Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
That parklet is small and pretty much useless, I would have no issues seeing it go away for a great high density project like this one.

Oh, and Ryan Clark no longer plays for the Steelers either.
It isn't a Steelers billboard.

And that park seems very well used by the local dog owning population. I myself wouldn't picnic there or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 12:47 PM

632 posts, read 853,042 times
My dad worked in a US Steel facility located here when I was a small child.
The area is just as ugly today as it was in 1970.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:04 PM

145 posts, read 182,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
and you have to inch out blindly, hoping people aren't FLYING up Bates Street, which they usually are
They're probably rushing to make a delivery.

Oh wait later on you mention they're probably rushing home to Murrysville to listen to Enya...so essentially you are the only person in the entire city who is justifiably ever in a hurry. Everyone else should drive like a maniac when they are in your way and be as patient as possible when they are trying to get somewhere.

Got it.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:09 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMcKelvin View Post
They're probably rushing to make a delivery.
Driving on Bates at rush hour is bad enough that I have no doubt at all SCR is legitimately describing people who drive notably worse than he does.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:57 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Does anybody know exactly where this is going in? Since is mentions 11 run-down townhouses, I think it must be along Bates between Zulema and Blvd. of the Allies, but I think that could apply to either side of the street, depending on the exact footprint.

Anyway, I'm in agreement with the resident who doesn't want Zulema Street shut and also with not wanting Coltart Street to become mostly student housing. I've never been sure why that street is different, but it very much is.
The houses on the left.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bates...54.11,,0,-0.95

Old 06-12-2014, 05:08 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
great, add more horrible traffic than what is currently there. takes me 40 minutes to get from forbes and bouquet st to sq hill tunnel at a minimum around 1-3pm. worse if later.
This development doesn't necessarily mean traffic will get worse. It's a walkable location close to universities and workplaces well-served by transit. The amount of units going in is not likely to make an enormous impact, I'd imagine. If people are able to walk, bike, or take the bus instead of driving, traffic could, in fact, decrease.

Aggressive steps do need to be taken to ensure that developments in core urban areas won't add much to vehicle miles traveled, but this kind of thinking (any development will make traffic horrendous) needs to be combated, too. It will do nothing but hold back needed progress in areas like this. Absurdly enough, this thinking is even holding back new development in places like SF where many residents could easily walk, bike, or take transit. It doesn't help anyone. Opponents argue that parking and traffic will become impossible – unsubstantiated claims. There are other options.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
the rowhouses on the right should go as well.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:13 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
great, add more horrible traffic than what is currently there. takes me 40 minutes to get from forbes and bouquet st to sq hill tunnel at a minimum around 1-3pm. worse if later.
Huh. I work on Fifth an to get from Forbes and Meyran to my home which is on Murray just by the tunnel it takes 15 minutes by bus. If I am driving it takes me 10 or less. I am off work between 3 and 3:30. Never really have a problem.

Forbes to Weightman (turn right) to Poccusset to Murray to the parkway. Once you get out of Oakland traffic is usually not an issue. The ramp onto the parkway from Squirrel Hill can be a bit of a pain but the you are right at the tunnel so it really isn't that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh