Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 03:46 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times

Advertisements

I have never before heard people complain about our laid back attitude. BTW I work Downtown and have to wear a collared shirt and dress pants everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 03:51 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Yeah, it certainly depends on your profession as to what one wears/is required to wear.

Why the resentment towards hipsters?

Old 08-31-2014, 03:59 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,575 times
I have this image of the OP at his workplace grimly wearing a suit and tie like he's at a funeral while all of his co-workers are happily going about their business in jeans and t-shirts.

I hate to break this to you but it's 2014, not 1955 and no one cares how you dress. My employer doesn't care if I'm wearing a white button down shirt or a black death metal t-shirt, they car how well I do my job and how hard I work at it.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:15 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander77 View Post
slacks
I wonder if using the word "slacks" is regional. I don't think I've heard it for years.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:36 PM

"Back in the day" once again comes to mind.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:39 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Rather than complaining about what you see, why don't you explain exactly what it is you're looking for in terms of size, price, age of construction, neighborhood amenities, etc.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:47 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh caters to college aged children to the point where there aren't any good places to buy housing close to the city other than Squirrel Hill. .

I still can't get over this sentence. Squirrell Hill strikes me as one of the worst places to buy if you're turned off by college students.

I see a lot of other people have responded to the rest of the OP's complaints, and the last post (about telling the forum what you're actually looking for instead of just saying it can't be found) really gets to the heart of the matter, but I just had to chime in to say of course you think Pittsburgh caters to the college crowd if you can't get past Squirrel Hill.

It's true that we have a lot of old buildings, but more and more are being fixed up every year, and the results are spectacular. To name one example close to our house -- I think the Mexican War Streets are overpriced compared to the rest of the North side, but even so you can still buy a house there for a fraction of what it would cost to own a condo anywhere in DC, and even though it's smallish the neighborhood itself is fantastic, and the North side as a whole is getting better all the time.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:03 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your choice to move here. Did you take any time to find out what to expect before you moved? The way I see it you have two options. Stop comparing Pittsburgh to DC and start finding things to appreciate about the place you live that are unique to it. Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh. Try to learn to appreciate it for what it is. If you spend all of your time focusing on what Pittsburgh is not you will miss out on all of the good things that Pittsburgh is.

Expecting this place to be like another place is kinda like expecting new friends to be exactly like the old ones. Or you can just pack up and move back to DC where everything will be exactly the way you prefer it to be.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:43 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
I'm now surrounded by people that typically refuse to wear polos.

For the record, I'm fine with casual or formal attire, but I absolutely detest polo attire. My advanced apologies to those who do.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your choice to move here. Did you take any time to find out what to expect before you moved? The way I see it you have two options. Stop comparing Pittsburgh to DC and start finding things to appreciate about the place you live that are unique to it. Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh. Try to learn to appreciate it for what it is. If you spend all of your time focusing on what Pittsburgh is not you will miss out on all of the good things that Pittsburgh is.

Expecting this place to be like another place is kinda like expecting new friends to be exactly like the old ones. Or you can just pack up and move back to DC where everything will be exactly the way you prefer it to be.
This...and this is true of most threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh