Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,913,770 times

Advertisements

Im into high end frames and finding the right frame from a place that accepts my insurance is a challenge. Gateway Eye Associates has two locations in downtown Pittsburgh. The Oxford Center location has the best selection. I have wide bridge as well and most frames do not fit properly. My latest frames are from the Oakley Junkyard collection and fit my nose perfectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 06:03 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,072,910 times
I get my glasses at Oakland Fashion Optical. They don't have a wide selection, but it is to my taste, plus they have Pro-Design frames. Though, the last time I was there I saw some from Penguin that maybe I'll get next year

Old 07-24-2014, 06:25 AM

461 posts, read 744,822 times
Three Guys Optical in Downtown has a great selection of frames; I wasn't at all happy with the service and took over two months to get my glasses, but they can't be that awful for all of their customers or they wouldn't still be be in business.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:00 AM

912 posts, read 1,722,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
Three Guys Optical in Downtown has a great selection of frames; I wasn't at all happy with the service and took over two months to get my glasses, but they can't be that awful for all of their customers or they wouldn't still be be in business.
+1 on bad customer service from Three Guys Optical. I went to the Oakland location to look at frames. I found a pair I liked and had them calculate the total cost with my insurance. They were more expensive than other places I had looked, so I told them I wasn't going to buy them and to drop the authorization on my insurance.

Two weeks later I went to Target Optical and decided to purchase my glasses there. When they went to enter my insurance information, the hold from Three Guys was still there. I had to call Three Guys and tell them to drop the hold immediately because I was about to purchase glasses from another store. The guy on the phone was completely rude throughout the entire process. He literally said "Whatever you're paying for them, I can get them for you cheaper." Really?!? Three Guys told me the total cost would be around $260. I got the exact same frames with the same lenses at Target for $90.

I picked up my glasses at Target four days later, and they're great.

I looked at three or four other places before I went to Three Guys. All of them dropped the insurance authorization as soon as I told them I wouldn't be purchasing right then.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:22 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,683,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Last time I checked, Warby Parker didn't do progressives. You could buy their frames and take them elsewhere to get your prescription filled.

Costco has good prices, but a somewhat limited selection. If you're a member there's one in Robinson. It's never crowded.
If you look at their website on a PC they list progressives as an option for $295 on most frames, and $345 on premium frames. For whatever reason, progressives are not an option on the mobile version of their site, even if you switch to desktop view.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,620,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
If you look at their website on a PC they list progressives as an option for $295 on most frames, and $345 on premium frames. For whatever reason, progressives are not an option on the mobile version of their site, even if you switch to desktop view.
That's new. The last time I checked, they didn't offer progressives. I stopped checking because, even though the cost of their frames is low, having to take my prescription elsewhere ate up any savings - I didn't have vision coverage the last time I was buying glasses. Thanks for pointing this out. I'm in the market for new glasses and I'll definitely look into it, and I have good coverage now.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
That's new. The last time I checked, they didn't offer progressives. I stopped checking because, even though the cost of their frames is low, having to take my prescription elsewhere ate up any savings - I didn't have vision coverage the last time I was buying glasses. Thanks for pointing this out. I'm in the market for new glasses and I'll definitely look into it, and I have good coverage now.
Yeah, the last time I looked, they didn't offer progressives, either. Been a while.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:44 PM

698 posts, read 1,008,681 times
Wow, thanks so much everyone. This really helps.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Wow, thanks so much everyone. This really helps.
Let us know where you end up going, and how it was!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh