Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I never said "rural people". Not sure where you get that from. No, I was making a statement that people in this entire Pittsburgh region (city and rural) seem to be ok with littering. I am sorry the country music fans are upset but the pictures -- that was piggish. I totally agree with youngabe.
Interesting that it was all cleaned up in a day. Ever see the underneath of seats at most every event at PNC, Heinz, Consol? How about a movie theater? They cheaped out at the Chesney concert and the Bryan concert happened to be the next in line.

The media loves to blow things out of proportion because they know people will buy into it. A new flavor of the week is always around the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 04:58 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
Ohio River Blvd is the worst I've seen, trash-wise.

They use local prisoners to clean the trash on the roads in Tampa. Bet they do it in Miami too.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:11 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Ohio River Blvd is the worst I've seen, trash-wise.

They use local prisoners to clean the trash on the roads in Tampa. Bet they do it in Miami too.
Yep, should be adopted everywhere.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:11 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,162,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
No, I was making a statement that people in this entire Pittsburgh region (city and rural) seem to be ok with littering.

It's true, we all love it. I am littering as I type this.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
We should be allowed to shoot at people tossing cigarette butts with paintball guns. Imagine the look on their face, it would be hilarious.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
The unsightliness of trash is extremely low on my list of personal priorities. Still, I have organized numerous trash sweeps of my neighborhood and try to maintain my own house and block to the best of my ability -- if trash along Allegheny Ave is an issue of great importance to you, they sell garbage bags at the Giant Eagle on Cedar. I'm not being totally facetious -- this is one area in which I will advocate for some good ol' "personal responsibility." If not you, who?

Also, anyone who thinks this problem is somehow unique to Pittsburgh has not been to South Philly, where water is stopped from flowing down drains on the street because they are completely full of garbage.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:21 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
We should be allowed to shoot at people tossing cigarette butts with paintball guns. Imagine the look on their face, it would be hilarious.
I've always wanted to tag cars where the driver is talking/texting with a paint gun.

But in your suggestion, it really doesn't work as you'd be leaving spent paint cartridges on the ground... more litter.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:03 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
In addition to just the general pigs who intentionally litter, a lot of people seem to not know how to properly secure their garbage. This has become a problem in my mother's neighborhood. When I was growing up I don't remember any garbage blowing downhill on windy days and ending up in her yard. Now every time I go over there, I'm picking things up. Most of it recyclables. A lot people leave their recycling bins outside and just throw things haphazardly in the bin. Stuff falls out, wind picks up, it gets blown around and lands in the lowest lying areas.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:20 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Also, anyone who thinks this problem is somehow unique to Pittsburgh has not been to South Philly, where water is stopped from flowing down drains on the street because they are completely full of garbage.
This exact scenario happened last year on 51/McKinley Park when the storm drains were clogged with trash during flash flooding. They had to use a bulldozer (yes, that's how bad it was) to get all of the trash out of the drain.

This year it is full of trash once more.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:53 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
Several times when seeing someone drop a cigarette butt or other piece of trash I've been tempted to run over, pick it up, and hand it back to them saying "excuse me, you dropped this." But I've been too afraid of someone flipping out and getting violent. Still, maybe someday...
Litter is my biggest pet peeve.

I did this once. I was riding my bike and a woman threw her soda cup into the street. I picked it up, threw it into her window onto her lap and said, "You dropped something."

She flipped her lid. I rode away.

Another time I was on Butler St and a woman at a red light passed her trash to her daughter and her daughter dumped it on the street. I told them that they were pigs and that our city isn't their trash can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh