Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:32 PM

439 posts, read 1,473,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The t is great, if penn dot would have built the boyce road interchange to get rid of some of the bridgeville congestion your commute to wexford would be so much better.

What are they building at whilshire park, it looks like they took out the sprinkler seal that has been there since i was a kid.
They just rebuilt the basketball and hockey courts. Didn't get down as far as the sprinkler. Will have to check that out.

Never heard about the Boyce interchange but that would be awesome if it was ever built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:11 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
The boyce interchange was from when i was a kid.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:29 PM

439 posts, read 1,473,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The t is great, if penn dot would have built the boyce road interchange to get rid of some of the bridgeville congestion your commute to wexford would be so much better.

What are they building at whilshire park, it looks like they took out the sprinkler seal that has been there since i was a kid.
Seal sprinkler is still there for now.

They tore out the swing sets and the spinning ride. I am guessing they are putting in new swings.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:21 PM

199 posts, read 521,012 times
On the snob front, I'll preface this by saying I've never lived in USC (spent six months in Bethel Park, two years in Lebo, and one year in Brookline) but my husband's sister lives there.

She (alongside my husband) was born and raised in Bethel Park in a nice but subtle working-class home. She and her husband relocated to USC when they found a foreclosed home with interior disrepair and got it at a great price. (To be completely honest, were the house not in disrepair they would not have been able to afford it.) All is well and their house is remodeled and gorgeous and worth three times what they put into it, but there's a problem within the family--dear sister-in-law has become someone we barely recognize. She has become condescending (even to us) when she talks about how much better USC is than any other district/community (despite no other family members living in USC), she has started to buy vehicles and clothing and possessions that are out of her league to keep up with her neighbors, and she has become judgmental in nearly every social facet when she never used to be.

Her reaction to the new Target at SHV was, verbatim, "I'm SO glad I can finally shop at Target again." "Why did you stop?" "Because I do NOT shop in West Mifflin."

All of this being said, this certainly does not happen to everyone who moves there, nor is everyone in that community like this and I do believe it is unfair to label an entire community as snobs just because a few act this way and have since influenced my sister-in-law to behave this way. Just throwing in my experience.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
Her reaction to the new Target at SHV was, verbatim, "I'm SO glad I can finally shop at Target again." "Why did you stop?" "Because I do NOT shop in West Mifflin."

Why didn't she just go to the one in Homestead?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
On the snob front, I'll preface this by saying I've never lived in USC (spent six months in Bethel Park, two years in Lebo, and one year in Brookline) but my husband's sister lives there.

She (alongside my husband) was born and raised in Bethel Park in a nice but subtle working-class home. She and her husband relocated to USC when they found a foreclosed home with interior disrepair and got it at a great price. (To be completely honest, were the house not in disrepair they would not have been able to afford it.) All is well and their house is remodeled and gorgeous and worth three times what they put into it, but there's a problem within the family--dear sister-in-law has become someone we barely recognize. She has become condescending (even to us) when she talks about how much better USC is than any other district/community (despite no other family members living in USC), she has started to buy vehicles and clothing and possessions that are out of her league to keep up with her neighbors, and she has become judgmental in nearly every social facet when she never used to be.

All of this being said, this certainly does not happen to everyone who moves there, nor is everyone in that community like this and I do believe it is unfair to label an entire community as snobs just because a few act this way and have since influenced my sister-in-law to behave this way. Just throwing in my experience.
As a USC resident, I cannot deny that those sorts exist. But they're a minority.

However, I will note that if you go into that Target, a good portion of the clientele look like they came from someplace far worse than West Mifflin... they could be those folks you find on one of the "I can't believe somebody wore this in public to Wal*Mart" sites. I believe Target is actually in BP, which is why USC doesn't have a bouncer outside to keep out the riff-raff

Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 PM

I think your sister in law may just be a #π£¥℅, they can live anywhere, most of USC is upper middle class and some new money, the average home is a three bedroom two bathroom ryan home. the majority of the people that I know from there are good hardworking people. I know alot of families from growing up there and very few are snobby. Then again there is always going to be a mix of personalities no matter where you live.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:40 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
i just glanced at this thread. There was a theme of "snobbiness". You want to talk "snobbery"? It's EVERYWHERE, and not exclusive to the upper economic class. If you look differently, dress differently, and speak differently, in a vastly homogeneous neighborhood, chances are you will feel that place to be snobby.

Skybus - I'm not sure I'd be a fan of that. I had known about it for years, but thank you for the link, villageidiot1 - will peruse it later. I'm sure it has its share of disadvantages. I'm not sure I'd blame GM for its never coming to fruition. There is no evidence for that.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 AM

I just remember my dad telling me how gm was trying to keep Westinghouse's Skybus from happening, the south hills village car barn is where Skybus was to start from, maybe the county just went with light rail instead. Did Auto, Oil Conspiracy Put the Brakes on Trolleys? - latimes if the infrastructure is already in place, trolley lines are very economical to operate.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:23 PM

367 posts, read 457,750 times
I just went back and read over my old thread, and since I've been posting in other forums a lot lately, I thought I would give a little follow up here.

We did relocate to Upper St. Clair, after finding a home well within our budget. My husband has done well with his new position in Pittsburgh, and I was able to find employment very quickly much like what I was doing in Maine that pays a little better to boot! Kids have adjusted extremely well.

I love it here, but I also love Mt. Lebo. Heck, I love all of suburban Pittsburgh! If anyone is debating between these two towns as I was back in August, you can't go wrong with either.

I am still learning about all that I can do in the city of Pittsburgh itself, but simply find the city to be better then I thought possible, and there is such a nice sense of community pride here. That was important to me, and I love it.

Thanks again for all the advice I was given last year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh