Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 02:58 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
who gives a rats @ss about parking. You don't think those rabid Pens fans will find a way to the games despite a decrease in parking? There is a big opportunity here, a swath of development ADJACENT to the downtown core is ripe for the picking for developers to create a truly urban environment to enhance the core of Pittsburgh and it's continuity of downtown--> neighborhoods. Screw catering to suburbanites who need 6,000 parking spaces for every building they desire to go to in the city, paving valuable downtown land for surface parking and building monstrous parking structures . The catering of suburbia didn't pan out so well in the late 20th century for the infrastructure of our cities..why continue this trend. Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Yankee stadium, etc...don't feel the need to build giant parking garages all around their stadiums. People use what lots are currently available (undeveloped at the time), park on the street, and take the bus or train to games. Development in the urban environment around the stadiums is not hindered because they may lose a surface lot or a garage.
While I agree with this, unfortunately the penguins who have control of the development don't as they depend on the deep pockets of those suburbanites to fill their seats & buy their concessions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 03:06 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
While I agree with this, unfortunately the penguins who have control of the development don't as they depend on the deep pockets of those suburbanites to fill their seats & buy their concessions.
shame that such a prime piece of land is under the grip of a sports team, then. they already have their new arena..why in hell do they need the land from their former one too?

Old 09-10-2014, 03:14 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Pretty sure the city is responsible to get this ball rolling, but instead aren't able to. Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this isn't a Pens issue.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:28 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Pretty sure the city is responsible to get this ball rolling, but instead aren't able to. Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this isn't a Pens issue.
Initially yes, but that would require local politicians to grow a pair & tell all of the special interest groups (see Hill reps & civic orgs. in this case) to put a sock in it & that they are owed nothing; until then this will drag on until the right pockets are greased

Old 09-10-2014, 03:40 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
That sounds right.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:02 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Initially yes, but that would require local politicians to grow a pair & tell all of the special interest groups (see Hill reps & civic orgs. in this case) to put a sock in it & that they are owed nothing; until then this will drag on until the right pockets are greased
Carl Redwood had the audacity to send me private messages on Facebook in order to bicker with me about how right he was and how wrong I was for not seeing his point of view about how much more everyone---the city, the Penguins, God---"owes" and "still owes" the Hill District. Needless to say I have a very negative impression of him now.

Nobody is "owed" anything in life. I'd love to live in Shadyside. I can't afford it. Do I cry? No. I live in Polish Hill. Once this neighborhood continues to soar in rents will I cry? No. I'll move to Troy Hill, and so on and so forth until I run out of neighborhoods I can afford, at which point I'll either try to improve my earnings capabilities OR relocate to a cheaper metropolitan area in the Midwest. It's hysterical that people who work part-time at the Shop 'n Save while they support three children from three different fathers think they are "owed" nice cheap 2-BR apartments adjacent to Downtown on one of the city's most valuable parcels.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:47 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I can't take advocating for MORE parking right next to downtown seriously. Lots of places enjoy tailgating. It's not some "Pittsburgh thing"...are you seriously implying that it justifies the creation or maintainence of surface parking lots surrounding Consol and hindering urban development?

The NIMBY mentality of "it's too dense for this area!...but what about the parking?!...it will make things too congested! what about the children?!" needs to stay in the suburbs.
Right now, there seems to be a real shortage of parking in town, and add'l parking in the arena area would really help the area.

This isn't New York City where people - even a lot of folks with money- don't have cars.

Theoretically, people "should" take the bus, but many people who work in town just don't have that option. The Port Authority system is pretty weak in many of Pittsburgh suburbs- where most of the workers live.

Maybe a large expansion of the public transport system might be called for?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:01 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Maybe a large expansion of the public transport system might be called for?
The problem is most of the transit lines which were cut were always destined to be money losers, as they had low and irregular ridership. Restoring them would only mean the Port Authority would become more dependent upon outside funds for operation. I mean, I'm not opposed to putting in more tax money towards public transit, but there has to be a better way.

No, wait, there is a better way. It's called building more housing in areas already well served by transit. I'm presuming that anyone who wants to live in the Lower Hill (certainly all the market rate apartments, and probably most of the moderate income apartments) will work Downtown and walk to work, or perhaps use the bus. This directly reduces Downtown congestion. As do TOD projects like the one in East Liberty, and the planned projects along the T lines in Dormont and Castle Shannon. In the longer run, this results in a win-win scenario. With more units along transit lines, more people who commute to Downtown locate there. This in turn reduces overall congestion downtown, and increases transit ridership and profitability. Instead of trying to string transit lines in sparsely populated neighborhoods, you try and bring dense concentrations of people to where the transit lines already are basically.

Last edited by eschaton; 09-10-2014 at 08:55 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Carl Redwood had the audacity to send me private messages on Facebook in order to bicker with me about how right he was and how wrong I was for not seeing his point of view about how much more everyone---the city, the Penguins, God---"owes" and "still owes" the Hill District. Needless to say I have a very negative impression of him now.

Nobody is "owed" anything in life. I'd love to live in Shadyside. I can't afford it. Do I cry? No. I live in Polish Hill. Once this neighborhood continues to soar in rents will I cry? No. I'll move to Troy Hill, and so on and so forth until I run out of neighborhoods I can afford, at which point I'll either try to improve my earnings capabilities OR relocate to a cheaper metropolitan area in the Midwest. It's hysterical that people who work part-time at the Shop 'n Save while they support three children from three different fathers think they are "owed" nice cheap 2-BR apartments adjacent to Downtown on one of the city's most valuable parcels.
I agree. It gets really annoying hearing the people up there do nothing but complain. This is prime land right next to Downtown. Sorry, but there are other places the low income housing you want can go.

Also with the parking, I saw a rendering and it looked like they were going to put in two decent sized parking garages into the development. I hate the surface lots like others, but there is demand for garages to be part of this development.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:16 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I refuse to let this one go. Your toxic, sexist and borderline racist rants are totally uncalled for. The Penguins agreed to the Community Benefits Package and the community is ensuring they they follow through with their promise. It is not the part time worker with multiple baby fathers ensuring that the commitment is upheld. It is the middle and upper middle class community supporters who through organizations and non profits act as the voice for the underserved. Most poor people live day to day with little time to invest in community action organizations. The most likely candidate for the new housing would be either a full time semi professional / student woman or a young family. Your stereotypical Shop N Save worker probably wouldn't pass the credit check required for consideration.

On a lighter note. Someday you may want to start a family and raise kids. How many babies fathers would you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh