Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,074,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
This is what I thought. Mazza sounds like a good bet and a fun weekend outing.

Do you think the wine industry here has potential for growth and improvement? Do you think PA's liquor laws have a negative impact on the local industry?
Part of the problem is that in the Lake Erie region, the larger portion of the grape growing industry is aimed at growing Concord grapes for jelly and inexpensive Kosher wines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:26 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,232,237 times
Quote:
This is what I thought. Mazza sounds like a good bet and a fun weekend outing.

Do you think the wine industry here has potential for growth and improvement? Do you think PA's liquor laws have a negative impact on the local industry?
I'm sure the PA wine industry will improve, especially around Erie where its more conducive to growing vinifera grapes, but the climate is always going to be a limiting factor. Humidity just isn't great for growing top quality grapes and its not hot enough to ripen cabernet-like varieties.

I discovered yesterday that there's 50-ish wineries in Ohio, many along lake Erie. Never tried Ohio wine - sounds like an excuse for a comedy wine tasting trip

Old 06-11-2014, 11:13 AM

22,273 posts, read 47,206,238 times
Quote:
I have friends coming to visit in November and I thought it would be fun to introduce them to the best the region has to offer.
Let me know when you find that!
Seriously, DH and I have yet to find a PA wine we even like, yet alone love.

You can add to the ones already mentioned....
Greendance Winery | The Winery at Sand Hill: Winery | Estate Wine | Wine Tasting | Fruit Wine | Garden Cafe| Pennsylvania |Estate Wines|| Farm | If you go here... get a pie and the raspberry vinaigrette!
Stone Villa Wine Cellars great entertainment lakeside

Old 06-11-2014, 11:19 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,834,624 times
Quote:
I'd like to know of places in and around Pittsburgh to taste regional wines. I'd also like to know about the wineries in and around Erie. I have friends coming to visit in November and I thought it would be fun to introduce them to the best the region has to offer. At this point I've been buying the CA wines I like at the state stores. What is the quality of regional wines and where are the best places to find them?
Well since I am a Yinzer living in Erie and I also like wine, I will do my best to help you here. The websites already posted about Erie wineries are helpful, but I have some more information that might help. I frequent most of the wineries in the Erie area and this includes those across the border in NY and OH. As a general overview, I have to say that I feel NY currently has the best wines for me because I am not as much of a sweet wine person, but PA probably has the best sweet wines out of the 3 areas. Ohio is pretty much somewhere in the middle of sweet and dry varieties and most of the wineries I like in Ohio are not as close to Erie. If you are planning to come to Erie, I recommend hitting a few of the wineries in PA and heading across the border to NY, which is very close to North East anyway. Listed below are the wineries I recommend and a little information about them.

1. Courtyard Winery (North East, PA)
This winery has some good all around wines and is still currently my favorite in PA. The tasting area is very nicely decorated and the Vignoles is awesome and is great if you are looking for a semi-dry and it can be shared with sweet and dry wine drinkers. The Chardonel is a very unique wine that is kind of like Chardonnay, but has a very distinct taste. As a dry wine person I really like the Noiret and I think it is their best red.

2. 6 Mile Cellars (Harborcreek, PA)
This place is relatively new and the renovated barn where you taste wines is very eclectic and has great metal work by a local artist. The wine is a bit on the sweeter side for the most part, but they also have some excellent hard ciders and my wife is a big fan of their sweet wines. Overall, it is a pretty cool and very unique place to go and taste some wines.

3. Mazza (North East, PA and Westfield, NY)
Mazza is by far the most comprehensive winery in the general area and they also own South Shore Wine Company, which is another really awesome architectural building to check out on your visit. Their Italian style wines and Cabernet Franc are my favorites and my wife loves the Bare Bones Moscato. In addition to the wineries in North East, they also own the 5 and 20 spirits in Westfield, NY, which is awesome. I love the atmosphere at this place and the Grappa, Limoncello, and Rye Whiskey are top notch.

4. Sensory Winery and Art Gallery (Ripley, NY)
This is literally right across the border in NY and the wines are just average to me, but the artwork is very cool and the vibe is good. It is worth stopping in if you are hitting the wine trail.

5. Johnson Estate Winery (Westfield, NY)
This is my favorite NY winery that is very close to Erie and like Mazza they have a great variety. The building is also pretty nice and the Merlot is a legitimate Merlot that really tastes good and is one of the few I place up there with California wines.

6. Noble Winery (Westfield, NY)
This place has absolutely one of the most stunning views of the lake along with the actual vineyards. They have my favorite Riesling and my wife loves the Niagara, which is so sweet it is hard to even tell you are drinking alcohol.

These are just some of the better places I have tried and if you are making the trip to Lake Erie wine country in PA, I would highly recommend a trip across the border into Ripley and Westfield to check out some of the wineries. The PA wineries have excellent sweet wines and they are getting better with the dryer and less sweet varieties, but NY has been doing it for a little while longer so they have an edge currently. Mazza is definitely a must visit because they have enough variety that everyone should find something they like and the other places I mentioned are also just interesting to check out because they are unique and have unique features to the properties in addition to the wines. Overall, Lake Erie wine country is getting better and better and it seems like every year a few new wineries are sprouting up as well as new craft breweries and even distilleries. Let me know if you have any questions about specific places or need any further help.

Last edited by trackstar13; 06-11-2014 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 11:31 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,683,933 times
Mulled wine can be delicious; although, wine is not the only ingredient.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,074,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Mulled wine can be delicious; although, wine is not the only ingredient.
yeah - like sangria, it is better when you make it yourself rather than prepackaged!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:54 AM

367 posts, read 457,937 times
Narcisi Winery is very nice for a Pittsburgh area winery.

Home | Narcisi WineryNarcisi Winery

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
This is even better when it's heated!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I've heard that multiple times too! Any time some local PA winery has a sweet fall flavor themed wine they proclaim it is delicious heated. That just does not sound appealing to me.
"Gluhwein", as it is known in German speaking countries. It is outstanding and addictive. Very popular over there during the holiday season, especially at the outdoor Christmas markets.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:01 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I'm sure the PA wine industry will improve, especially around Erie where its more conducive to growing vinifera grapes, but the climate is always going to be a limiting factor. Humidity just isn't great for growing top quality grapes and its not hot enough to ripen cabernet-like varieties.
It would seem that regional wineries should focus on varieties that do well in this climate, not those that require a CA/Mediterranean climate.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,232,237 times
Quote:
It would seem that regional wineries should focus on varieties that do well in this climate, not those that require a CA/Mediterranean climate.
I agree, but it is amazing to watch people in tasting rooms pay $25 for a 'reserve' red that I would be afraid to cook with. The level of wine knowledge in the populace is in general very low and an enthusiastic and persuasive server can do wonders. But hey, each to their own ... it takes a lot of practice to figure wine out properly. A lot

I tasted a 2002 Greek dessert wine at Legume last night. That was a first .... and possibly a last!!

Old 06-11-2014, 01:34 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I agree, but it is amazing to watch people in tasting rooms pay $25 for a 'reserve' red that I would be afraid to cook with. The level of wine knowledge in the populace is in general very low and an enthusiastic and persuasive server can do wonders. But hey, each to their own ... it takes a lot of practice to figure wine out properly. A lot !
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia both have thriving food scenes. Foodies demand quality local, artisanal products. Seems like an opportunity for regional wineries that specialize in varietals that do well in this climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh