Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:03 PM

103 posts, read 109,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Have you checked it to see if it will go off if it is breached? Is the alarm loud? I wouldn't pay the monthly if I had a loud alarm on a home there. Why pay the $30 a month if you don't have to?
We tried to remove the door sensor (we initially thought it was part of a wireless bell with dead battery) and alarm immediately went off when we tried to open it; also we tried opening the doors. The alarm goes off and it says which door is open. It's not extremely loud, but that would be enough for us to wake up.

Well, that was part of my question. Will having the alarm connected to security agency help more in case of a break-in, in comparison with just me calling the police? We don't have anything supervaluable in the house, so my main concern is my and my family's physical safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 05:05 PM

103 posts, read 109,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I have Guardian. The reason I chose Guardian was because they're headquartered in Warrendale, PA. If I say "Crafton Heights," they don't ask, "What state is that in?"

I was hesitant to get a security system, but I'm glad I have one. I feel safe in my neighborhood and my street. But, the nice part is, when I leave and arm the system, I have the peace of mind that my home is safe. Everything comes to my iPhone via their app. If a door or window that has a sensor is opened, I can see it. If an alarm were to go off, I'd know instantly. Also, the smoke alarm that is tied into the system will automatically contact the fire department should there be a fire. I like having mine basically for peace of mind. I can also remotely control my thermostat and door locks with their system.

I would NOT recommend the Comcast security system. I had Comcast services in my house for the first two weeks I owned the house. They couldn't get the cable or Internet physically working in the house. Not to mention, the security system had a funky contract that required you to have their broadband Internet access for the course of the contract. The contract becomes fully active within a few business days of signing and it essentially voids their 30 day money back guarantee. Basically, their contract, in my opinion, is a messy trap waiting to happen.

Hope some of that is useful for you...
Thank you, that helps.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minthotchocolate View Post
Well, that was part of my question. Will having the alarm connected to security agency help more in case of a break-in, in comparison with just me calling the police? We don't have anything supervaluable in the house, so my main concern is my and my family's physical safety.
I would rather be in charge of calling the police, but either way. I just think it is a waste of money to have it hooked up. If you were a thief and heard an alarm, what would you do? Run. Thieves aren't the brightest bulbs, but they know the cops are on the way and in Point Breeze they will be pretty fast because it is next to East Liberty. Last time I called 9/11 in East Liberty because someone was trying to break into my car the cops were there in less than 3 minutes. I kid you not. Turned out the guy was just some drunk and I was okay with that, so he was let go. He was more interested in finding some food to sober up and was kind of funny, but it was the middle of the night and no one around. 3:50AM. I work crazy hours.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:09 PM

697 posts, read 773,818 times
Alarm signs can be great deterrents. Motion detector lights are good outside, as is leaving a light on at night. I agree with others that if the alarm works, you may not need to invest in paid monitoring.

Most of the crime issues I've hear of in Park Place are people having stuff taken via an open window or back or front door, sometimes when they're home. Also car break-ins. In Point Breeze, I know people who have had things taken off front or back porch and cars broken into. Key is not to leave anything of value in view from car window. Just minimize your chance of crimes of opportunity. Point Breeze is awesome.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
I'd stick with the security system you have. The most important thing is having an alarm that will go off when breached. The sound deters burglars. If you're not home, your safety isn't at risk. If you're home, the sound alerts you. I'd rather rely on myself to call the police. Expecting an alarm system or security company to do it is false security and a potential error. Wouldn't it be terrible to assume the police are being notified when they're not because the system wasn't working properly or something?

I really don't like the idea of security companies monitoring from a distance or being electronically connected in any way to a security company. I've heard stories from security company workers about companies ease dropping and such. One in particular walked in on a supervisor listening to a family preparing dinner with the children yapping and clambering around. Call me paranoid, but we have enough invasions of privacy in our lives without inviting more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh