Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:12 AM

706 posts, read 1,048,810 times

Advertisements

I respect the fact that residents of the area have their concerns about traffic patterns. I just don't agree with those against the project altogether because the building is "too tall" or whatever. Places evolve over time. The time to develop this area is now. Do we still have tanneries and blacksmiths Downtown? Does Chicago have to worry about Mrs. O'leary's cow knocking over a lantern setting the town ablaze? No. The time is now for those shacks to be torn down and that area to be modernized. Some people are just resistant to change. Others just like to be obstructionists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 10:36 AM

423 posts, read 629,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I respect the fact that residents of the area have their concerns about traffic patterns. I just don't agree with those against the project altogether because the building is "too tall" or whatever. Places evolve over time. The time to develop this area is now. Do we still have tanneries and blacksmiths Downtown? Does Chicago have to worry about Mrs. O'leary's cow knocking over a lantern setting the town ablaze? No. The time is now for those shacks to be torn down and that area to be modernized. Some people are just resistant to change. Others just like to be obstructionists.
Some of the complaints presented in the article are really unfounded. There is a ton of rotten, decrepit housing in Oakland, and new construction is definitely needed. These are hardly "big buildings", these are eight- or nine-story buildings in what should be a dense, urban neighborhood.

I wonder how many of these residents actually, well, reside there. I recall reading a Pitt News article over the winter in which a landlord was complaining that Pitt doesn't do enough to remove snow around Oakland. The loudest complainer was a landlord who lives in Hawaii half the year.

The traffic problem won't be helped later this year when the Greenfield Bridge is demolished and rebuilt, thereby taking away an outlet through Schenley Park / Greenfield. Traffic in Oakland, Squirrel Hill, and the tunnels will be a huge problem whether new apartments are built or not, though, and it's a problem that deserves serious thought. New development and the improvement of a hideous entrance into Oakland shouldn't be stopped because of it.

Oakland is getting another 120 to 160 apartments in a high-rise across from Magee Women's Hospital: Redeveloped property holds promise for Oakland - The Pitt News: News Nice to see the neighborhood getting much-needed density and new housing.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:02 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Does anybody know exactly where this is going in? Since is mentions 11 run-down townhouses, I think it must be along Bates between Zulema and Blvd. of the Allies, but I think that could apply to either side of the street, depending on the exact footprint.

Anyway, I'm in agreement with the resident who doesn't want Zulema Street shut and also with not wanting Coltart Street to become mostly student housing. I've never been sure why that street is different, but it very much is.

Last edited by Moby Hick; 06-12-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-12-2014, 11:07 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
The dangerous intersection of Zulema and Bates really needs to be improved before higher density is approved here. If you're coming eastbound (outbound) on Zulema and want to make a left onto Bates, you have to wait at the stop sign to make sure not only that people on the left are obeying their stop sign, but also that there is nobody coming UP Bates Street, as they do not have a stop sign. I've had many close calls here myself while working because sometimes as you want to turn left from Zulema onto Bates your view of traffic heading UP Bates Street is obstructed by large vehicles being backed up heading DOWN Bates Street, and you have to inch out blindly, hoping people aren't FLYING up Bates Street, which they usually are. If any intersection in Pittsburgh was screaming for a rotary/roundabout, this is one of them.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
great, add more horrible traffic than what is currently there. takes me 40 minutes to get from forbes and bouquet st to sq hill tunnel at a minimum around 1-3pm. worse if later.
Why exactly would an apartment complex in Oakland cause more traffic? It will allow more people to live close to work and school.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The dangerous intersection of Zulema and Bates really needs to be improved before higher density is approved here.
I like the idea of a roundabout because that is an awful intersection. It's even worse on foot if you want to cross Bates. But I don't see how the traffic there will get worse because a few more people live on the street. If everything within a block of Zulema and Bates was emptied and leveled, I don't think the traffic would get better at all.

I'm not sure that having a few cars that are local traffic might not help by accustoming drivers to look for cars turning on and off.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:14 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
It's the row which has its back facing on Zulema Park.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's the row which has its back facing on Zulema Park.
Great. That's by far the worst. They aren't planning on taking part of the park, are there?

I hope they leave the billboard, because I've gotten used to being greeted by Ryan Clark on my way past.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:18 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It's even worse on foot if you want to cross Bates.
I always feel so badly for pedestrians trying to cross ANY part of Bates Street. It seems like it's a high-speed death-trap so people who had a bad day at work in Oakland can try to gun it onto the Parkway as fast as they can to get home to Murrysville and sulk all night while listening to Enya music. EVERY intersection there needs well-marked crosswalks AND some of those little yellow "STOP for Pedestrians" signs in the middle of the street to make drivers doubly-aware of pedestrian crossings. As it stands now I'll ALWAYS stop and yield to pedestrians at Bates & Zulema as well as Bates & Semple, both of which have well-marked pedestrian crossings. Bates & McKee? After nearly being rear-ended there one day coming to a sudden stop to try to wave a pedestrian across when there was NO marked crosswalk I now just blow right by pedestrians there like everyone else. Same with Bates & Meyran, unfortunately.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:21 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,435 times
That parklet is small and pretty much useless, I would have no issues seeing it go away for a great high density project like this one.

Oh, and Ryan Clark no longer plays for the Steelers either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh