Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times

Advertisements

DC also lacks a lot of riverfront residential options -- true a lot of land along the Potomac is set aside for parks, but even in residential areas by the river, there is not that much in terms of upscale residential condos or apartments. I just don't think it's as much of a draw as many people think when it comes to putting out significant extra $$, people have other priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:51 AM

338 posts, read 446,686 times
The riverhounds stadium was the biggest waste of space ever. We will look back on that in 10 years and wonder what the hell we were thinking. It is a mediocre high school stadium sitting on some of the best land in the city and its used sparingly. It disgusts me.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:59 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
The only real riverfront one of those is Washington's Landing, the others have obstruction.

Sadly there aren't many riverfront places in our region and never will be.
Cork Factory absolutely doesn't have obstruction. Its back directly faces a riverfront trail, and there is a marina (which I think is part of the complex) directly behind it.

Now, it's true that it's on a small bluff, but this is true of basically every buildable riverbank in Pittsburgh. You're not going to want to have a low-lying plain right next to the water due to the flood risk.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:11 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
The riverhounds stadium was the biggest waste of space ever. We will look back on that in 10 years and wonder what the hell we were thinking. It is a mediocre high school stadium sitting on some of the best land in the city and its used sparingly. It disgusts me.
I don't agree. For one thing, the stadium seating is so lightly built that I think part of the plan is that in ten or twenty years it can be replaced with something else or a more substantial stadium if the team catches on. For another, before the stadium was added, it was a just as lightly used concert venue. Possibly even more lightly used as there is quite a bit of youth soccer that happens there. Also, I don't know about best land. It certainly has a very good view and a nice breeze, but there's just so much surface parking in that area and a stadium is a clear improvement over that.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 AM

632 posts, read 853,042 times
Historically wealthier people in this region preferred to live on the hilltops, as land along the
rivers is so prone to flooding.

I had grandparents from Wheeling, WV. They lived on Wheeling Island. My dad has a bunch
of old photos of them going down the streets in a rowboat. The island would flood at least
every other year. Their #1 goal in life was to somehow earn enough money to buy a house
on top of the hill and get off that island.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:37 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
The only real riverfront one of those is Washington's Landing, the others have obstruction.
So walking down a ramp to the river trail is not "riverfront". Man we are mighty picky now aren't we?

Quote:
Sadly there aren't many riverfront places in our region and never will be.
I know you love being over-dramatic about these things, but I already mentioned in my last post a ton of projects in the pipeline for riverfront residential right now.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
Historically wealthier people in this region preferred to live on the hilltops, as land along the
rivers is so prone to flooding.
are you sure about that? seems like a lot of wealthy people lived in allegheny city judging by the housing. it's my understanding tha the hilltops were less desirable since that's where the smog was the worst. could be wrong of course and that could be different during different periods in history.

as for riverfront residential the north shore just makes sense but the stadium group opposes dense development. it's not cut off, it's right across from downtown. true, the highways make the area inordinately small but there's no reason you couldn't have a 25 story building right next to pnc park. looking to the future not only is the strip wide open but so is the area across the river. there is direct access the river, though again the massive highways are a problem ni that they cut it off from the traditional neighborhoods, or what's left of them. washington's landing seems like a missed opportunity, developed during the wrong period. anyway, outside of the north shore I think Pittsburgh just hasn't hit that point yet but as the stock of underutilized older buildings dwindle, new construction will be the only way for developers to build.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:12 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
In the burbs that has been some upscale development along the river. In O'Hara there are two complexes. One across from the Waterworks and another on the other side of Blawnox. Also, Kacin is killing it at Edgewater in Oakmont.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:08 PM

733 posts, read 986,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I don't agree. For one thing, the stadium seating is so lightly built that I think part of the plan is that in ten or twenty years it can be replaced with something else or a more substantial stadium if the team catches on. For another, before the stadium was added, it was a just as lightly used concert venue. Possibly even more lightly used as there is quite a bit of youth soccer that happens there. Also, I don't know about best land. It certainly has a very good view and a nice breeze, but there's just so much surface parking in that area and a stadium is a clear improvement over that.
I'm with Moby Hick. The Riverhounds stadium is definitely an improvement on what was there prior.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine the soccer team going pro in 5-7 years, and if that happens and the stadium is built up accordingly, it will end up being a really great long term plan.

Edit: Plus, I've gone to some of the soccer games there and really had a blast. I've never watched soccer before.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
I believe the Riverhounds' owners have actually come out and said that they're shooting to be full-on MLS within the next decade. And that that stadium was built to be highly expandable (or replaced).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh