Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:20 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times

Advertisements

Best price I've seen for parking is the garage by the Consol Center, ya gotta walk a little to get Dahntahn, but most Pghers could use some exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 09:38 AM

129 posts, read 159,545 times
Before wife and I got married, we lived in the Essex House in Shadyside.
Supermarket (Giant Eagle) is right across the street, with many other shops in the safe neighborhood.
The bus stop is one block away, which takes you into downtown via East Busway (no congestion) in ~10 min.
There are some minor annoyances, but overall we loved it there, until we got married and had the kid.

Essex House Apartments Apartments in Pittsburgh, PA | Apartments.com
===
We're now in the Cranberry/Warrendale area and like it here, because of the newer houses.
If your work schedule is flexible, you can get into office early, and leave early (or arrive/leave late) to avoid congestion. This applies to anywhere you choose to live. (I assume this is what Hopes was doing, when she mentioned her incredible short commute)
When I worked downtown, my commute from Cranberry was ~30 - 35 min, w/ steady flow, w/o breaking many traffic laws. Not bad at all, comparing to many others that are stuck during peak hours.
The key is to find a house that gets you easy access to I-79 ramp.
There are parts of Cranberry that will require you go through terrible local traffic before you hit the highway.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:53 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,176,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Best price I've seen for parking is the garage by the Consol Center, ya gotta walk a little to get Dahntahn, but most Pghers could use some exercise.
Yes, I believe the far Consol lot is still $6 a day, no? Only option comparable is to park in the strip lot down near the produce terminal. It's farther away but does include a shuttle.

Both options are on borrowed time since the lots are set for development. Parking downtown should get very interesting at that point once the thousands of cars who use those lots need to find alternatives. These lots are filled by the average joes who can't generally afford the $150+ a month rates. I'd imagine PAT will see a healthy jump in ridership once that happens.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:07 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
Yes, I believe the far Consol lot is still $6 a day, no? Only option comparable is to park in the strip lot down near the produce terminal. It's farther away but does include a shuttle.

Both options are on borrowed time since the lots are set for development. Parking downtown should get very interesting at that point once the thousands of cars who use those lots need to find alternatives. These lots are filled by the average joes who can't generally afford the $150+ a month rates. I'd imagine PAT will see a healthy jump in ridership once that happens.

I think the city is going to have to consider alternatives if too much commuter parking near town is closed.

Many middle class areas in the suburbs don't have PAT service to meet the people's need- "park and ride" lots in places like ML and Ross Township already fill up really early.

A parking crisis in town could put pressure on employers to choose suburban locations for their new offices, and provide a valuable fringe of parking to attract talent.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:25 AM

6,596 posts, read 8,916,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
Parking at the West General Robinson Garage and walking or taking the T for free is also $6/day.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:45 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
A parking crisis in town could put pressure on employers to choose suburban locations for their new offices.
Ewwww.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:00 PM

4 posts, read 4,147 times
Plum Boro and Murrysville is nice. You're close to shopping and Pittsburgh is half an hour away. Drive east and you're in the country.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:09 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,757,186 times
ok I vouch for South Fayette. There are town homes here for rent that are not the new development. Once the new shopping center goes up, stores will be much closer.

I drive to work every day and park at the Consol ; it costs $7.25 which I think is great. There are three lots ; one is over $8 and one is about $6 with a shuttle. I don't take the shuttle because i like to walk. It takes me 45mins door to door daily ; including the 10min walk.

South Fayette is very safe. Even though you don't have kids now, you never know what will happen and it is always good to live in a good school district.

On a non traffic day, I get to work in 25 mins. I love it here as it is close enough to take in a concert in the city and get home quickly. But far enough from the city that I hear the birds, raccoons, and deer.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Ewwww.
Can't have it both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh