Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

This is slightly above budget, but it's IN Prospect and the land literally butts up against Moraine State Park. That's access to an incredible number of state acres for horseback riding. Being able to walk to the lake is cool too. The commute would be nonexistent. The house is outdated but it has HUGE barn on 25 acres. Maybe you can get them down below 450k since it's outdated.

189 Grindel Rd, Prospect, PA 16052 is For Sale - Zillow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 01:02 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
I knew Prospect was around Butler County, but didn't realize how far north it was until I google-mapped it.

I don't think there is a problem with what the OP is asking for, in terms of housing and acres. It is evident that it exists in Western PA. I would suggest focusing on an area that meets your needs in terms of school district and community/shopping/dining amenities and then look for the house within those parameters.

My suggestions are to search by school district: I would look into Seneca Valley, Mars, and South Butler County for starters. They're the stronger school districts of Butler County and offer amenities in terms of shopping and dining and possibly community centers with pools, etc.

If nothing works there, I would maybe try Slippery Rock Area Schools, and Grove City Area Schools. The idea that Slippery Rock is a college town and seems to be near Prospect, will offer some amenities. Grove City is fairly rural, a smaller-college town, and also offers access to Grove City Premium Outlets and some surrounding restaurants. These are decent school districts and would be about a 20-minute drive to Prospect, it seems. However, probably about 50-60 minutes to amenities in Downtown Pittsburgh.

EDIT: I don't know anything wrong with Butler Area School District, either, but maybe others on here can tell you why they would not recommend it. It seems larger than Canal Winchester Local Schools in Ohio, but I can't imagine much else would be different.

Welcome to Pittsburgh, and good luck with your search. Don't hesitate to ask questions on here, despite the unfriendly vibe some users give, most will do their best to help you.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:32 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
If nothing works there, I would maybe try Slippery Rock Area Schools, and Grove City Area Schools. The idea that Slippery Rock is a college town and seems to be near Prospect, will offer some amenities. Grove City is fairly rural, a smaller-college town, and also offers access to Grove City Premium Outlets and some surrounding restaurants. These are decent school districts and would be about a 20-minute drive to Prospect, it seems. However, probably about 50-60 minutes to amenities in Downtown Pittsburgh.

No way. I drive this stretch a lot to go back and forth to Erie. It takes longer than 50 min to get from the city of Pittsburgh to Slippery Rock. Fridays and holidays can be a nightmare with the construction. Don't forget the winter. It can be double the time during a snow storm.

Prospect is barren except for hardware and convenience stores. The best shopping would be at the Outlets or the Moraine Pointe developments in Butler.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Prospect is barren except for hardware and convenience stores. The best shopping would be at the Outlets or the Moraine Pointe developments in Butler.
Those are the areas where my sister shops in addition to Cranberry.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:47 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
No way. I drive this stretch a lot to go back and forth to Erie. It takes longer than 50 min to get from the city of Pittsburgh to Slippery Rock. Fridays and holidays can be a nightmare with the construction. Don't forget the winter. It can be double the time during a snow storm.

According to Google Maps, it is 5.5 mi, 8 minutes from the center of Prospect to Moraine Pointe Plaza. I think it takes most people longer than that to drive to the grocery store. There is also the Clearview Mall, which is 15 minutes from Prospect.

I'm not sure what the "No way," comment was in regard to. If it was in reference to the OP's comment about "which will limit his commute to hopefully under 45 minutes and perhaps have the same or less to drive to Pittsburgh whenever we want," I would bet that would be the first thing she would give up. Driving to downtown Pittsburgh from the north is always easier than any other direction. A trip to downtown can easily turn into a 45 minute drive from the east, west or southern outlying parts of Allegheny County on any day or time.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:00 PM

I'm sure she'll be flexible for her drive time to Pittsburgh since she's only needing to go there for things like Penguin game and zoo excursions.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:35 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
A trip to downtown can easily turn into a 45 minute drive from the east, west or southern outlying parts of Allegheny County on any day or time.
45 min - Possibly during a Steelers home game.

You might be able to find land in South Butler. As far as drug use, it is all throughout the US. If it is not hard core drugs, then it is prescription pills. Your kids are going to cross it sometime. Doesn't matter where you live.

Last edited by bluecarebear; 07-13-2014 at 07:51 PM..

Old 07-13-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
45 min - Possibly during a Steelers home game.

The OP is going to have to live south of Prospect with any chance of getting to Pittsburgh in 45 min. I won't even suggest the Moraine area because 68 is a mess during rush hour.
Her husband WORKS in Prospect.

You are missing the point that being 45 minutes from Pittsburgh isn't mandatory. Nobody will be commuting there during rush hour. Pittsburgh is merely for pleasure. The rest of their criteria is more important. If she needs to live an hour from Pittsburgh to have everything else she wants, she'll do that.

My sister lives in the Moraine area of Prospect, not to the south. Both sides of her extended family are in the Pittsburgh area. They come into town regularly for family gatherings, sporting events at the stadiums, concerts, zoo, and all sorts of things. It's very doable for leisure.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:38 PM

35 posts, read 47,409 times
I wanted to give an update to all of you that were providing me with your insight and knowledge. After 5 trips to see houses in the areas north of Pittsburgh, I have learned more about the schools and communities (at least a few of them). We really liked a house in Saxonburg which had 20 acres and the Knoch Senior High School is rated highly but we are unsure of living somewhere so rural. We found a house in Prospect with 20 acres and love the lay of the land and the proximity to my husband's office but we do not like the Slippery Rock Schools at all plus it is a bit rural also. We looked at a house with 5 acres in Harmony and it is definitely a nice area with excellent rated schools and an easy commute for my husband but the house did not have the most ideal layout for us and the placement of the house on the property decreased the area for horses. There is a 5 acre tract next door, not for sale, which we half-heartedly tried to contact the owner about buying but that would just be more money and the house itself lacked privacy which we prefer. We decided to expand our search and discovered Beaver/Brighton Township. LOVE IT!!!!!!! Beaver is PERFECT for us!!! Except for the longer commute for my husband. We are currently looking at 2 different houses in Beaver, one with 10 acres and one with almost 7 acres, and assessing their suitability for horses. I hate for my husband to travel so far for work but I must say that we both think Beaver is the best fit for our family.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I hear Beaver is good.
Just wanted to say that my husband has a horrendous commute also ; 77miles each way daily, so I hear you loud and clear.

Hopefully it will work out for you and I am so jealous of the 5-7 acres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh