Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:29 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,072,814 times

Advertisements

I think the purpose of CM events is to force people to notice cyclists as vehicles/presence on the road, or at least that I think it started out as. I remember way back in the nineties they'd meet at Dippy and it was a fairly small group, lots without helmets. It's a shame they can't organize and come up with some ground rules, because the a-holes make the group as a whole look irresponsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
As I have already stated, there are now two CM rides. One that is law abiding and one that is the old style one that is out to cause problems and take over. It just started back up this month and looks like it is here to stay. The circus has been reborn.
Since the anarchists are back, there's no reason to rant about a smaller law abiding group of cyclists if the anarchists are larger and more prominent. If you want it to be different, cyclists need a local cycling leader to promote harmony with vehicles and pedestrians. Your message needs to be the loudest and most influential to cyclists, otherwise, this anarchy crap will only grow and create dangerous animosity. You can't blame anyone for lumping all cyclists together if it happens.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:28 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,826,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
From the CM ride on the 27th.

This is just one example of bikes feeling like they own the road. There's no reason why these 2 can't ride single file so that a car can pass when there's nobody coming the other way, but instead they ride 2 abreast, blocking all traffic behind them as they trudge along.

Source: Critical Mass Pgh facebook page

09090007 - YouTube
The guy in green is cruising for a serious cockpunch.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Ugh. I hate it when cyclists ride two abreast. I'm EXTREMELY courteous towards cyclists, always ensuring I'm yielding well over the required four-foot safety buffer when passing. Technically when a cyclist is hugging the double-yellow lines, though, even if I were ENTIRELY in the opposing lane to pass I'd still be within four feet of that cyclist. One day I tried passing two cyclists riding two abreast on outbound Ellsworth Avenue only to nearly strike another car as it was making a right-turn-on-red onto Ellsworth from Amberson into my opposing lane from behind a parked car.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gSQg1i_q2g

Is it just me, or has there been an awful lot of this occurring in our lovely city, lately? Is everyone off their meds or something? So much anger!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:36 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,184,165 times
Quote:

One day I tried passing two cyclists riding two
abreast on outbound Ellsworth Avenue only to nearly strike another car as it was
making a right-turn-on-red onto Ellsworth from Amberson into my opposing lane
from behind a parked car.

Lucky you missed him. You'd have been at fault.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Lucky you missed him. You'd have been at fault.
So you're supposed to just keep following slow-moving two-abreast cyclists in perpetuity because Pittsburgh's streets aren't designed so that you have proper sight-lines to pass cyclists in the opposing lane?

Old 08-01-2014, 12:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Since the anarchists are back, there's no reason to rant about a smaller law abiding group of cyclists if the anarchists are larger and more prominent. If you want it to be different, cyclists need a local cycling leader to promote harmony with vehicles and pedestrians. Your message needs to be the loudest and most influential to cyclists, otherwise, this anarchy crap will only grow and create dangerous animosity. You can't blame anyone for lumping all cyclists together if it happens.
As usual you don't understand the cycling world. Do you think MOST cyclists go to these rides? No, not even close. The CM rides are tiny, so when you say, anarchists are more prominent, meaning what? 12 riders instead of 8? Please, don't try and catch up on a thread. You have way too much to learn than some little thread on this forum when it comes to cycling. I have never been on a CM ride and never will go. Just not my thing. I don't ride with groups anymore, but when I did, we would be law abiding. Some of those rides where huge. Over 50 riders, sometimes over 100. Makes a CM ride like like a couple cyclists that happen to be together.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,231,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So you're supposed to just keep following slow-moving two-abreast cyclists in perpetuity because Pittsburgh's streets aren't designed so that you have proper sight-lines to pass cyclists in the opposing lane?
Well, actually, you are. The cyclists are not breaking the law, and if it's not safe to pass, then you shouldn't. It's hard to complain about the dodgy driving of others when you confess to such things yourself on here. Do you have a mirror?

All that said, I actually agree with you about cyclists riding two abreast, especially on narrow roads. It may be legal, but it is inconsiderate and I never do it when riding with people. I find cars are very considerate to me on a bike, and hope its good karma because I go out of my way to not impede driver's progress whenever possible. I drive too, remember.

I rode out to Mckeesport on the GAP last night and riding past the Waterfront (i stay on the road as the GAP is 'soft' on that stage and road is wide and not busy) two guys on bikes going at roughly same speed as me stayed in the left lane all the way. WTF?? Cars were going past them on the right, and then past me on my left. I have no idea why these 2 dumbasses were doing that? I also nearly had a headon with some cyclists on the bike path on the way home. A blind corner, I'm tight on the right, and a pair of two abreast cyclists taking up the whole path come around the corner!!! No doubt having a lovely conversation. Rapid evasive manoeuvrings and braking required, just missing bushes. Geez .... it's a jungle out there

Old 08-01-2014, 06:32 AM

12,528 posts, read 17,443,200 times
Seems like Biking knowledge and manners is limited these days. I rarely hear "on your left" anymore. And the two abreast drives me nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh