Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times

Advertisements

Only took them 10 years, and 4 mayors to take action.

City Sues Perry South Homeowner Because Of Piles Of Garbage On Property « CBS Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 11:52 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Poor people.... and poor owner. Hoarding is a disease. Normal people don't do this. And the fact of the matter is if they go in and forcibly clean it up, and do nothing to treat the guy, it won't stay clean for long.

I know from experience.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:56 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
It's apparently a bit more disgusting than usual in this version of the story.

City sues Pittsburgh homeowner over house of filth | Local News - WTAE Home

Old 08-30-2014, 12:01 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Here's the street view: https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CCAQxB0wAA

Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
He'll end up homeless. It's a shame there isn't a better way to get these people the help they need. I can relate from a neighborhood perspective. I had a neighbor like this until he accidently burned the house down. It was bittersweet. We were sad he lost his home and ended up homeless, but we were happy the mess was gone. There was another elderly lady who lived on Middle Road. I gave her ride home once. Even though the outside of her home was normal, I could tell via the house windows she was a hoarder. A year later I noticed a condemned sign on her house. I've also seen quite a few car hoarders. It's really heartbreaking. There has to be medication to treat this. I'd rather see court orders to seek treatment and stay in treatment instead of just letters being sent since 2009 until neighbors are so fed up they have to take a stand and force the city to do more than send letters.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:43 PM

778 posts, read 839,965 times
The house next door to mine was lived in for many years by elderly hoarders (and their daughter who seemed to have similar tendencies, which is no surprise since the disease runs in families). It didn't look like this house from the outside, but it was and remains dilapidated and a major eyesore. When they lived there, the neighborhood pretty much gave them a pass because it's not like yelling about it was going to accomplish anything beyond distressing them. They clearly couldn't help it, and were on a fixed income so couldn't even afford to do necessary structural stuff to the outside. The rest of their kids finally intervened and got them into assisted living and the house was sold at Sheriff's auction for back taxes.

(The new owner has had it for 3 years and has done nothing with it--he likely got it sight-unseen thinking he'd easily flip it--so it sits, probably full of horrific garbage and vermin, and this dude who owns it now has no excuse. If anyone wants a complete gut-job/possible tear-down in Stanton Heights, it's for sale for an utterly absurd amount of money, which is why it hasn't sold yet, and never will.)

Old 09-01-2014, 05:51 PM

146 posts, read 296,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
He'll end up homeless.
He spent the 30 years before someone gifted him that house homeless.

Quote:
Only took them 10 years, and 4 mayors to take action.
They'd been citing him repeatedly, but when someone has $0 to their name, $0 income, and nothing but the four walls around them, there isn't a whole lot you can do to financially motivate them.

And I can't speak for everyone, but I'd rather we NOT move in the direction of making it easier for the government to force people out of homes they own, even if it means stories like this.

(I live down the street from him so this isn't just 'a story in the paper' for me)

Old 09-01-2014, 06:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerunner View Post
They'd been citing him repeatedly, but when someone has $0 to their name, $0 income, and nothing but the four walls around them, there isn't a whole lot you can do to financially motivate them.

And I can't speak for everyone, but I'd rather we NOT move in the direction of making it easier for the government to force people out of homes they own, even if it means stories like this.

(I live down the street from him so this isn't just 'a story in the paper' for me)
Is kicking him out what the majority of the people in the neighborhood want? Or is it just a few people?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerunner View Post
He spent the 30 years before someone gifted him that house homeless.

This has nothing to do with finances. One of the most famous cases is the two millionaire brothers in New York, one of whom was killed when the huge piles of newspaper toppled over him.

He's mentally ill. He has to have garbage service, isn't that a normal service in cities?... but he can't throw anything away, because he might need it, or it's wasteful to throw perfectly good garbage out, or he has plans for those things. There's always a reason, and it's never ever good.

You might live down the street from it, but I have some relatives that have it, and my husband is Stage 1, and as long as he keeps selling the stuff he brings in we won't have a problem. And he is, and has done for years.

In some ways I feel like the woman who goes to the psychiatrist and complains her husband thinks he's a chicken. The doctor asked her how long this had been going on, and she answered for 12 years. The doctor is aghast and asked why she didn't come sooner and she replied, well we needed the eggs.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:05 AM

146 posts, read 296,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Is kicking him out what the majority of the people in the neighborhood want? Or is it just a few people?
Nobody would care if he stayed until his dying breath if the lot were cleaned up and his house fixed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
This has nothing to do with finances. One of the most famous cases is the two millionaire brothers in New York, one of whom was killed when the huge piles of newspaper toppled over him.

He's mentally ill. He has to have garbage service, isn't that a normal service in cities?... but he can't throw anything away, because he might need it, or it's wasteful to throw perfectly good garbage out, or he has plans for those things. There's always a reason, and it's never ever good.

You might live down the street from it, but I have some relatives that have it, and my husband is Stage 1, and as long as he keeps selling the stuff he brings in we won't have a problem. And he is, and has done for years.

In some ways I feel like the woman who goes to the psychiatrist and complains her husband thinks he's a chicken. The doctor asked her how long this had been going on, and she answered for 12 years. The doctor is aghast and asked why she didn't come sooner and she replied, well we needed the eggs.
I don't even know what you're responding to since none of that is relevant to what I said or what I was responding to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh