Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
No. What the numbers don't say is that the growth in the city is from local migration. The population is moving to mainly Butler, Washington, and Allegheny counties from the surrounding areas.
Stop spreading disinformation. Your post doesn't even answer NJ Brazen's question. He didn't ask about population growth so population movement is irrelevant. He asked if Pittsburgh has enough employment available for people with higher degrees. The answer is YES. People with higher degrees has the lowest unemployment rate in the region.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...74035653,d.b2U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 02:40 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
No. What the numbers don't say is that the growth in the city is from local migration. The population is moving to mainly Butler, Washington, and Allegheny counties from the surrounding areas.
Except for the 24,338 people who moved to Allegheny County from counties outside of Pennsylvania in 2011, that is. And before you ask about outmigration to counties outside of Pennsylvania, the total is 23,661, which means that Allegheny County had a net increase of 677 people from outside of Pennsylvania in 2011, which is the most recent year that migration data is available.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:25 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Stop spreading disinformation. Your post doesn't even answer NJ Brazen's question. He didn't ask about population growth so population movement is irrelevant. He asked if Pittsburgh has enough employment available for people with higher degrees. The answer is YES. People with higher degrees has the lowest unemployment rate in the region.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...74035653,d.b2U

How is Westinghouse disinformation? They moved from one county (Westmoreland) to another (Butler) in the Pittsburgh region. Regional population movement is terribly important if that is what is fueling construction and job growth (Cranberry/Wexford).

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/no...s/201206140346

Old 08-28-2014, 06:28 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I was waiting to see if some one will write this. It only took like 5 or posts, that is quick

But really, it is probably none of my business, but how true is this statement?

Having a highly educated workforce may seem nice, yet, they still need the right jobs. Is Pittsburgh's economy booming with high paying jobs, that require high levels of schooling?
I work in the tech field (which is the one of the hottest fields in the city currently). It's normal to get $20 - $30k less a year than the averages posted on Glassdoor or elsewhere. The reason for this is there is a huge "permatemp" and H1-B culture amongst employers here. The real reason there has been a tech explosion here is because you can pay people almost half of what you do on the coasts.

The only reason I have a job at my current company is because they're paying me tens of thousands less than what I would have to get where their headquarters are. So in my experience (and every time the topic appears on other message boards) people with advanced degrees are getting paid a lot less here.

So why has the average income per capita gone up in some graphs? Simply because venture capitalists are throwing money at startups and a select few are skewing the averages by being infused with cash. The startup scene has grown dramatically since 2009, but that doesn't mean that the underlings are getting paid more.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:37 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I work in the tech field (which is the one of the hottest fields in the city currently). It's normal to get $20 - $30k less a year than the averages posted on Glassdoor or elsewhere. The reason for this is there is a huge "permatemp" and H1-B culture amongst employers here. The real reason there has been a tech explosion here is because you can pay people almost half of what you do on the coasts.
Because a few very high salaries can pull up the average while leaving the median untouched, it's normal for more than half of the people to earn less than the average. Still, salaries are lower for educated workers here. It's nothing close to half of what you can get on the coasts in my field, but it is quite a bit lower.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:38 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Because a few very high salaries can pull up the average while leaving the median untouched, it's normal for more than half of the people to earn less than the average. Still, salaries are lower for educated workers here. It's nothing close to half of what you can get on the coasts in my field, but it is quite a bit lower.
And it is sooooo cheap to live in San Fran or Boston, isn't it?

Old 08-28-2014, 06:42 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
And it is sooooo cheap to live in San Fran or Boston, isn't it?
I do work for people in both those cities, I assume because they can't find anybody with my skills for what they want to pay.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:49 AM

373 posts, read 377,894 times
Quote:
How is Westinghouse disinformation? They moved from one county (Westmoreland) to another (Butler) in the Pittsburgh region. Regional population movement is terribly important if that is what is fueling construction and job growth (Cranberry/Wexford).

Westinghouse's move to Cranberry is complete - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Westinghouse moved from Allegheny County, for the record.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:22 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

The only reason I have a job at my current company is because they're paying me tens of thousands less than what I would have to get where their headquarters are. So in my experience (and every time the topic appears on other message boards) people with advanced degrees are getting paid a lot less here.

So why has the average income per capita gone up in some graphs? Simply because venture capitalists are throwing money at startups and a select few are skewing the averages by being infused with cash. The startup scene has grown dramatically since 2009, but that doesn't mean that the underlings are getting paid more.
So it's not like paying people less for a job because they live in a low cost of living area is anything unique to Pittsburgh. It's a time honored practice worldwide. Hence it wouldn't surprise me if what you say is true to some a large extent. In my old job I was paid maybe ~30K less than someone at an equivalent lab in Berkeley. I was down with that. I saved almost that much not paying CA taxes

I think you might find that there's actually more than a 'select few' in startups getting paid pretty good salaries in the hi-tech area though. I have no idea if Google pay less here than in San Jose or New York, but I know they pay well in real terms. So do IBM (a big chunk of the Watson team is here, and it's expanding), and I have a few buddies in large company R&D labs who aren't starving. This is a growth area for Pittsburgh, and lets hope it continues so everyone will benefit.

Maybe you could go work for one of these 'elite' startups?

Old 08-28-2014, 07:50 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
So it's not like paying people less for a job because they live in a low cost of living area is anything unique to Pittsburgh. It's a time honored practice worldwide. Hence it wouldn't surprise me if what you say is true to some a large extent. In my old job I was paid maybe ~30K less than someone at an equivalent lab in Berkeley. I was down with that. I saved almost that much not paying CA taxes

I think you might find that there's actually more than a 'select few' in startups getting paid pretty good salaries in the hi-tech area though. I have no idea if Google pay less here than in San Jose or New York, but I know they pay well in real terms. So do IBM (a big chunk of the Watson team is here, and it's expanding), and I have a few buddies in large company R&D labs who aren't starving. This is a growth area for Pittsburgh, and lets hope it continues so everyone will benefit.

Maybe you could go work for one of these 'elite' startups?
Of course people get paid less because they live in a low cost of living area, but that "oh so cheap" gap for Pittsburgh has been rapidly closing while wages remain stagnant.

You may have misunderstood what I meant in regards to startups. Most startups are still paying people under national salaries, it's the owners and top level management who are getting big bucks thanks to being flush with cash via venture capitalists.

I think a big part of the fact that big salaries haven't "trickled down" to the underlings yet is because Pittsburgh startups as a whole have been met with lukewarm success overall. I'm hoping that changes because I'm in the middle of the startup world in various ways right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh