH, proudly displaying a token of the conservative icon in his office. Another is constantly talking about his idols such as Palin and Ryan and never misses a chance to trash talk Obama very openly in the office.
How many of those people actually lived in Pittsburgh?

Old 05-23-2014, 10:04 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:

Clearly this is a representative cross section of all managers in the area to derive such a conclusion on the metro as a whole.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:43 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:

Citing anecdotal information is hardly indicative of an area's political bent. Reagan's longtime home was in LA, Hannity and Bill Buckley are New Yorkers, Nugent in from Detroit, all unquestionably very liberal places. On the other hand, a lot of liberals are from small towns that can be considered conservative.

BTW, the Skull and Bones isn't a political outfit at all- notable leftists including John Kerry and William Morehead- long time congressman here in Pittsburgh who has the federal bldg named for him- were bonesmen.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:31 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
Quote:
Citing anecdotal information is hardly indicative of an area's political bent. Reagan's longtime home was in LA, Hannity and Bill Buckley are New Yorkers, Nugent in from Detroit, all unquestionably very liberal places. On the other hand, a lot of liberals are from small towns that can be considered conservative.

BTW, the Skull and Bones isn't a political outfit at all- notable leftists including John Kerry and William Morehead- long time congressman here in Pittsburgh who has the federal bldg named for him- were bonesmen.

BTW, I know what Skull and Bones is and the cross-section of the political and social elite that comprise it's membership. The reference I was making is the somewhat secret society that S&B is. When the media was talking about it during a past election season, there was talk that it might not even exist.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:57 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:

I could talk about politics with people in the East End or go to a college campus here then assume the whole area is liberal too. Mangers of businesses tend to be more right leaning all over the country in general. On a side note, despite the percentage of people voting for Obama falling in much of the country, his percentage of the vote in Allegheny County remain virtually the same from 2008. Not exactly a scientific study but it shows people in general felt the same (or enough of to give him a 2nd term) as in 2008 about him in this county.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:25 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Yep.

Bill Clinton is from Arkansas. Al Gore is from Tennessee. Clay Aiken is from North Carolina. Sheryl Crow is from Missouri. Melissa Etheridge is from Kansas. Michelle Branch is from Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh