Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 01:56 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If there's anything I've learned as a Pittsburgher it's that people from New York will continuously tell me that I've never actually eaten good pizza.
It's hard to do, when you don't live in a "real" city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 02:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
If there's anything I've learned as a Pittsburgher it's that people from New York will continuously tell me that I've never actually eaten good pizza.
I'm from Connecticut. So I'm even worse

Old 02-06-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Tried Anthony's Coal Fired and liked it. They call it "well done" but I didn't find it well done.
I like ACF. Great for a chain. Closest thing to a New Haven-style pizza out this way. Try one with the stingers.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:33 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I like ACF. Great for a chain. Closest thing to a New Haven-style pizza out this way. Try one with the stingers.
Better than Harry's?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:51 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times
First time I went to Harry's 10 years ago was one of the best pizza experience s of my life. Second time a couple years later wasn't quite as magical... but I suppose I should try it again... but I'm never in Peters.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:03 PM

373 posts, read 377,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
God, those peppers are insane. I was not ready. I love spicy stuff but assumed these peppers would be 'hot' the way a Wendy's 'spicy' chicken sandwich is. Nope! Had a great meal though. And it was funny - it varied wildly from pepper to pepper. My first piece had STING to it, my friend thought I was crazy until his second slice did the same to him. Cool place

Old 02-06-2015, 08:21 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
methinks Americans doth take their diversity in pizza styles a tad too seriously ...

Old 02-06-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Better than Harry's?
I haven't been to the ACF in McMurray. But the one in Robinson had a nice chewy crust and would be in my personal top 10 in Pittsburgh. I think I would put it above Harry's.

I still put Claudio's over both of them though.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:35 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
You got that right!

Old 02-07-2015, 07:01 PM

387 posts, read 470,740 times
Portofino's in Crafton.
Just a pepperoni pizza, no need for other toppings if you want a cheap pie.
They usually have an x-lg w/1 topping special for $10.99
--or their totally awesome pepperoni rolls--just home made dough/pepperoni & cheese--an order of them is $6.95. I think you get 6-8 depending on size. These are so ridiculously good.
Because of their pepperoni & my addiction to their pepperoni rolls, I call this place "crack pizza" because I am addicted. They might well be owned by greeks.
I do not care because their food is consistantly good. They have gyros too--lots of meat & home made baklava. Their gyro platter is a great deal & it comes with a side--you can get fries/mushrooms/onion rings etc.

There is a portofinos on rt 51--it ain't the same. Doesn't have the same effect at all.

Cestone's in Mt Washington has good pizza, & their calzones are done your way-sauce/ricotta etc-then you choose ANY 3 toppings--not bad for 9.50/10.00 which makes it nice if you don't want the basics. I got creative last time & did capicolla/pineapple/onions (told 'em hold the tomato sauce)--not bad at all!

If you're in the hood you can get a good stromboli at Paisano's on Warrington Ave in Allentown for $9.75--
***Yes they have pepperoni stromboli ***
Their calzones are very good as well $10.50.
I prefer the italian calzone hold the sauce, I like my sauce on the side to dip. Their italian calzone has pepperoni/mushrooms/sausage/sauce/cheese. It's good dough too.
For Paisano's--I do not appreciate their pizza at all, but I do like their calzones/strombolis.
Order ahead & don't hang out in the neighborhood or look too hard at the pizza shop, because it's a hole in the wall. Just don't think about it. Get in & get out.

Fiori's is good when I want a sweet sauce & sweet dough. I love the fact that they use a good dose of cheese. The trick to Fiori's is that too many toppings ruins the pizza, so just 1-2 topping max.

I am *DISGUSTED* with Vincent's in Greentree.
After many years of inconsistant pizza, & crappier service, I will never order from them again. They are cheap & sneaky.
I wanted a white seafood pizza, had a bad craving for scallops. Had people hungry waiting at home.
I was willing to pay for double scallops--So I paid $32 for a seafood pizza--I was so excited, I could not wait to get home.
Got home--my $32 pizza, of which $16.00 extra was paid for the privledge of extra scallops--my pizza consisted of what looked like a total of 4 scallops MINCED & a couple of itty bitty salad shrimp, maybe 8-10 teeny 1.5 cm shrimp. It was FLAVORLESS but smelled FISHY--their "white sauce" is just that cheap "garlic butter" flavored oil-the kind that cheap restaurants buy in 1 gallon jugs-I know that flavor anywhere-I would have been more satisfied with a frozen totinos pizza--microwaved.
Never again Vincent's of Greentree--lost a bunch of customers for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh