Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 11,667 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to the SW side of Pittsburgh. We have 3 kids (elementary and middle school age). I believe I have narrowed our home search to Mt. Lebanon, Upper Saint Clair, or Peters Township. I have read the other forums on here, but they are from around 2008-2009 and pretty negative threads in general, so I was wondering if I could get some updated opinions. We come from a community that has EXCELLENT schools, a community/neighborhood feel where it is easy to get to know each other, less house for the money, high taxes, and somewhat walkable all within short driving distance of great shopping. Off the top, from what I can tell, Mt. Lebanon fits the bill most closely, with Upper Saint Clair looking amazing as well. However, there is little in Mt. Lebanon to choose from in the housing market for 4 bdroms, 2.5 bath in our $350- $400,000 price range. However, we'd really like to go below $350,000 this time. I'm not as concerned as I used to be about the walkability. It seems we end up driving in all different directions nowadays, but I like things close. My favorite part is the community and feeling like we all know lots of other people in our town. I am assuming USC and Mt. Lebanon are both like this, but I am asking can anyone tell me if Peters has a community feel? The schools seem to be about the same size as USC and I'd love to have more house this time around (and lower taxes), but I don't want to sacrifice the sense of community or access to shopping. Is Peters rural? How long is the drive to the "good" shopping (better groceries, good retail, restaurants)? Are there any other areas of town I'm just not aware of to consider on the SW side? We are coming soon to check it all out on a limited time frame. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 12:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,730,313 times
USC doesn't have a community feel more than Peters. Mt. Lebanon does because it's a walkable community. The only way you're going to know the people in your community in USC and Peters is if you become involved in the community via volunteering on your children's sports teams and activities, chairing the fundraisers, and that sort of thing. USC and Peters are suburban sprawl. I don't mind suburban sprawl. My township is suburban sprawl too. But I'm very connected to my community because I was a very actively involved parent.

My BIL lived in USC and moved to Peters. His drive to the major shopping area with the mall isn't any longer. It depends on where you buy in either township. If you're trying to keep down costs and can't find something in Mt. Lebo within your price range, you should seriously consider Peters because the taxes will be substantially lower than USC---meaning you won't save much money in USC as your Mt. Lebo alternative. You'll have just as much access to shopping because Peter's is conveniently located near the highway that has the shopping. Even though Mt. Lebo is closer to the shopping, your time travel to the mall could be the same because Mt. Lebo has heavy traffic congestion.

All three are a toss up regarding drive-to shopping. Mt. Lebo has the community feel. USC and Peters requires you be actively involved to connect with the community more. Peters gives you more for your money and lower taxes.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:41 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,955,937 times
I can't speak to Peters. But as I've lived in Lebo & USC, I'd think in your situation you'd do fine in USC. I'm mildly surprised you're not finding housing in Lebo in the $350-$400K range though. You'll get a nice 4BR/2.5B in a good neighborhood in USC for well within that price range. Look for an established neighborhood, not a new development. Even though there's no business district or walkability to speak of, you'll find that many of the established neighborhoods have annual block parties or other informal get-togethers. We typically get invited to graduation parties or other events as well.

Houses will more than likely been built in the 1970s. Since you have kids, you'll have few issues meeting neighbors or making friends as USC is almost completely family focused.

There's also the Taj Mahal Rec Center. I railed for several years about the tax increases for building that thing, but I finally caved this year and got a membership to work off some fat, lol. It's pretty nice and your kids will likely spend significant time there.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:54 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,628,596 times
Some of Peters is kind of rural. A friend of mine lives there and has acreage. It's still suburban, but has a somewhat rural feel because many of the homes have so much land. You go down a gravel driveway for about a quarter mile to reach her house. However, drive a couple miles and you're at big malls.

Mt Lebanon is probably closer to what you're looking for. Peters does have lower taxes. Hopes summed it up quite well in her post. Just wanted to add my take on the feel of Peters.

Have you considered Crafton? Big old houses at a very reasonable price (2500+ sf, $125,000-$250,000), but high-ish property taxes. The school district is good, but quite small. I moved here a little over a year ago and love it. My kids are grown and I wish we had lived here when they were younger. Lots of families. All the school age kids that I know on my block go to the public schools. The parents are all well educated professionals. Crafton was an old streetcar suburb so it doesn't have a downtown center. Because it is so old most of houses are within walking distance of small shopping centers and what little retail there is here. And there's Antney's Ice Cream. A major plus for living here.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,730,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Some of Peters is kind of rural. A friend of mine lives there and has acreage. It's still suburban, but has a somewhat rural feel because many of the homes have so much land. You go down a gravel driveway for about a quarter mile to reach her house. However, drive a couple miles and you're at big malls.
There are many housing developments with houses spaced apart in a normal manner in Peters too.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 PM

10,299 posts, read 10,544,396 times
I've lived in Mt. Lebanon and currently have relatives in Mt. Lebo, USC and Peters Twp. I agree it is difficult to find a 4BR/2.5B house in Mt. Lebo. Many of the houses are 3 BR/1.5 baths/1 car garage.

Regarding the school districts, they are all three excellent. Regarding the school sizes, here is the enrollment for all three:

Mt. Lebo: 5244
Peters: 4299
USC: 4133
S. Fayette 2793

I don't think we would have gotten to know most of our neighbors in Mt. Lebo if it wasn't for out kids, and we lived in one of the most walkable neighborhoods. Our neighborhood did have an annual block party. Our relatives have gotten to know most of the people they know through their kids sports teams.

One consideration that hasn't been mentioned is commute time. If you're commuting to downtwown, Oakland, etc., the commute time increase drastically from one side of Mt. Lebo to the other, and increases on out through USC and Peters. I worked in Oakland with a guy from Peters, and he would leave home between 6:00 and 6:15AM to beat the traffic.

The other school district you might consider is South Fayette. It is a smaller district with newer housing developments than the other three areas.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:17 PM

3,590 posts, read 3,361,235 times
I live in usc, but if you want walkable mt lebo is the town for you. As far as taxes go in peters, just wait until they decide to build a new high school. The school has been renovated, but it is too small.

The community feel can be had in all three areas, but you will have to put some work in. Usc has one of the nicest rec centers around, and more parks then your kids could ever want.

I am a middle class dolt who works hard for a living, i never had a good education, or do i know how to teach my son, but i feel he is getting the best schooling around, his teachers are proactive. My son had trouble in science class this year, the teacher gave up her break 3 days a week for an entire semester to help my son.

All three are great areas, but all three have a unique feel about them. I would not change where i live.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 PM

3,590 posts, read 3,361,235 times
As far as the commute the t is a nice option. When i was in the union, i took it into town for work. It took around the same amount of time, but it saved gas and parking.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,667 times
These posts are very helpful! Thank you all for taking the time to answer. My husband will be working near Eighty Four, PA, so the commute to downtown Pittsburgh is not an issue for us. I appreciate all the input!

Old 07-15-2014, 01:53 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,893,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topittsburghwego View Post
My husband and I are looking to move to the SW side of Pittsburgh. We have 3 kids (elementary and middle school age). I believe I have narrowed our home search to Mt. Lebanon, Upper Saint Clair, or Peters Township. I have read the other forums on here, but they are from around 2008-2009 and pretty negative threads in general, so I was wondering if I could get some updated opinions. We come from a community that has EXCELLENT schools, a community/neighborhood feel where it is easy to get to know each other, less house for the money, high taxes, and somewhat walkable all within short driving distance of great shopping. Off the top, from what I can tell, Mt. Lebanon fits the bill most closely, with Upper Saint Clair looking amazing as well. However, there is little in Mt. Lebanon to choose from in the housing market for 4 bdroms, 2.5 bath in our $350- $400,000 price range. However, we'd really like to go below $350,000 this time. I'm not as concerned as I used to be about the walkability. It seems we end up driving in all different directions nowadays, but I like things close. My favorite part is the community and feeling like we all know lots of other people in our town. I am assuming USC and Mt. Lebanon are both like this, but I am asking can anyone tell me if Peters has a community feel? The schools seem to be about the same size as USC and I'd love to have more house this time around (and lower taxes), but I don't want to sacrifice the sense of community or access to shopping. Is Peters rural? How long is the drive to the "good" shopping (better groceries, good retail, restaurants)? Are there any other areas of town I'm just not aware of to consider on the SW side? We are coming soon to check it all out on a limited time frame. Thanks for your help!
I'm gonna separate each of your criteria and rate the areas best to worst(?). Honestly you can't do wrong with any of these (they are all at the top of the region and state).

Town Community Feel ( Mt. Lebanon, USC, Peters )
More House for Money ( Peters, USC, Mt. Lebanon )
Walkable ( Mt. Lebanon, .. .., USC/Peters Tie )
Taxes (Peters, .. .. , USC, Mt. Lebanon )

BTW 80% of Peters is developed now. Its population density is well over 1,000 ppsm now, and to find a rural feel you'll have to drive far from 19 or McMurray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh