Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:15 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,080,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Columbus provides blueprint for how to develop Mellon Arena site | TribLIVE

Trib article saying that Columbus' arena district should be a good blueprint for the rebuilding of the civic arena site. Looks like a bad idea to me - why strive to create another stupid arena district that will be bland and cookie-cutter? The lower Hill should be a natural extension of downtown, not a goofy, generic theme area. And of all the districts to choose from, they at least could have used DC's Penn Quarter as a better example of a blueprint; seems much better than that district in Columbus to me.
Sports teams like to develop areas with lots of nice clean franchise restaurants, where people know what the food will taste like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 12:43 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,814,483 times
Maybe the Pens can land a Ruby Tuesday's to complement the Consol Center TGI Friday's.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:49 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,080,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Maybe the Pens can land a Ruby Tuesday's to complement the Consol Center TGI Friday's.
Maybe another Tilted Kilt?

Old 10-06-2014, 12:53 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,074,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Maybe another Tilted Kilt?
Another Tilted Kilt sounds great.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,220,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Sports teams like to develop areas with lots of nice clean franchise restaurants, where people know what the food will taste like.
People knowing what the food tastes like is important, if they are from out of town and want to know what they are buying.

But its more than that. Building a new restaurant takes a lot of money, and is a risky business when starting out in a new location.

Established firms with a lot of money and experience are a lot more likely to be successful- diminishing the need to find replacement restaurants for those which go belly up.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:39 PM

14,362 posts, read 16,918,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
People knowing what the food tastes like is important, if they are from out of town and want to know what they are buying.

But its more than that. Building a new restaurant takes a lot of money, and is a risky business when starting out in a new location.

Established firms with a lot of money and experience are a lot more likely to be successful- diminishing the need to find replacement restaurants for those which go belly up.
My understanding is it's more that new construction demands higher rents. Chains tend to dominate new construction because they have built in economies of scale which allow them to be more efficient in terms of supplies and labor costs than non-chains.

In some cases though the chains may play dirty. Back in 2006, it was alleged that Starbucks would pay rent above market rate, in exchange for the landlord agreeing to not allow any competitors to come into their properties. I dunno if this held up in a court of law however.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,220,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My understanding is it's more that new construction demands higher rents. Chains tend to dominate new construction because they have built in economies of scale which allow them to be more efficient in terms of supplies and labor costs than non-chains.

In some cases though the chains may play dirty. Back in 2006, it was alleged that Starbucks would pay rent above market rate, in exchange for the landlord agreeing to not allow any competitors to come into their properties. I dunno if this held up in a court of law however.

I don't think that's necessary illegal on the part of Starbucks, even if that's what they did. Does the lease of Giant Eagle over at the Waterworks preclude other grocery chains from signing a lease, and did it prevent Wal-Mart from building the Super Center concept over there? I heard that the Shop n Save's Heidelberg lease prevented WMT from doing a super center there.

Further, these developers have projects all over the place. A local store might be able to take a lease in the Pittsburgh location, but the developer may need to fill spaces in similar projects in Tulsa, Provo and Tampa as well. Starbucks can provide a lot more business for the landlord.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:49 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,500,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Columbus provides blueprint for how to develop Mellon Arena site | TribLIVE

Trib article saying that Columbus' arena district should be a good blueprint for the rebuilding of the civic arena site.
no. please no.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:54 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,022,890 times
I hate the whole situation. I don't want to reiterate what has been said here already, but it sucks that the Penguins get money from the parking (um, why not use that albeit small amount and give it to Pittsburgh, since the City residents actually paid for the arena in the first place - maybe use it for streetscape improvements in the Hill?), etc. If it weren't for subsidies, the Pens might not even exist. (Maybe the same can be said for 1/2 or more of NHL franchises).

The Islanders are moving to Brooklyn - because Nassau County wouldn't pay for an almost $1B (dont quote me) arena complex the owners wanted. Really, Wang? As if people are to believe you were willing to foot the entire bill? (They are being sold, and at least will remain in the NYC, and in the US, obviously).

I can't believe there isn't a master plan here. This development should consider rail extensions, and accomodate for it (by saving a right-of-way, or however else). It's a debacle - they are suburbanites designing some crackpot thing for a faux market square type thing - it looks sh i t t y on a rendering, i wonder how it will look if it comes to fruition.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:36 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,900,672 times
It's like Pittsburgh just discovered Columbus!! Please tell me that a city such as Pittsburgh, that has umpteen times more charm and character than Columbus, can figure this out on it's own, or at least look to a better model.

Columbus public market called guide for fledgling Pittsburgh one | TribLIVE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh