Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times

Advertisements

I guess when you have nothing, slave labor that gets jobs in a city/town is better than nothing. Oh and if you have family, be warned that a 60 hour work week will be typical. I don't know if they changed since, since my friends have since left for higher paying, less stressful, more livable hours jobs. but benefits lacked.

im just saying.. go ahead and try it if you want, get some experience but those in IT: remember that many folks in the IT field, especially the DC area know about them and don't have high opinion of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I guess when you have nothing, slave labor that gets jobs in a city/town is better than nothing. Oh and if you have family, be warned that a 60 hour work week will be typical. I don't know if they changed since, since my friends have since left for higher paying, less stressful, more livable hours jobs. but benefits lacked.

im just saying.. go ahead and try it if you want, get some experience but those in IT: remember that many folks in the IT field, especially the DC area know about them and don't have high opinion of them.
I know several people who've worked at CSC for many years and like it. And several who worked there and moved on. I'm sure there's some less than ideal parts, but maybe looking at sites like below might give folks a more balanced view of working there.

CSC Employee Reviews | Indeed.com
Working at CSC | Glassdoor

And if you think working 60 hours a week in the IT industry is abhorrent, well, it might not be the line of work for you ... it's hardly uncommon!!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
And if you think working 60 hours a week in the IT industry is abhorrent, well, it might not be the line of work for you ... it's hardly uncommon!!
The key is to work for small companies who are starving for talent and then establish out of the gate that you want a proper work/life balance. They know if they don't provide that balance you'll just go somewhere else and they'll lose the kind of people they need. When you work at a mega corp they really don't care.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:02 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
I'll also chime in that 60 hour weeks is far from a requirement in IT in Pittsburgh.

It might be the norm for managers, or if you're counting hours "on call" (which isn't quite the same thing), but other than that it mostly comes down to either grunt work that is hourly, or salaried work where your hours are more or less dependent on how efficiently you work.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:23 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
the biz journal is reportin that they are looking at leasing north shore I & II from continental since, unlike buncher, it's actually being built. I wonder if NSC designed these buildings to have additional floors if demand warranted it

Old 06-09-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I know several people who've worked at CSC for many years and like it. And several who worked there and moved on. I'm sure there's some less than ideal parts, but maybe looking at sites like below might give folks a more balanced view of working there.

CSC Employee Reviews | Indeed.com
Working at CSC | Glassdoor

60 is a minimum btw. you're expected to do the job of 3 colleges but paid less than 1.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I'll also chime in that 60 hour weeks is far from a requirement in IT in Pittsburgh.

It might be the norm for managers, or if you're counting hours "on call" (which isn't quite the same thing), but other than that it mostly comes down to either grunt work that is hourly, or salaried work where your hours are more or less dependent on how efficiently you work.
the projects will always be understaffed. you will be doing the work of 3-4 employees and allotted time for just one. I know plenty of them guys who put in 80+ hours just to get a project done, and csc doesn't care. im not talking management.

I guess when you have no IT jobs you'd take anything, but being from the DC area.. CSC is at the bottom of places you'd want to work for.

but like I said, I think it can be beneficial for those in IT grads to come and gain experience. get used to being used like TP and tossed away, and hopefully after a while you will have a decent resume to move on up and out.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:02 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
the projects will always be understaffed. you will be doing the work of 3-4 employees and allotted time for just one. I know plenty of them guys who put in 80+ hours just to get a project done, and csc doesn't care. im not talking management.

I guess when you have no IT jobs you'd take anything, but being from the DC area.. CSC is at the bottom of places you'd want to work for.

but like I said, I think it can be beneficial for those in IT grads to come and gain experience. get used to being used like TP and tossed away, and hopefully after a while you will have a decent resume to move on up and out.
lots of consulting places operate like this (not just IT) which is why they recruit young people heavily.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:26 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
60 is a minimum btw. you're expected to do the job of 3 colleges but paid less than 1.
Quote:

I take it you are talking specifically about CSC? Because 60 hours is absolutely not the minimum number of hours for an IT job. It can be much less (and much more, I'm sure).

Old 06-10-2014, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I take it you are talking specifically about CSC? Because 60 hours is absolutely not the minimum number of hours for an IT job. It can be much less (and much more, I'm sure).

CSC goes through employees in IT like Comcast goes through CSR reps. they are always hiring because folks go in and leave.

I don't want to make folks, especially new grads in IT to ignore them, but I want them to know that compared to any other IT company based int he DC area, CSC is at the bottom of the barrel.

I wonder how they'll pay folks here? I know in the DC area they way under pay for an entry job. some over pay and there isn't a consistant range. 20/hr isn't good enough to deal with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh