Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:12 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times

Advertisements

I wish the best for you also, but it must be hard to negotiate a termination unless you had an emploment contract. As i said earlier pa is a at will state they could let you go without any notice and for almost any reason.

Are any other coworkers getting a better offer, do you have any unused vacation and sick days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 04:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
The way I read it, the OP will be getting six-weeks pay as severance. Regardless, you have the right to file for unemployment like anyone else in your position; although, I don't think it will kick in until after the six weeks your severance covers. Hopefully, you'll find something quickly and not even need it.
It's not based on how many weeks he was paid. It's based on how much money he was paid based on a calculation that determines in the weeks from an unemployment standpoint.

Frequently Asked Questions

OP, it's important you file for unemployment right away. Don't wait 6 weeks to file. Unemployment only starts counting the weeks from the date you file. If you wait 6 week, you'll have to wait more weeks for your first unemployment check.

FYI for managing your household budget, even without severance, it can take 6 weeks before receiving the first check, but it will include all back payments owed. At least that was our experience with three separate claims over the past few years, and those claims were straight forward and weren't challenged by the employers.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:00 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
Unless you have a contract that stipulates otherwise, you are entitled to nothing. Getting any severance is probably better than average these days. You can certainly ask for more, but you have no legal rights here and I think your request would be met with predictable results.

Sorry, hope you find something new and perhaps even better soon.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:04 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
I am so sorry that this happened. But it happened in our company also. We were told over a year ago that we wee merging with another company ; in actual fact it was an aggressive take over. We were told that nothing would change ; well we have had to change all our systems to accommodate the other company. Two people had their jobs eliminated. One was a close friend that worked there in a pretty senior role for 15 years. She was told in May her position was eliminated in July, they would give her time to look for another job, but she had to go in everyday to work.. Well, she worked until July, asked them about severance and vacation a week before she left. She was told that they gave her severance ; the severance began in May. Then she asked about vacation and was told that she should have taken it already as she looses it when she leaves ; she had 2 weeks of vacation left but it was too late to take it all then.
We were told that we had to work core hours and everyone that worked outside of core, had to change to core hours.

Now the kicker ; in my dept, there is a guy who just recently got his hours changed as he wants to coach soccer. How did he get this ; they are trying to be the best place to work and decided that they should start now. However, they are still doing research and meeting with us about becoming the best place to work!! So how did he get his hours changed ; I am furious as it directly affects me. I have taken it up with my manager, her manager and the head of HR and got absolutely nowhere. This person also does almost half the work load that I do and I asked my manager to give him some more ; yesterday she said that I would have to help him as he will be overwhelmed when he comes back from vacation!! Really ; nobody helped me when I came back from vacation. The guy is nice, but so obviously a favorite.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doireann View Post
Now the kicker ; in my dept, there is a guy who just recently got his hours changed as he wants to coach soccer. How did he get this ; they are trying to be the best place to work and decided that they should start now. However, they are still doing research and meeting with us about becoming the best place to work!! So how did he get his hours changed ; I am furious as it directly affects me. I have taken it up with my manager, her manager and the head of HR and got absolutely nowhere. This person also does almost half the work load that I do and I asked my manager to give him some more ; yesterday she said that I would have to help him as he will be overwhelmed when he comes back from vacation!! Really ; nobody helped me when I came back from vacation. The guy is nice, but so obviously a favorite.
Being nice will get your farther at work than complaining about what other people are doing/not doing.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:17 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalesPro123 View Post
Are you kidding me??? I was a dedicated employee through the bankruptcy and auction. I worked my ass off to prove myself and more importantly provide for my family. I have never been in this position before and was just making sure I got what the law provides. I have a family to feed and unemployment is no where near what I made.

Don't make me out to be a welfare Mom. I have been working in medical sales for the last 16 years. This is the first time I have lost a job.

Sorry for your job loss. Looking on the brightside it does seem that you have a significant amount of experience which should make finding a new job easier. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:52 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
I was recently let go from a position I held for 3 years. 13 other reps were let go too even though we were told a month ago by the new owners that "there would be a place for everyone". We received 2 weeks severance per year. Should I try and get more? What is the PA law on this?
When I was laid off from a bank, I was given two weeks for every year served -- but severance isn't a law, it's a company policy. And a lot of companies have done away with severance pay...

I think you're lucky. Good luck on your job search.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me??? I was a dedicated employee through the bankruptcy and auction. I worked my ass off to prove myself and more importantly provide for my family. I have never been in this position before and was just making sure I got what the law provides. I have a family to feed and unemployment is no where near what I made.

Don't make me out to be a welfare Mom. I have been working in medical sales for the last 16 years. This is the first time I have lost a job.
I know this is scary -- been there.

First -- let go of the anger. Wallow in it a little if you must, but understand it's going to hamper you going forward.

Second, take a good look at your budget, and start cutting. Just on paper -- give yourself some options. Or maybe look at this as a way to clean house money wise. Put everything on the table for consideration to cut. This is you taking back control after it's been wrested from you by this layoff.

Third -- file for unemployment. File the day after you lose your job. If there's a hitch, you can get it solved quicker and not stop at least some money flowing in.

Fourth -- start networking for a new job. Write up a new resume, polish it well, get your interview clothes cleaned and ready -- all buttons sewn tightly, shoes cleaned.... look polished and ready. Find a way to practice interview skills, maybe take a few classes to get you up to speed on things your old company didn't do...

And get back on the horse. You know -- 16 years in a industry -- you're not dumb, and you know your stuff. You have a lot to offer someone else.

Losing a job in any way takes a hit on your psyche. I've been canned, and I've been laid off. Neither one is fun, and both can take a toll, but it's up to you to turn this into a win for you and your family.

And you will.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
^^Agreed. I once worked on a research project at a health dept, when the funding ran out, we all got laid off. Even though I didn't really like the job all that much, it was bitter for a bit. I mean, a nurse getting laid off? Who'd have thought? I agree with filing for unemployment right away, though you may have to wait to collect until your severance, any accrued vacation pay you get, etc, is used up.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Agreed. I once worked on a research project at a health dept, when the funding ran out, we all got laid off. Even though I didn't really like the job all that much, it was bitter for a bit. I mean, a nurse getting laid off? Who'd have thought? I agree with filing for unemployment right away, though you may have to wait to collect until your severance, any accrued vacation pay you get, etc, is used up.
Unemployment also knows their stuff. If you aren't meant to get it until after your severance (that wasn't true out here) you won't but they will know. Before we started our own company, hubs had been laid off. He was collecting and was called back as a contractor for a short term project. He filed every week as suspended till that job ended. and we collected for a few weeks till they called him back again. We stretched out 6 month's of benefits to a year while he searched for real work... and then got sensible and started his own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh