U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-18-2007, 08:09 PM

148 posts, read 366,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessMommy View Post
We are looking to relocate to the Squirrel Hill/Point Breeze/Shadyside/North Forbes area from Washington DC. We have a bilingual house and are considering Colfax. Is Colfax considered a top school in these neighborhoods? What are the other elementary schools we should consider in those locations?

Thank you.
Try this link, http://www.pghboe.net/

I grew up in the greenfield area so Point breeze, Squirrel hill, north forbes and shady side is around us.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,780,771 times
look into North Stabane township in south hills (washington county). you can still get a nice house for around $150.00. The schools are in CannonMac school district and are very good.
Peter's township right next door has the #1 school district in Washinton County but finding a house for $150 would be hard pressed. small and in need of work. if you pushed it to $180 you'd have better luck.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:39 PM

21 posts, read 73,990 times
None of the schools listed are good. Except for North allegheny, Mt Nebo, and Riverview. Stay away from downtown. If you want the avergage education that doesnt ware your kids out and is alot easier choose these:

1. CanonMac- Washington County
2. West Allegheny- Allegheny County
3. Ringgold Area- Washington County
4. Brentwood- Allegheny County
5.California Area- Washington County
6. Penns Manor- Indiana County
7. Shaler- Allegheny County
8. North Allegheny- Allegheny County
9.Oil City Area- Venango County
10. Hermitage Schools- Mercer Co. County
11. North Hils- Allegheny County
--------------------------------------
Some Smaller schools that are very effective and easy for your children are:

1. Uniontown Area- Fayette
2. Cornell- Allegheny
3. Albert Gallatin( Stay away from Laurel Highlands)- Fayette
4. Turkeyfoot Valley- Somerset
5. Berlin Brothers Valley- somerset
6.Fort Cherry Area- Washington
------------------------------------------------

Other Great Schools Around the Pittsburgh/Youngstown/Morgantown Area

1. Brook County Schools- WV
2. Trumbull County Schools- OH
3. Marshall County School District- OH
4. Wetzel County School District- WV
5. West Green School District- PA
6. Preston County School District- WV
7. Somerset Area School District- PA

Old 06-24-2007, 04:23 PM

133 posts, read 379,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLERfromPENNHILLS View Post
STAY AWAY from Wilkinsburg, McKeesport, Plum Borough, Bethel Park, Upper St. Clair (USC), Mt. Lebanon, Riverview, and East Allegheny. These schools are FULL of drugs, because these are upper class schools, where all the kids afford drugs like heroin. I wouldn't teach there or send my kids there if my life depended on it.
I think this is the first time I've ever seen Wilkinsburg and McKeesport listed as upper class schools. I'm curious to hear some of your lower class schools?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,919 times
In terms of Washington County...
Canon-McMillan is definitely a good choice (both for your children and for teaching). The district encompasses 2 of the faster-growing townships in Washington County (outer-ring suburbs), so the district is an mixture of small town and suburbia. Also, housing is fairly affordable in district (North Strabane, Cecil and Canonsburg). Peters Township Schools would also be a great choice, but again, housing here is tending to get pricey as the township reaches build-out. STAY AWAY FROM TRINITY AREA and washington city schools. Supposedly, trinity is only replacing about 8 of the 30-some teachers that retired at the end of the 06/07 school year, even though they are seeing a lot of growth in south strabane twp (expect to see some program cuts?). also, there is a lot of gang activity between groups in trinity and washington, since the districts are economically and racially segregated. (trinity=very suburban and very rural; washington=urban)

anecdotally,
-South Strabane is becoming an ugly, overly build, suburban strip mall haven with all its new commercial development.
-drugs are becoming common throughout suburbia, so to say there are more or worst drugs in places like mt lebo and U.S.C. is misleading. yes, there will be drug users there, but these schools also produce high-test scores (some of the highest in PA) and have students with white collar parents who usually encourage their kids to attend good colleges, etc. (aren't mt lebo, fox chapel, upper st clair, south fayette, peters twp all top 50 school districts in PA?)

Old 06-24-2007, 05:31 PM

267 posts, read 536,734 times
Do you have a teaching job secured here? Otherwise, beware - there are a ton of unemployed teachers in the Pittsburgh area. Unless you're willing to sub for a while to get into somewhere, maybe you'd be better off moving elsewhere and/or getting another field.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:42 PM

267 posts, read 536,734 times
BTW, I graduated from USC 25 years ago and there were TONS of drugs there, but that happens anywhere. It's an upscale suburban community, big houses, green lawns, but a lot of excess and a lot of kids with a serious sense of entitlement.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:48 AM

114 posts, read 233,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLERfromPENNHILLS View Post
STAY AWAY from Wilkinsburg, McKeesport, Plum Borough, Bethel Park, Upper St. Clair (USC), Mt. Lebanon, Riverview, and East Allegheny. These schools are FULL of drugs, because these are upper class schools, where all the kids afford drugs like heroin. I wouldn't teach there or send my kids there if my life depended on it.

Also stay away from Pittsburgh Public Schools (Downtown Schools).

Schools I recommend would be the ones PghREA mentioned above, as well as Allegheny Valley, West Mifflin, and possibly Gateway. Penn Hills isn't bad either - we're a very large school district. Yes, we get a bad rap sometimes, but it's because here, we actually do something when needed, unlike some schools like Bethel Park, Mt. Lebanon, Plum, etc - where kids are on drugs all the time and the schools do nothing, and I do mean N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

I know a teacher whom teaches at Penn Hills' Linton Middle School, which alone has over 2,000 students, also from Atlanta, moved to Penn Hills 3 years ago, teaching in 7th grade English, and she absolutely loves it. Shes located, as I am, on the Penn Hills/Verona border, likely the best spot of Penn Hills. Stay away from the southern area of Penn Hills, which borders Wilkinsburg. Hope that helps!
TYLERfromPENNHILLS-

You do thousands of people a great disservice. Not only the OP, but to all those families living and working and raising children in those communities, which you named. When I planned a move from Northern NJ to this area, I researched and Researched and RESEARCHED! I tell you this-to further your towns cause is one thing, but to blatantly falsify information about those other towns is a crime. Plum Borough from my PERSONAL experience is GREAT place for families...likewise I have look into Bethel Park and Mt. Leb and it is truly LAUGHABLE to call those bad places.

To the OP, I beg you to disregard this poster, and look to the other people posting for more reasonable information.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:10 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,780,771 times
South hIlls schools.
1)Mt Lebo
2)Peter's township
3)UpStC
4)Bethel Park
5)Canon mac

South areas for affordability (you can live in one township and teach in another. I didn't know too many teachers that tught in Peters that lived in Peters.)

1)Cannonsburg
2)North Strabane/Cecil
3)Bethel Park
4)Peter's
5)UStC
6)MtLebo

I'll too say stay clear of Trinity schools.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 AM

81 posts, read 188,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
TYLERfromPENNHILLS-

You do thousands of people a great disservice. Not only the OP, but to all those families living and working and raising children in those communities, which you named. When I planned a move from Northern NJ to this area, I researched and Researched and RESEARCHED! I tell you this-to further your towns cause is one thing, but to blatantly falsify information about those other towns is a crime. Plum Borough from my PERSONAL experience is GREAT place for families...likewise I have look into Bethel Park and Mt. Leb and it is truly LAUGHABLE to call those bad places.

To the OP, I beg you to disregard this poster, and look to the other people posting for more reasonable information.
I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!

I was born and raised in Plum... moved out for a few years and moved back to raise my son here. He is in the Jr. High now and besides the taxes, which are increasing in all of Allegheny County, Plum Borough is one of the nicest places to raise children. The school district is VERY good!!! People from the area are moving into Plum because of our schools!

Penn Hills, on the other hand, people are moving out before their children go to school or sending them to private schools. I've heard nothing good about Penn Hills except that it's a step up from inter-city schools.

As for finding a house for under $150,000 in Plum... it would be an older home... the new homes here start at $200,000.

Good Luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Plum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh