Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I think you need to realize that there's a huge difference between the Rockies and the Appalacians. They are much older than the Rockies, and therefore have been worn down quite a bit more over time. There are some steep hills occasionally, but it's not like you'll be teetering on the edge of many cliffs.
I agree. Driving out West can be terrifying with curves right on the edge of drop cliffs without guardrails. But to people who are used to the Midwest, the Appalachians will be nerve racking. I have transplant friends who are afraid to drive around Pittsburgh because of the hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I agree with the PA Turnpike to Breezewood, and then south on I-70. It's more direct with regular rest stops etc. Seriously, it's a nice drive.
It's the most direct route from Pittsburgh, not Columbus. Columbus and Baltimore are significantly further south of Pittsburgh. Everyone here is giving recommendations based on their driving to Baltimore from Pittsburgh because they're, well, Pittsburghers who live in Pittsburgh. The most direct route from Columbus to Baltimore is the one the OP initially planned.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:29 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,709 times
id suggest taking i-76 then i-70. i-70 from breezewood to i-270S is pretty much flat with the exception of the first 23 miles or so, until you cross over into MD from PA. only part id think youd find scary, and i think isn't, is when you're descending near town hill,PA since its on a mountain overlooking town hill, PA.

for references, i-70 from i-270 to PA turnpike is about 77 miles, of which the first or last 23 miles( depending which way you're going and in your case, the first) go through PA and speed limit drops down to 55 mph from 65. cops from PA are notorious for enforcing speeds here especially around town hill,PA.

i cant speak about the turnpike north of the city itself, but as someone who lived in PGH and had family in northern va and drove this route often, i suggest the i-70/76/70 route as its scenic, easy, and not as scary as youd think

ps: and once you hit or come close to Hagerstown,MD i say.. welcome! i hope you enjoy the DC area traffic we provide

Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,854 times
I-70 to I-76 to I-70 is the best route whether you are driving from Columbus or Pittsburgh. I'm not saying that 43 and 40 is a horrible way to go, but it's just not the best route for this particular situation. Maybe the last time I was on 43 and 40 there was construction which reduced the number of lanes. Even if 43 and 40 is construction free, 70 to 76 to 70 would be better in this case.

Jersey barriers, orange barrels, traffic cones and signs are littered throughout Pennsylvania's highways. Planning a driving trip across PA based on avoidance of jersey barriers, orange barriers etc. is really an exercise in futility. I also wouldn't call any parts of the Turnpike "scary".

Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 AM

11 posts, read 27,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I agree. Driving out West can be terrifying with curves right on the edge of drop cliffs without guardrails. But to people who are used to the Midwest, the Appalachians will be nerve racking. I have transplant friends who are afraid to drive around Pittsburgh because of the hills.

It's the most direct route from Pittsburgh, not Columbus. Columbus and Baltimore are significantly further south of Pittsburgh. Everyone here is giving recommendations based on their driving to Baltimore from Pittsburgh because they're, well, Pittsburghers who live in Pittsburgh. The most direct route from Columbus to Baltimore is the one the OP initially planned.
Thank you all so much. Hopes, I think for now we are still planning on our original route. It's true, we are used to Midwestern roads. I'm sure we will come to appreciate the hills, but for our first trip we'd like to stay as calm as possible.
When I wrote "no barriers" I meant that I've heard that in some places there are no barriers between you and a steep drop from a mountain. I don't mind the barriers in the middle of the highway, land or jersey or cones.
Why do people think the 43/40 is "worse" than 70/76/70 aside from not being as scenic and direct?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:16 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibrio View Post
Why do people think the 43/40 is "worse" than 70/76/70 aside from not being as scenic and direct?
Because it is a narrow two lane once you get on 40.
Because going on 40 has you pulling the Summit... which can be harrowing for newbies.
Because it is an overall harder drive.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:21 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Thank you all so much. Hopes, I think for now we are still planning on our original route. It's true, we are used to Midwestern roads. I'm sure we will come to appreciate the hills, but for our first trip we'd like to stay as calm as possible.
When I wrote "no barriers" I meant that I've heard that in some places there are no barriers between you and a steep drop from a mountain. I don't mind the barriers in the middle of the highway, land or jersey or cones.
There is no place on the I-70/76 where there are steep drops.

The problem with the route you are planning is Route 40 is a two lane highway from Uniontown to Keyser's Ridge MD. I think it is a more scenic route than the PA Turnpike and you will not be paying the PA Turnpike tolls once you exit I-43. You will probably average 45-50 MPH.

The section of Route 40 just east of Uniontown is very steep for approximately 3 miles. I-68 is a newer and nicer highway than the PA Turnpike.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Because it is a narrow two lane once you get on 40.
Because going on 40 has you pulling the Summit... which can be harrowing for newbies.
Because it is an overall harder drive.
Pitt Chick is right. I was just looking at some street level screenshots of 40 and there are some serious grades, more severe than anything you will encounter on the turnpike.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 AM

11 posts, read 27,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Pitt Chick is right. I was just looking at some street level screenshots of 40 and there are some serious grades, more severe than anything you will encounter on the turnpike.
Ok thank you all so much.
If most of you think that we will not encounter anything truly scary, I think we will go for the 70/76/70, even though we will pay a toll and have to be high up, it seems like the easiest drive.

Some friends told us they had a really scary time a while back on I-76 coming from North of where we started. Do you think they meant coming from I-80 through PA on I-76?

One last thing - we will be on the last leg of our drive today around these parts, and we'd like to avoid driving at night. Where would be a good place to stop near the end of this route in case we can't make it into Maryland by dark?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Ok thank you all so much.
If most of you think that we will not encounter anything truly scary, I think we will go for the 70/76/70, even though we will pay a toll and have to be high up, it seems like the easiest drive.

Some friends told us they had a really scary time a while back on I-76 coming from North of where we started. Do you think they meant coming from I-80 through PA on I-76?

One last thing - we will be on the last leg of our drive today around these parts, and we'd like to avoid driving at night. Where would be a good place to stop near the end of this route in case we can't make it into Maryland by dark?
I honestly don't know of any scary strecthes of I-80 or the Turnpike.

Breezewood is a trucker's paradise, lots of restaurants and hotels. Hagerstown, MD just across the state line will also have some amenities.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:56 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
U.S. 40 narrows to two lanes in the Laurel Highlands and has some grades steep enough for 18-wheelers to have to check their brakes first. I know that there's a 7% grade just east of Uniontown and a 10% grade near the Maryland state line.

As for the Turnpike, the steepest grade is 5% immediately east of the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel. There's no more than a 3% grade anywhere else, and there's no straddling any cliffs, though you ought to keep it slow when you exit the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel, because the 5% grade starts there, and there's a curve to the right after a half-mile straightaway. If you don't mind a two-mile downgrade with a couple of curves, then you should be fine. That's one of only two parts of the Turnpike that's even remotely challenging, and the other part you won't be driving on anyway. And the only construction sites I know of on the segment of the Turnpike that you'd be taking are from MM 99 to MM 102, and MM 130 to MM 134, and I think both of those just involve replacing some overpasses at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh