Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:49 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,880,529 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh From Above - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 12:57 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,094,257 times
That was a pretty nicely done video, however... It seems that many of the people flying drones don't understand that you really shouldn't fly rc aircraft over people, and you should never fly over traffic.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:14 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,763 times
Be sure to check out Rick Sebak's "Things that aren't here anymore". Fascinating, especially since it overlaps part of my life there. I had a chance to go to Forbes Field to see a game before it closed...but I passed on it. I went to Kennywood but never heard of West View Park. Never heard of a roller coaster burning down. Too bad Danceland burned down too. A lot of fires in Pittsburgh. It also covers the street cars. I remember them but never rode one. They scared me as a kid as they seemed so rickety and spewed showers of sparks from the overhead lines. Too bad Jenkins Arcade is not around. That would have been a nice addition to downtown today. There are still some Isaly's stores, an effort should be made to hold on to them as interesting retro stores of the past.

God Bless Rick Sebak, he really can find Pittsburgh's face and character.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:12 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,833 times
This looks amazing in 1080i on my 55 inch screen.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:18 PM

This one is pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdDu4SjpZc0

Nice editing. And the last line cracked me up.

I recognize:
Angels in the Outfield
Sudden Death
The Advantages of Being a Wallflower
Flashdance
Batman: The Dark Knight Rises
Wonder Boys
Striking Distance

Old 06-06-2014, 05:47 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,283 times
I wish there had been less shots of Cheesecake Factory, REI, stadiums, parking lots, etc... seems like a bit of a missed opportunity here. I would have hoped for more stuff like Oakland architecture (cathedral), dense neighborhood flybys, and some climbs out of pittsburgh's tight valleys. Wish they hadn't filmed in winter as well... PGH looks so damn good when it's green. Neat concept though.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I wish there had been less shots of Cheesecake Factory, REI, stadiums, parking lots, etc... seems like a bit of a missed opportunity here. I would have hoped for more stuff like Oakland architecture (cathedral), dense neighborhood flybys, and some climbs out of pittsburgh's tight valleys. Wish they hadn't filmed in winter as well... PGH looks so damn good when it's green. Neat concept though.
I think I read in the video comments that he is going to make a part 2.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:10 AM

Oops...should have included
Inspector Gadget
maybe:
Groundhog Day (Bill Murray in a scene)

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 06-06-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 09:04 AM

48 posts, read 139,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdDu4SjpZc0

Nice editing. And the last line cracked me up.

I recognize:
Angels in the Outfield
Sudden Death
The Advantages of Being a Wallflower
Flashdance
Batman: The Dark Knight Rises
Wonder Boys
Striking Distance
I get a little queasy honoring movies like "Batman: Dark Knight Rises" because they only use Pittsburgh as a generic stand in for Gotham. Groundhog Day shouldn't be included because it only briefly shows Pittsburgh and Bill Murray's character is a real snobby jerk and Burghers aint like that.

I feel best honoring movies like "Flashdance" and "Striking Distance" because they are proud to use Pittsburgh as Pittsburgh and the city becomes a character itself in these films. Flashdance and Striking Distance both feature lead characters that have the blue-collar grit and integrity that us Burghers exhibit in our daily lives. We're not skinny jeans-wearin' wimps like you find in San Fran or NYC. We built this country out of solid steel and we have pride in that.

Not sure what movie shows Emma Watson riding thru Fort Pitt Tunnel at night but it looks pretty cool. Reminds me of the Bon Jovi video for "Wanted Dead or Alive".

Old 06-06-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsy994 View Post
I get a little queasy honoring movies like "Batman: Dark Knight Rises" because they only use Pittsburgh as a generic stand in for Gotham. Groundhog Day shouldn't be included because it only briefly shows Pittsburgh and Bill Murray's character is a real snobby jerk and Burghers aint like that.
Fair enough. But it is a good movie. They use Pittsburgh in the opening scene to set the location. It was not shot in Punxsutawney. "Angels in the Outfield" is fun as it shows Pittsburgh in the early 1950s. It's also a "change of attitude" movie, and a good one.

Quote:
I feel best honoring movies like "Flashdance" and "Striking Distance" because they are proud to use Pittsburgh as Pittsburgh and the city becomes a character itself in these films. Flashdance and Striking Distance both feature lead characters that have the blue-collar grit and integrity that us Burghers exhibit in our daily lives. We're not skinny jeans-wearin' wimps like you find in San Fran or NYC. We built this country out of solid steel and we have pride in that.
Wonder Boys used Pittsburgh as Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Not sure what movie shows Emma Watson riding thru Fort Pitt Tunnel at night but it looks pretty cool. Reminds me of the Bon Jovi video for "Wanted Dead or Alive".
"The Advantages of Being a Wallflower" which also uses Pittsburgh as Pittsburgh. Emma Watson had some nice things to say about Pittsburgh too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh