Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,101 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to pit at the end of this month. Want to find an apartment within 30 min commute distance from my company(in strip district). any suggestion for apartment renting? anything I really need to take care?

How about the safety level in strip district? comparing to some areas like shadyside etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 12:12 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Strip district is fun but expensive. More "urban" than Shadyside (ie, more of a downtown-feeling business district, fewer homes), but not unsafe. There's some really nice recently renovated apartment/loft buildings to choose from, but the rents are fairly high compared to the rest of the city.

We lived at Allegheny Center when we first moved to town last year, and we really liked the neighborhood. The #54 bus will take you from there to the Strip District in just a few minutes (check Google Maps), and there's a number of other bus lines that will take you downtown very quickly. The proximity to the Mexican War Streets and the Central Northside makes it feel a little more homey than the Strip District itself, and it's a nice walk over the bridges into the city when the weather is good.

Check it out: Contact Us - Allegheny Center Apartments

The apartments are under new management as of the past few months, so the price has gone up a little but the amenities have also improved; I *think* it's still cheaper than living directly in the Strip District, but others on here might know of specific buildings that are better deals than the ones we saw last year.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Pro: you will eat well without getting in your car

Old 09-15-2014, 05:32 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinoptions View Post
I am relocating to pit at the end of this month. Want to find an apartment within 30 min commute distance from my company(in strip district). any suggestion for apartment renting? anything I really need to take care?

How about the safety level in strip district? comparing to some areas like shadyside etc?
I would put the strip as definitely less safe then shadyside after dark if you wanted to go for a walk or whatever; completely fine in the day time.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I would put the strip as definitely less safe then shadyside after dark if you wanted to go for a walk or whatever; completely fine in the day time.
Eh. I'd put the two on a pretty level playing field, having gone running and made deliveries in both neighborhoods after dark. The Strip feels "unsafe" because there's very little foot traffic after dark, which means you're traversing lonely streets past creepy-looking old warehouses and other large low-profile buildings; however, it's not like there's people with guns standing around every other corner waiting to mug you. Shadyside has more foot traffic in the evenings and is also closer to Homewood, East Liberty, Larimer, and other areas that are still sketchy as they endure slow yet sure gentrification. Just a couple of years ago there was a rash of armed muggings on/around the Ellsworth Avenue corridor---that made me edgier as a delivery driver than anything else in town at the time.

A lot of people are out walking their dogs, jogging, walking to/from dinner, etc. now in the blocks closest to the Cork Factory and Lot 24 complexes, so, if anything, the "eerily vacant" vibe of the Strip is improving after dark. With that being said, the Strip District probably has some of the most expensive rents in the city, with most 1-BR units commanding at least $1,500/month, so be advised that Shadyside is actually a "bargain" in comparison, although it, too, is often touted as being expensive by Pittsburgh standards.

OP, if you had the money I'd personally live in the Strip in a heartbeat. We live just up the hill in Polish Hill to save on rent, and we cherish being able to walk down to Dulcinea Bakery; Klavon's Ice Cream; Chicken Latino; Reyna Foods; Penn Mac; Wholey's; Penzey's; In the Kitchen; the Pittsburgh Public Market; Marty's Market; Pitttsburgh Popcorn Company; and so much more. Just be willing to shell out lots of cash for it, as all of the other hundreds and hundreds of lofts/condos under construction will also be on the very expensive side, too. Developers are catering to the affluent exclusively these days, for better or for worse.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:37 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
^though just a month ago you had 6 people shot in th Strip. There's no arguing it's a lot better now & trending in the right direction, but the area has been associated with violence (see why it's once vibrant nightlife all but disappeared) which hadn't completely gone away.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
^though just a month ago you had 6 people shot in th Strip. There's no arguing it's a lot better now & trending in the right direction, but the area has been associated with violence (see why it's once vibrant nightlife all but disappeared) which hadn't completely gone away.
Seems the problems are around Art's Tavern I guess. I don't consider the Strip dangerous at all, but my guard would go up around Art's. I don't think there are any other bars that would have issues. The Strip is a pretty cool place and I would live there for sure. Close to everything and a lot going on. There were concerts there on Sunday and lots of people everywhere. That bike lane on Penn into the city is great! Just rode it for the first time. How luxurious. I think the crime would be about the same as Shadyside, but like a lot of neighborhoods some streets are as safe as the safest neighborhoods. For example, Westminster or Devonshire in Shadyside would be very safe, but the streets bordering East Liberty would be less safe. All the dumps like Whiskey Dicks that catered to a lousy drunk crowd are gone in the Strip, so the nightlife is a bit better other than Arts.

I am a little surprised at your answer UKyank. I didn't think you would feel the Strip unsafe.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:14 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
All the dumps like Whiskey Dicks that catered to a lousy drunk crowd are gone in the Strip, so the nightlife is a bit better other than Arts.
They named a bar after alcohol-induced impotence?

Old 09-15-2014, 09:16 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times
I saw some historic rowhouses for sale immediately adjacent to Art's Tavern. I would never live near that nuisance bar. Can't believe it's still in operation after shooting after shooting. Nearby 'Street King's' has also been troublesome.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:23 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I saw some historic rowhouses for sale immediately adjacent to Art's Tavern. I would never live near that nuisance bar. Can't believe it's still in operation after shooting after shooting. Nearby 'Street King's' has also been troublesome.
My wife's office is right across from Art's. In the years it has been there there have been two shootings - the recent one and one which happened right after they relocated there from Regent Square. Thankfully her office is not making people work after dark any longer due to the general concern within the office.

In general though, the Strip has cleaned up a lot with the closure of the other nuisance bars/clubs and with the hundreds of new residents out on the streets. I still think I'd prefer living somewhere nearby (like say Lawrenceville) rather than the Strip itself though, provided I was still young/single enough to want an active nightlife, as it can get eerily quiet in a lot of the strip in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh