Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:46 PM

53 posts, read 109,529 times

Advertisements

how is the dating scene here in pittsburgh for young professionals. I know being a doctor is supposed to be a plus- but trust me its not.

How is the casual dating scene? Bar hookups? What types of professional women are available for long term serious dating? Is it difficult to meet people- how about in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
What do you mean by "professional"?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:28 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh238 View Post
how is the dating scene here in pittsburgh for young professionals. I know being a doctor is supposed to be a plus- but trust me its not.

How is the casual dating scene? Bar hookups? What types of professional women are available for long term serious dating? Is it difficult to meet people- how about in the winter?
Pretty much the same mix of women as you will find anywhere else with a mix of professional service jobs. Not sure what the bolded part means?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
You've never heard that women find rich successful doctors to be a turn-on? Speaking from personal experience as someone who has always been the primary breadwinner I'd be so happy if someone successful like that showed an interest in me, so, yeah, being a doctor should give him an advantage.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
In your other posts, doc, you said that you were looking to figure out what city to do your residency in.

so you really aren't a doctor, just a resident or intern, right now, and probably not making that terribly much.

I'd say your best bet would be to be active in a church or synagogue so you can meet people that will be able to help you in your professional life. Good prospects for patients, other folks in the medical profession that you might be able to get into their practice and who might also have family members that they might want you to meet- you do have potential as a family man.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 PM

53 posts, read 109,529 times
No, im currently a resident. But whether you are an intern or resident or attending you are still a doctor. i find it odious that only if I am making x amount of money as a doctor would someone be more interested in me- if Im to have a life long partner I expect her to show me interest when I am at my most difficult (ie less finances).

Also- Im just saying- being a doctor or resident or whatever doesnt mean women are throwing themselves at me- its hard to meet when you work 60+ hours a week.

I am searching a variety of cities to identify places that have an ease to meeting women. Im from Pittsburgh suburbs but moved out to a nearby city for med school- i never experienced the city life as much so I dont know much about it- but I am comfortable and familiar with the area.

I was looking into other cities with a lot of residency opportunities that I liked (ie fellowship/research etc) but I want to go to a place where I can meet as many women as possible and make the best decision.

Too many of my fellow docs marry whatever is available or falls in their lap- only to regret later. I've met way too many divorced doctors who were my attendings to be satisfied with this attitude.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:31 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
i find it odious that only if I am making x amount of money as a doctor would someone be more interested in me- if Im to have a life long partner I expect her to show me interest when I am at my most difficult (ie less finances).

Good luck. There are too many threads to count on the shallowness of the Hookup Culture.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You've never heard that women find rich successful doctors to be a turn-on? Speaking from personal experience as someone who has always been the primary breadwinner I'd be so happy if someone successful like that showed an interest in me, so, yeah, being a doctor should give him an advantage.
It's hard to be a doctor's spouse. It's a lonely life. It requires an incredibly confident and independent person because the majority of their lives is like living single due to the incredibly long hours doctors work. I know women who are basically single mothers because their husbands don't get home from work until 11pm, and they're back out the door at 5pm or earlier. They really only see their spouses on the weekends, and sometimes they are on call or working on the weekends. Someone who would be "so happy if someone successful showed an interest" isn't the type of person who could endure the long haul.

Quote:
No, im currently a resident. But whether you are an intern or resident or attending you are still a doctor. i find it odious that only if I am making x amount of money as a doctor would someone be more interested in me- if Im to have a life long partner I expect her to show me interest when I am at my most difficult (ie less finances).
On the flip side, many doctors divorce spouses who financially supported them though their internship and residency.

Quote:
I am searching a variety of cities to identify places that have an ease to meeting women. Im from Pittsburgh suburbs but moved out to a nearby city for med school- i never experienced the city life as much so I dont know much about it- but I am comfortable and familiar with the area.

I was looking into other cities with a lot of residency opportunities that I liked (ie fellowship/research etc) but I want to go to a place where I can meet as many women as possible and make the best decision.

Too many of my fellow docs marry whatever is available or falls in their lap- only to regret later. I've met way too many divorced doctors who were my attendings to be satisfied with this attitude.
The most successful marriages I know are doctors who are married to other doctors. Since you're working such long hours, your social life will be mostly in the hospital setting. I don't think one city will have more female interns and residents than another city.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
I think that goes with the territory of working 60+ hours a week.

Being in a city where there is a lot more dating opportunities wouldn't decrease your chances. You'd still have the same chance when it comes to a 1-on-1 relationship. Unless you are saying, you only want to date a lot, without long-term commitments of marriage, etc.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
i find it odious that only if I am making x amount of money as a doctor would someone be more interested in me- if Im to have a life long partner I expect her to show me interest when I am at my most difficult (ie less finances
There are women who will show an interest while you are poor for the payoff years later. If this is truly how you feel, don't tell them you are a resident when you meet them and first start dating until they have already shown a genuine interest in you. That's the only way you can know for sure. Plus, you'll be a hypocrite if you tell women you're a resident to get dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh