Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Well, actually, you are. The cyclists are not breaking the law, and if it's not safe to pass, then you shouldn't. It's hard to complain about the dodgy driving of others when you confess to such things yourself on here.
I believe riding two abreast would be breaking the law. I think cyclists are to ride as far right as safety permits and they could be given a ticket for impeding traffic. On the flip side of all this, if you have two cyclists riding at 25mph in a 25mph zone, they should be able to stay out in the lane, because they are going the limit. There are times I am going the speed limit and people are still wanting to pass in unsafe areas. Of course they have the weapon of mass destruction, so they are going to win that battle, so I try and let them pass. Of course I pass them back at the next traffic light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I believe riding two abreast would be breaking the law. I think cyclists are to ride as far right as safety permits and they could be given a ticket for impeding traffic. On the flip side of all this, if you have two cyclists riding at 25mph in a 25mph zone, they should be able to stay out in the lane, because they are going the limit. There are times I am going the speed limit and people are still wanting to pass in unsafe areas. Of course they have the weapon of mass destruction, so they are going to win that battle, so I try and let them pass. Of course I pass them back at the next traffic light.
The (warning, .pdf) "PA Bicycle Drivers Manual" states:
"(e) Limitation on riding abreast.—Persons riding pedalcycles upon a roadway shall
not ride more than two abreast, except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the
exclusive use of pedalcycles."

which is worded strangely.
Just above, section (c) is concerned with riding slower than prevailing speeds.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times
It's the same in Philly, and protestors always seem to choose the evening rush hour to let their feelings be known.........regardless of the issue.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Not a protest, but tonight is this race downtown today, Friday, August 1, starting at 7:00. There doesn't seem to be a map of the course, though last year, looks like they went up Liberty from 6th to 11th and down Penn. back to 6th.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Rush hour is over by 7pm.

I'm surprised the law allows bikes to ride two abreast. The roads are not wide enough for a vehicle to safely pass bikes that far into the roadway. Vehicles should not be required to stay behind two abreast bikes when it's safe to pass a single bike. They can't maintain the speed limit for any significant amount of time with the hills around here.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:32 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm surprised the law allows bikes to ride two abreast. The roads are not wide enough for a vehicle to safely pass bikes that far into the roadway. Vehicles should not be required to stay behind two abreast bikes when it's safe to pass a single bike. They can't maintain the speed limit for any significant amount of time with the hills around here.
Cycling two abreast has been legal everywhere I lived. Here's a well argued justification of it for safety reasons - Cycling Two Abreast. But just 'coz it's well argued doesn't mean I agree with it ...

Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Cyclist who insist on clogging up main roads just to prove some point that they can do it & it's their right are in the exact same realm as the idiots who carry an assault rifle with them to McDonald's to 'prove' their right as well. Note I support both cycling & bearing arms but those people do neither a service

Old 08-01-2014, 09:43 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Cyclist who insist on clogging up main roads just to prove some point that they can do it & it's their right are in the exact same realm as the idiots who carry an assault rifle with them to McDonald's to 'prove' their right as well. Note I support both cycling & bearing arms but those people do neither a service
Dead right!!! You have however put an idea in my head. Wonder if its legal to ride a bike with a visible gun, assuming you have open carry permits of course? I'm off to Walmart ......

Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Dead right!!! You have however put an idea in my head. Wonder if its legal to ride a bike with a visible gun, assuming you have open carry permits of course? I'm off to Walmart ......
You don't even have to worry about a permit as PA is an open carry state

Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 AM

252 posts, read 348,237 times
Bicycle gun racks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh