Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:42 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Its really not up to the mayor to raise taxes, but instead its up to the city council if they want to raise the people's taxes.

would there be much sympathy in much of the city to raise taxes to overhaul this highway and renovate a little used sidewalk? I don't think I've ever seen a single pedestrian on that stretch of Bigelow over the past 50 years.
But the mayor of SimCity can raise taxes...

It is humorous that someone with political aspirations has such a poor understanding of how government works and thinks that raising taxes is the answer to all the city's problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 09:30 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
It sounds like something that the Polish Hill civic group would spearhead with the help of their city councilperson, not to take straight to the Mayor.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:38 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
Bigelow is also State Rt.380 for most of its length so PennDot might have to get involved in its repair too. I know that the state had to repave Western Ave. in Allegheny West and Manchester because it's still officially part of Rt. 28. If you look at the old maps, Western was called West Ohio and was connected direction to East Ohio which was 28.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I always find it humorous when people balk at tax increases. Have you seen our infrastructure lately? It's collapsing and crumbling everywhere---not just Bigelow Boulevard (which does have a surprising number of pedestrians, by the way). You can take out loans in order to pay for everything upfront and then kick the responsibility of paying for it down the road to our posterity, or you can stomach paying more NOW out of pocket to prevent our future generations from being responsible.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:04 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I always find it humorous when people balk at tax increases. Have you seen our infrastructure lately? It's collapsing and crumbling everywhere---not just Bigelow Boulevard (which does have a surprising number of pedestrians, by the way). You can take out loans in order to pay for everything upfront and then kick the responsibility of paying for it down the road to our posterity, or you can stomach paying more NOW out of pocket to prevent our future generations from being responsible.
Doesn't sound like a winning political stump speech to me. Maybe throw in some yinzer insults, spice it up a bit ...

Old 07-05-2014, 12:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Probably be a better idea to find items on the budget that aren't as critical and cut those-- to provide the funds needed for the Bigelow sidewalk project.

The problems that Mr. Peduto would have in a tax increase proposal is that he didn't mention this when he ran for office. Had the mayor stood up and made this a plank in his platform, he'd be in better shape to ask for it.

The other problem is that the city of Pittsburgh is in competition with the surrounding municipalities in attracting residents and business. Big increases will make the city less attractive to taxpayers looking to make a move.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:00 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
I always find it humorous when people balk at tax increases. Have you seen our infrastructure lately?
I find it more humorous that you continually feel raising taxes is a better solution than cutting WASTE! The amount of waste in our city, state and country is absurd. I have no problem paying taxes if they actually did something for us instead of doing things for those that have jobs on the taxpayer's dime. What we need is less government employees and more privatization. We can have a government oversee the private companies work and oversee the bidding process. If we did that, then you would see massive improvement in quality and quantity of work being done. If we are just throwing money at the same old bin, we are just throwing it away. They will just hire more people to hang out and do nothing.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:03 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
But the mayor of SimCity can raise taxes...

It is humorous that someone with political aspirations has such a poor understanding of how government works and thinks that raising taxes is the answer to all the city's problems.
This happens with all levels of government. People don't have a very good grasp of who is responsible for what and often tend to greatly exaggerate the power of the executive in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh