Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:56 PM

197 posts, read 449,779 times

Advertisements

Ty for sharing your experiences OP. I hate Penn State, but always love to hear about stories of college debauchery.

How were the girls there back then?

Old 08-17-2014, 11:52 PM

49 posts, read 79,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
Ty for sharing your experiences OP. I hate Penn State, but always love to hear about stories of college debauchery.

How were the girls there back then?
Not sure what college you went to (or if you went at all), but I can assure you I hate your university even more! PSU rules you, and you might as well stop denying it.

As far as the girls, it was a wide spectrum like anywhere else. I lived in South Halls so I was blessed to be in a male dorm surrounded by 3 or 4 sorority dorms. The dining halls seemed to be around 70-30 female-to-male ratio so I never complained about that. Many girls were too nerdy for my taste, but there were hotties to be seen on a Friday or Saturday night at the frat parties and downtown bars. To be brutally honest, I never had a girlfriend while at Old State since I always believed college was the best time to be single and available for random hookups, which I did partake in from time to time.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:41 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I am sure the undergrad work-study student who called was very interested.
You know you can just tell them not to call you again and they won't.
(I was a work-study student who had to make those calls years ago, but not at Penn State.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgher-Brad View Post
Stop being a crybaby. I got a lot of letters and calls asking for donations, but I did the smart thing and unlisted my phone number and then I enjoyed the silence.

I feel like donations sometimes end up going to the wrong projects or fattening the paychecks of some bureaucrat administrator. Do they really need to build multi-level parking garages all over that beautiful campus just so lazy, fat employees don't have to walk more than 50 ft. from the car to the office?

I get a little more nauseous every time I visit and see how how many trees they cut down to put up a building.
Jeez -- why the rancor? Anyhow -- we did donate once -- one of our favorite teachers from Beaver died, and they asked for donations to make a memorial garden in his honor. That opened the flood gates, and no -- telling them to stop calling DIDN'T work. Once you've given, no matter what, they think they have you on the line.... and as for changing numbers -- it is unlisted, but it's also our business number, so I will have to forgo that for a few more years.

Luckily, our customers either know our cell phone numbers or don't mind getting the answering machine. I stopped answering that phone ages ago after my mother died.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:41 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Jeez -- why the rancor? Anyhow -- we did donate once -- one of our favorite teachers from Beaver died, and they asked for donations to make a memorial garden in his honor. That opened the flood gates, and no -- telling them to stop calling DIDN'T work. Once you've given, no matter what, they think they have you on the line.... and as for changing numbers -- it is unlisted, but it's also our business number, so I will have to forgo that for a few more years.

Luckily, our customers either know our cell phone numbers or don't mind getting the answering machine. I stopped answering that phone ages ago after my mother died.
Sorry, Tallysmom, I did not mean to sound so aggressive. I think it brought back memories of doing that job and having people act as if I was lower than dirt even though I was working on behalf of our university. It was a tough job, although I would occasionally talk to people who wanted to reminisce about their time at the school, which was really interesting--especially when they had attended during an earlier era.
/back on topic/

I have been to the PSU creamery and it was heaven. I may have become chunky if I had gone to school there.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:31 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgher-Brad View Post
Not sure what college you went to (or if you went at all), but I can assure you I hate your university even more! PSU rules you, and you might as well stop denying it.
I didn't attend university in PA. I had no opinion on PSU before moving to PA 13 years ago. Yet this post pretty much sums up my interactions with PSU alumni since moving here. All the arrogance and condescending attitude w/o the credentials of Stanford or Duke grads.

I did stop at the Creamery once on my way across state and the milkshake I bought was excellent. So that reputation is well-deserved.

Last edited by sskink; 08-18-2014 at 08:23 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Didn't attend PSU, but went up and partied a few times with some friends. Overall fun time. However, I never got to attend a cult meeting at Beaver Stadium, so I am not sure what all the fuss is about.

I will say, I have never met alumni that behave in such a way. The whole, "you just don't understand what it means to be an Penn State alumn..." makes me laugh every time I hear it. Question the logic, and you will have them repeat it...."you just don't understand."

Old 08-18-2014, 08:45 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Didn't attend PSU, but went up and partied a few times with some friends. Overall fun time. However, I never got to attend a cult meeting at Beaver Stadium, so I am not sure what all the fuss is about.

I will say, I have never met alumni that behave in such a way. The whole, "you just don't understand what it means to be an Penn State alumn..." makes me laugh every time I hear it. Question the logic, and you will have them repeat it...."you just don't understand."
+1

The "we are" mentality freaks me out a bit as well (this, along with the fact the campus is in the middle of nowhere, is why I didn't want to go). But hey, it works for a lot of people, and I say all the more power to them.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:53 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I didn't attend university in PA. I had no opinion on PSU before moving to PA 13 years ago. Yet this post pretty much sums up my interactions with PSU alumni since moving here. All the arrogance and condescending attitude w/o the credentials of Stanford or Duke grads.

I did stop at the Creamery once on my way across state and the milkshake I bought was excellent. So that reputation is well-deserved.
You said it. Granted, far from all PSU alum act in this manner. My sister and brother-in-law are both proud PSU alum but often poke fun at the cult-ish behavior (especially over the last 3 years or so).

Its a beautiful campus and the area is gorgeous. The education it good, too. I just think the school could stand to de-emphasize sports a little and change their image (for the better). They had a chance to do so with all of the recent controversy but I'm not sure if anything has really changed.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

Well you just end up sounding like a bitter, jealous outsider when you say things like "I hate Penn State". It's pretty hard to actually "hate" a university when it's a large state school with a very diverse community with a myriad of goals and missions and priorities. I've had good fun with alumni of Pitt and Notre Dame over the years but I get where they're coming from and it's all for snorts and giggles. Some of the other PSU Haters are people like you who probably couldn't into University Park with your meager academic credentials and thus you hold years of resentment because of it. I feed off your hate because I got my degree and you don't.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

So what's your point? If you never attended PSU University Park, then you truly "dont understand what it means". It comes with a lot of pride and fond nostalgia. You really don't understand what that can do for your soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh