U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-21-2007, 09:35 AM
 
743 posts, read 1,432,560 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
If you want me to treat you like an adult, then learn how to spell simple words like "ridiculous".
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
You answered my question with a question. I used to do that back in 8th grade. Answer my questions and I'll answer yours. Like adults do.


Let's keep it civil please. Come on now.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2007, 09:45 AM
 
93 posts, read 192,375 times
Reputation: 24
PPG, it's interesting to me that you would try to make an appeal to adult discourse, given the nature of your initial response to my post. Making comments like, "IMO this is the most rediculous (sic) statement on this forum yet" is the kind of ill-conceived remark I would expect from an eighth grader (to use your reference). It's altogether a shrill and simplistic way to engage in a discussion. It reminds me of a teenager who feels offended at being made to sit at the "children's table" at Thanksgiving, and tries to get attention by screaming inflammatory nonsense. Do you honestly believe that I'm going to reinforce you by taking your questions seriously? You've given nothing to the conversation, yet you are self-indulgently demanding answers to your questions? I don't understand that at all. And then you start talking about what adult discussion entails... I find that ironic.

But I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you've just temporarily regressed to pre-adulthood. I know the risks of rewarding negative behavior, but I'm going to take a chance (partially because of the moderator's request to "keep it civil")...

It's perfectly acceptable for you to believe whatever you want on the subject. But I have based my comments upon personal experience. There are a "couple streets" north of Jacksonia (west of Federal) that I would probably try to avoid at night. That's never been an issue though, because I have no purpose for going there. If you know anything about the North Side, then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Whether or not I watch news is not germane to the point- I don't rely on the local network news to form my judgments about the safety of a particular area. As far as the incident with the man being shot in the chest... that wouldn't effect how I feel about the North Side, one way or another. And I'm not comparing the North Side to "Utopian Edens" where nothing bad ever happens. In fact, nobody but yourself seems to be doing that on this thread.

Now I await your responses to the questions in my earlier post.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 AM
 
666 posts, read 1,257,732 times
Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
...There are a "couple streets" north of Jacksonia (west of Federal) that I would probably try to avoid at night...
I am in no way attempting to join in on the debate here, but I was wondering if you thought that North Ave along West/North/East Parks is safe at night? I really like the restaurant called Sassy Marie's on Foreland and Moravian Way, and I have been reading about the Garden Theater happenings and wanted to check it out right after meeting some family at Sassy Marie's for dinner. The sun had just gone down, I walked over to the Garden Theater on North Ave, and it had me a little concerned for my safety. There were some unsavory-looking characters hanging around on the stoops of abondoned buildings, and there were no other pedestrians walking around. It certainly didn't feel like the most savory area to me, but I only had one experience. I was hoping that the redevelopment of North Ave would completely reverse this. Any thoughts are welcome.


I also wanted to comment on the below:
Quote:
Do you watch the news?
Is this the same northside where a man stumbled into the police station with 3 bullets in his chest?
Just wanted to say that, while you certainly don't want to be around violent gang-like activity, I think that most people that are the victims of these crimes are people who are involved. You don't usually hear of a well-to-do person getting shot, its usually someone who was being targeted for getting involved with the wrong people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 11:56 AM
 
93 posts, read 192,375 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I am in no way attempting to join in on the debate here, but I was wondering if you thought that North Ave along West/North/East Parks is safe at night? I really like the restaurant called Sassy Marie's on Foreland and Moravian Way, and I have been reading about the Garden Theater happenings and wanted to check it out right after meeting some family at Sassy Marie's for dinner. The sun had just gone down, I walked over to the Garden Theater on North Ave, and it had me a little concerned for my safety. There were some unsavory-looking characters hanging around on the stoops of abondoned buildings, and there were no other pedestrians walking around. It certainly didn't feel like the most savory area to me, but I only had one experience. I was hoping that the redevelopment of North Ave would completely reverse this. Any thoughts are welcome.


I also wanted to comment on the below:


Just wanted to say that, while you certainly don't want to be around violent gang-like activity, I think that most people that are the victims of these crimes are people who are involved. You don't usually hear of a well-to-do person getting shot, its usually someone who was being targeted for getting involved with the wrong people.

After reading some of the comments in this thread, it's quite obvious to me that a feeling of personal safety is extremely relative. Whether or not you are going to find North Avenue comfortable depends upon the depth of your experiences within urban environments. I've been to many parties along North Avenue, and never had any problems. Generally if you have a reason to be somewhere, people will leave you be. I've also walked all over the North Side, taking photographs with $1500 worth of camera equipment. Once again- no problem. Would I advocate wandering around aimlessly in confusion? No, because then you are a target.

There is a lot of traffic on North Avenue, and this makes it safer- even at night. I wouldn't be expecting a "complete reversal" of the area, because no one who loves the North Side wants to turn it into a suburban mall. Your final insights are right on.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 05:02 PM
PPG
 
507 posts, read 996,676 times
Reputation: 170
Default Speak for yourself please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
PPG, it's interesting to me that you would try to make an appeal to adult discourse, given the nature of your initial response to my post. Making comments like, "IMO this is the most rediculous (sic) statement on this forum yet" is the kind of ill-conceived remark I would expect from an eighth grader (to use your reference). It's altogether a shrill and simplistic way to engage in a discussion. It reminds me of a teenager who feels offended at being made to sit at the "children's table" at Thanksgiving, and tries to get attention by screaming inflammatory nonsense. Do you honestly believe that I'm going to reinforce you by taking your questions seriously? You've given nothing to the conversation, yet you are self-indulgently demanding answers to your questions? I don't understand that at all. And then you start talking about what adult discussion entails... I find that ironic.

But I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you've just temporarily regressed to pre-adulthood. I know the risks of rewarding negative behavior, but I'm going to take a chance (partially because of the moderator's request to "keep it civil")...

It's perfectly acceptable for you to believe whatever you want on the subject. But I have based my comments upon personal experience. There are a "couple streets" north of Jacksonia (west of Federal) that I would probably try to avoid at night. That's never been an issue though, because I have no purpose for going there. If you know anything about the North Side, then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Whether or not I watch news is not germane to the point- I don't rely on the local network news to form my judgments about the safety of a particular area. As far as the incident with the man being shot in the chest... that wouldn't effect how I feel about the North Side, one way or another. And I'm not comparing the North Side to "Utopian Edens" where nothing bad ever happens. In fact, nobody but yourself seems to be doing that on this thread.

Now I await your responses to the questions in my earlier post.
I live in manchester and have lived on the northside my entire life. I have seen a lot of stuff that most people wish not to see. I also lived on the southside and westside so I have something to compare it to.

Please do yourself a favor and search this forum about the mexican war streets. The majority of people say bad things about this place, except for the historic houses. When you say that the northside is not one of those places to avoid you are OBVIOUSLY speaking for YOURSELF.

No one on this forum agrees with you even though it may be YOUR truth.
Maybe you should move from the northside so you can see that homeless people sleeping on the street is not normal or "cool".

As for the shootings, I feel bad for you if these things do not bother YOU. MOST people do not want to be around people getting shot even if it has nothing to do with them. Ignorance at it finest, because everyone knows that bullets have names. SMH.

So Mr. know it all, tell me about brighton place, tell me about kirkbride, tell me about sheffield, tell me about charles st., alpine, perrysville, wilson ave, adams st., federal st., north ave, california, and countless other streets and alleys that YOU claim are safe. It is you disagreeing with popular opinion/fact. In the past year I have witness 5 or so shootings. But hey, whats a shooting hear and there as long as it's not me right!?

Just because YOU feel safe doesn't mean everyone else will feel the same way. Btw, the northside has more homicides than any other side of the city. YAY murder!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 05:07 PM
PPG
 
507 posts, read 996,676 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
There were some unsavory-looking characters hanging around on the stoops of abondoned buildings, and there were no other pedestrians walking around. It certainly didn't feel like the most savory area to me,
Yes this is what MOST of the northside looks like, always. Don't listen to that guy. He is probably a future victim not knowing it. This is a really dumb argument. Go to any of the places and see for YOURSELF. Come back and report what is was like. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Central Northside
119 posts, read 297,783 times
Reputation: 51
Default 2cents on the North Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
Yes this is what MOST of the northside looks like, always. Don't listen to that guy. He is probably a future victim not knowing it. This is a really dumb argument. Go to any of the places and see for YOURSELF. Come back and report what is was like. Thanks.
I absolutely agree. The best way to find out about a neighborhood is to go there, walk around, talk with residents, and find out the real scoop.

In regards to the North Side, what makes it such a 'unique' place, for better or worse, is that both side of the arguement can and are true, depending on one's situation and experiences.

A professional living in the War Streets in a 4BR, fully restored Victorian-era home, who chooses to only associate with other like-minded neighbors, will end up with a completely different perception of their neighborhood than someone living four blocks away on say Armandale or Alpine St., who has seen family and friends become crime statistics over the years. Some of us who have lived on the North Side have had very good experiences, while others have had very bad.

In the end of the day, what matters is that there are people in neighborhoods who care for the well being of the community and quality of life of those who call it home. Yes, the North Side as a whole has its share of daunting, terrible, heartbreaking problems, like the prevalence of gang and drug culture among many (not all) of the youth. If there's to be any hope, its the fact that there are many civic groups, neighborhood organizations, non-profits, and churches on the North Side who are tirelessly commited to tackling these big problems. They haven't thrown in the towel, and will not, even though I'm sure many folks will tell them that they should.

Last edited by vtPGH; 12-21-2007 at 06:26 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
43,978 posts, read 53,863,752 times
Reputation: 36653
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
I live in manchester and have lived on the northside my entire life. I have seen a lot of stuff that most people wish not to see. I also lived on the southside and westside so I have something to compare it to.

Please do yourself a favor and search this forum about the mexican war streets. The majority of people say bad things about this place, except for the historic houses. When you say that the northside is not one of those places to avoid you are OBVIOUSLY speaking for YOURSELF.

No one on this forum agrees with you even though it may be YOUR truth.
Maybe you should move from the northside so you can see that homeless people sleeping on the street is not normal or "cool".

As for the shootings, I feel bad for you if these things do not bother YOU. MOST people do not want to be around people getting shot even if it has nothing to do with them. Ignorance at it finest, because everyone knows that bullets have names. SMH.

So Mr. know it all, tell me about brighton place, tell me about kirkbride, tell me about sheffield, tell me about charles st., alpine, perrysville, wilson ave, adams st., federal st., north ave, california, and countless other streets and alleys that YOU claim are safe. It is you disagreeing with popular opinion/fact. In the past year I have witness 5 or so shootings. But hey, whats a shooting hear and there as long as it's not me right!?

Just because YOU feel safe doesn't mean everyone else will feel the same way. Btw, the northside has more homicides than any other side of the city. YAY murder!

I really appreciate all you wrote above as it is helpful for me to learn the city at a distance. I'm sorry to be so ignorant of your home, but can you please tell me what constitutes the "northside"? What is it bordered by?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Yac
 
4,242 posts, read 3,511,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Let's keep it civil please. Come on now.
I agree.
Please.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2007, 05:34 PM
 
93 posts, read 192,375 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
I live in manchester and have lived on the northside my entire life. I have seen a lot of stuff that most people wish not to see. I also lived on the southside and westside so I have something to compare it to.

Please do yourself a favor and search this forum about the mexican war streets. The majority of people say bad things about this place, except for the historic houses. When you say that the northside is not one of those places to avoid you are OBVIOUSLY speaking for YOURSELF.

No one on this forum agrees with you even though it may be YOUR truth.
Maybe you should move from the northside so you can see that homeless people sleeping on the street is not normal or "cool".

As for the shootings, I feel bad for you if these things do not bother YOU. MOST people do not want to be around people getting shot even if it has nothing to do with them. Ignorance at it finest, because everyone knows that bullets have names. SMH.

So Mr. know it all, tell me about brighton place, tell me about kirkbride, tell me about sheffield, tell me about charles st., alpine, perrysville, wilson ave, adams st., federal st., north ave, california, and countless other streets and alleys that YOU claim are safe. It is you disagreeing with popular opinion/fact. In the past year I have witness 5 or so shootings. But hey, whats a shooting hear and there as long as it's not me right!?

Just because YOU feel safe doesn't mean everyone else will feel the same way. Btw, the northside has more homicides than any other side of the city. YAY murder!
The thing is, PPG, that I was very clearly describing MY comfort level based upon my experience. I never claimed to represent all folks. Look at my response to Gallacus for confirmation of that fact. Yeah... I realize that living in Manchester could be a dicey proposition. But it's certainly on the upswing. Again, I was mostly confining my opinions to the Mexican War Streets because that was the subject of this thread. I've never been witness to a crime there, despite the fact that I have spent significant time in the neighborhood.

I don't think you should be in the business of deciding what the board consensus is on the area, or anything else. Let other people talk for themselves. I don't know what you are involved in that you personally witnessed "5 or so" shootings in the past year. I wonder how many others in Manchester could say the same thing. Or in the Mexican War Streets. How many of these shootings did you witness in the Mexican War Streets? As you are no doubt aware, the North Side is a big place with many niches and subsections. I've been on the streets I've had reason to be on.

By the way, could you share your sources for the homicides in Pittsburgh broken down by neighborhoods? I'd be very interested in seeing them.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top