Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 05:11 AM

912 posts, read 1,732,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Why has a thread discussing the impending transition of 2/3 of the Macy's building into upscale apartments devolved into a pi$$ing contest over whether or not Pittsburgh is a "real" city based upon how little here is open 24/7?
Because this is the City-Data Pittsburgh forum. Would you expect anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:21 AM

254 posts, read 591,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I hope that if they downsize they do a serious interior and product upgrade. I really do try to shop there, but the selection of mens' clothing is extremely outdated. They need to get serious about fashion. Generally I just end up buying jeans and calling it a day.

With that said, it's dope they're staying around. We really are lucky to be retaining our store when every other city is losing theirs it seems. And not only that, but ours is still huge.
You are so right. Macy's is trading on it's reputation from 50 years ago. When it went national and bought up all the regional stores, their model was obviously to standardize, cut costs, and orient to the bottom line. For a business, that's understandable. But in the process, they obliterated all the regionals variety and uniqueness. Downtown Kaufmanns used to be, to use a cliche, 'an experience'. It was enormous, almost a maze, and had so many areas to look through. When I went in right after the conversion to Macys, it was tired, cheap looking displays, poorly kept, trash on the floors, slimmed down selections. I was appalled. And this was right after they made it macys. Same thing here in Tampa. The local chain Burdines used to be great for mens cloths and shoes. I always found things I wanted. Now as macys, its pathetic. Shoes are down to a couple dozen of the same old outdated styles that never change, clothes are either expensive teen or young mens or retired vacationer mens look - those hideous Tommy Bahama or Tommy Hilfiger color blocked crap.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:22 AM

423 posts, read 629,107 times
I try to support that Macy's and at least browse when I have time to kill in the area, but it's like stepping into 1986 there. I like the idea of having department stores downtown, but let's hope it sees a major upgrade. With increased residential down there, we should also see an increase in retail as well.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:30 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
I've been predicting they will close the store, in the end; they don't have special events like they do at Ross Park or South Hills Village any more.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
I try to support that Macy's and at least browse when I have time to kill in the area, but it's like stepping into 1986 there. I like the idea of having department stores downtown, but let's hope it sees a major upgrade. With increased residential down there, we should also see an increase in retail as well.

Residential development in town really doesn't make it much more of a location for a department store.

A retail outlet as big as Macy's is even now, needs to get sufficient numbers of shoppers, and that has to expand far beyond the immediate residential neighborhood.

Getting more stores in the neighborhood would increase the attraction of people going to Macy's. Macy's in Ross Park benefits from the presence of Penney's, Nordstrom, Men's Warehouse and other retailers in the same building. If someone goes to the Macy's in town, isn't sure what they want, there is no place nearby to compare and make their final shopping decision.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I've been predicting they will close the store, in the end; they don't have special events like they do at Ross Park or South Hills Village any more.
It will probably close at some point. Not nearly as cool as Kaufmann's was and shopping in a downtown city the size of Pittsburgh is probably on the way out in general. I did just buy a nice pair of shoes there and even though the selection isn't nearly as good as Kaufmann's and not as upscale, it is still a nice store. I wish it would do well and the apartments make sense considering downsizing is an obvious move. Living above a department store in a building like that, could be pretty nice.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:37 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
You are so right. Macy's is trading on it's reputation from 50 years ago. When it went national and bought up all the regional stores, their model was obviously to standardize, cut costs, and orient to the bottom line. For a business, that's understandable. But in the process, they obliterated all the regionals variety and uniqueness. Downtown Kaufmanns used to be, to use a cliche, 'an experience'. It was enormous, almost a maze, and had so many areas to look through. When I went in right after the conversion to Macys, it was tired, cheap looking displays, poorly kept, trash on the floors, slimmed down selections. I was appalled. And this was right after they made it macys. Same thing here in Tampa. The local chain Burdines used to be great for mens cloths and shoes. I always found things I wanted. Now as macys, its pathetic. Shoes are down to a couple dozen of the same old outdated styles that never change, clothes are either expensive teen or young mens or retired vacationer mens look - those hideous Tommy Bahama or Tommy Hilfiger color blocked crap.
Pretty much the same story in Atlanta. Rich's had the sort of reputation that Kaufmann's had. I guess that era is gone now. Not sure why it had to go but I guess the big box stores took bites out of the major department stores' market share in niche markets. The old department stores had so much variety years ago, but weren't known for good prices...just availabilty. Christmas time...ya just headed to the department stores to do you shopping. Sears might be next and K-Mart too. I'd miss Sears for nostalgia's sake but not K-Mart.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
Pretty cool. Great for Downtown and the City.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:06 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Developer plans apartments on upper floors of Macy's in Downtown Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 05-18-2015, 02:22 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
It's a myth that Macy's bought out those stores. What happened is that when the May Company, and Federated Department Stores merged, they decided that running their stores under various names made it difficult to compete with their competition. The merged company decided to brand most of their stores as Macy's, because that was the one name that was familiar to shoppers nationwide. The idea was good, but the execution, not so much. The reason why Pittsburgh's Macy's are so ho-hum, is because they placed our stores in the midwest division . In their minds, that, and the south were areas that weren't very trendy, and didn't need the latest fashions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh