Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:18 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

At that price range, you basically won't be able to find much of size within either the most desirable portions of the city (from a school perspective) or the top suburban school districts. And forget about newer construction. You'll need to settle on average - either a part of the city with average schools (e.g., somewhere like Brookline), or a suburb with an average school district (e.g., somewhere like Crafton).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:23 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
At that price range, you basically won't be able to find much of size within either the most desirable portions of the city (from a school perspective) or the top suburban school districts. And forget about newer construction. You'll need to settle on average - either a part of the city with average schools (e.g., somewhere like Brookline), or a suburb with an average school district (e.g., somewhere like Crafton).
And decent 2 bedrooms are going for 120k (and selling) in Brookline these days. It is def a strange market in regards to housing in Brookline as there is actually a 1 bedroom house listed for 100k.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
And decent 2 bedrooms are going for 120k (and selling) in Brookline these days. It is def a strange market in regards to housing in Brookline as there is actually a 1 bedroom house listed for 100k.
Brookline seems weird, because while the low end of the market seems to be rising, the potential market there really does seem to "cap out" at around $150,000 even for the larger houses. I'm sure it won't stay that way for long however.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:39 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Brookline seems weird, because while the low end of the market seems to be rising, the potential market there really does seem to "cap out" at around $150,000 even for the larger houses. I'm sure it won't stay that way for long however.
Definitely true and the houses are either in need of a full rehab, horribly modernized, or in a few cases (that rarely come on the market) modernized while maintaining their charm.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:23 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
There are 28 4 bedroom houses in upper st clair on the multi list under 275,000. I think 130,000 was the low. Houses are out there you justhave to do the leg work.

Dont forget to check south fayette

Old 08-21-2014, 08:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
There are 28 4 bedroom houses in upper st clair on the multi list under 275,000. I think 130,000 was the low. Houses are out there you justhave to do the leg work.
There were so many houses in the top school districts, I got tired of clicking on all of them by the time I got to the South Hills. The top district that doesn't have many houses is Fox Chapel.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 PM

There are so many good schools in this area. I have family that live in south carolina, their children go to one of the best schools in the state. My son is younger and an average student, but he is far advanced in math, reading, and speeking a foreign language.

I have a guy who works for me, his son is 2 grades behind my son, but they are doing the same math work.

There are alot of good schools that dont get mentioned because of the fox chapels and mt lebo and usc. There is montour, moon, canon mac, franklin regional, chartiers valley, hampton, norwin, bethle park, south park, trinity, and south fayette plus many more. These schools rank in the top third in the state. If you have a child in any one of these districts you are not doing them a disservice

Old 08-21-2014, 09:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
There are alot of good schools that dont get mentioned because of the fox chapels and mt lebo and usc. There is montour, moon, canon mac, franklin regional, chartiers valley, hampton, norwin, bethle park, south park, trinity, and south fayette plus many more. These schools rank in the top third in the state. If you have a child in any one of these districts you are not doing them a disservice
Totally agree. I get tired of arguing with people about it here. Add North Hills School District to the list. It's among the best and gets completely ignored because the housing is older.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 PM

I love this Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedwhen people ***** about the school taxes, instead they should question why the investment in there districts education is not paying off. Poor results cause propert values to remain stagnent or fall.

Pittsburgh is a large district so the cost per student should be lower, they need to start at the elementary level and make school fun, make school a priority in these kids lives, give the kids a good breakfast and lunch so they are not hungry, make the schools safe for the kids, don't waste money on out of date school buildings that are sitting vacant. Pittsburgh has the money to do so much better, it is a shame that they cant spend it better.

Pittsburgh spends 4,000 per student more than mt lebo.

Last edited by Yac; 08-22-2014 at 05:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh