U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 10:10 AM

1,073 posts, read 993,141 times

Advertisements

I guess after these concerts, it cements Pittsburgh as a midwest city

It is disgusting to view these pictures about all the trash in the parking lot and workers using stinkin' shovels to scoop up the garbage. I bet these are the same people that leave their shopping cart in the parking spot.. They have the mindset hat, "Someone else will take care of this. I am here to party and watch a concert. I don't have to do this, etc"

I read in an article that there were cars in the parking lots with out of state plates. Not just from bordering states but like Tennessee and Texas. Plus some of the arrests had home addresses of Kittanning and Scottdale. This is like some kind of annual pilgrimage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 11:51 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,367,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I think it's hilarious when people dismiss data simply because it doesn't square with their anecdotes, especially when the data they dismiss is considered the benchmark by those who work in the multi-billion-dollar industry that it measures.

I also think it's hilarious when "not as strong of a market in Pittsburgh as it is in peer cities" somehow gets interpreted as "not a strong market in Pittsburgh." Of course, people with poor reading comprehension skills tend to shoot messengers a lot.

By the way, here's the benchmark data for the highest-rated Country radio stations in Pittsburgh and various Northeastern and Midwestern cities as of May 2014:

11.0 - Columbus
WCOL, 92.3 FM
Highest-rated radio station in the market
There are no other Country stations with significant ratings in the market

9.1 - Cincinnati
WUBE, 105.1 FM
Second-highest-rated radio station in the market
There are two other Country stations with significant ratings in the market

9.0 - Milwaukee
WMIL, 106.1 FM

8.2 - Hartford
WWYZ, 92.5 FM

7.5 - St. Louis
WIL, 92.3 FM
There is one other Country station with significant ratings in the market

7.4 - Baltimore
WPOC, 93.1 FM

7.4 - Cleveland
WGAR, 99.5 FM
Third-highest-rated radio station in the market

7.3 - Kansas City
KFKF, 94.1 FM
Highest-rated radio station in the market
There are two other Country stations with significant ratings in the market

7.3 - Providence
WCTK, 98.1 FM
Fourth-highest-rated radio station in the market

6.9 - Minneapolis/St. Paul
KEEY, 102.1 FM
Fifth-highest-rated radio station in the market

6.9 - Pittsburgh
WDSY, 107.9 FM

6.8 - Boston
WKLB, 102.5 FM

6.3 - Indianapolis
WFMS, 95.5 FM
Third-highest-rated radio station in the market

5.9 - Philadelphia
WXTU, 92.5 FM

5.5 - Detroit
WYCD, 99.5 FM

4.4 - Chicago
WUSN, 99.5 FM

3.6 - Washington DC
WMZQ, 98.7 FM
13th-highest-rated radio station in the market

1.9 - New York
WNSH, 94.7 FM
19th-highest-rated radio station in the market
There are no Country stations with significant ratings in the market

Notes

1. "Significant" ratings are defined as ratings of 2.0 or higher.

2. Buffalo and Rochester use quarterly ratings instead of monthly, so they were not included, but Country stations are currently the highest-rated in both markets.

It appears that despite WDSY having solid ratings, Pittsburgh is still a softer Country market among major Northeastern and Midwestern metropolitan areas than all but Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Washington DC and New York, considering Indianapolis and Detroit both have more than one Country station with significant ratings.

Just the facts, ma'am.

Oh thanks, I knew someone would follow through. I forgot we rewound to 1986 and FM radio is the only method for listening to music. The internet doesn't exist. You are right, country is not a popular genre in Pittsburgh and the largest show in Heinz Field history wasn't a Luke Bryan concert. We don't make national news every year for the past two years due to people trashing the North Shore like it's country music Woodstock. I'm guessing WDVE or some station like that is rated higher in Pittsburgh? I guess that means that ALL Pittsburghers listen to repeats of Aerosmith and White Snake. How long have your been in Athens, Gnutella? I think your perspective is a bit skewed.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM

4,601 posts, read 5,616,219 times
Country music is massive in this city. Anyone who says otherwise may literally be putting their fingers in their ears and going "la la la, I can't hear you".

I don't know how it is even debatable, has anyone ever been outside?

Old 06-23-2014, 12:42 PM

5,848 posts, read 6,635,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Country music is massive in this city. Anyone who says otherwise may literally be putting their fingers in their ears and going "la la la, I can't hear you".

I say otherwise and I go outside all the time. I don't ever hear country music in the background when I walk into a store or a restaurant or blasting from an open car window. In Nebraska (the only other place I'm in often enough to know about), even in the cities it's nearly always country music in the air when you wander around in public. For example, I spent a fair amount of time in bars, some with jukeboxes and some where the bar picks the music. I never hear country music. I'm not at a country bar, but in Nebraska even the bars that aren't country bars will have country music playing fairly often, especially if they have a jukebox.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:46 PM
gg

17,035 posts, read 17,266,056 times
Quote:

I don't think it is "massive" in the city. It is pretty big outside the city around here, but probably the third most listened to music type. Sadly, it is in front of classical.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:49 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,897,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I say otherwise and I go outside all the time. I don't ever hear country music in the background when I walk into a store or a restaurant or blasting from an open car window.
I agree!

Old 06-23-2014, 12:50 PM

4,601 posts, read 5,616,219 times
I have heard country music blast from cars countless times. I find it hard to believe that anyone hasn't heard the same thing. I still have nightmares from the pop country blasting when I was dragged out to Carson City Saloon.

I'm not talking about George Jones being blasted either, I'm talking about that Florida Georgia line type of stuff. Sometimes that kind of music is so poppy that you might not be able to tell that it's country.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 PM
gg

17,035 posts, read 17,266,056 times
Quote:
I have heard country music blast from cars countless times.
There is one big country station and it ranks 4th. It has no competition to speak of. I think that tells the story best. I would agree it isn't small though. I find it sort of depressing for the most part, but some of it was okay. YEEEEHAWWWWW, lets trash Pittsburgh and god bless America! (flags waving in air!)

Old 06-23-2014, 01:10 PM

5,889 posts, read 5,509,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I here's the benchmark data for the highest-rated Country radio stations in Pittsburgh and various Northeastern and Midwestern cities as of May 2014:
The real question is, does anyone under the age of 35 listen to terrestrial radio anymore?

Old 06-23-2014, 01:14 PM

56 posts, read 72,544 times
Quote:

Ha, Ha I think there is a lot of people with their fingers in their ears in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh