Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:22 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
This construction backs up traffic onto the Parkway every day. I have seen people come around the bend near Bates street and have to stop quickly and change lanes because the traffic from this construction is backed up to that point. Some people cannot change lanes fast enough so they sit in the middle traffic lane waiting to get in the exit lane. This IS most certainly a dangerous situation.

It is now October 7. This work was scheduled to end September 21. How can they justify closing this lane and causing a dangerous situation for several weeks after the original end date?
I can't believe that no one mentioned this yet, but why are they closing a lane on the parkway for this project??? The parkway does no border these buildings its the Boulevard of the Allies that does. Can anyone clarify what is actually happening here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:26 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I can't believe that no one mentioned this yet, but why are they closing a lane on the parkway for this project??? The parkway does no border these buildings its the Boulevard of the Allies that does. Can anyone clarify what is actually happening here?
Nobody is closing a lane on the parkway.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:40 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,683 times
There is an electronic message board before that bend before Bates St. Was there a message on there about congestion ahead? I have seen that message on there when the Bates St off ramp is backed up (which is usually all the time. Now that is a safety hazard. I have seen many close calls there. Luckily people make their own "off ramp" by lining up on the shoulder. That is embarrassing).

An alternate route from the Parkway East inbound would be to take the Sq Hill/Homsetead exit right after exiting the tunnels. Stay to the right and merge onto Beechwood Blvd then a right onto Greenfield Ave, and then a left at the light onto Panther Hollow. Panther Hollow becomes Boulevard of the Allies and you can continue on from there.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
It is now October 7. This work was scheduled to end September 21. How can they justify closing this lane and causing a dangerous situation for several weeks after the original end date?
By the link in the OP, the scheduled end date is November 21, not September. They didn't even start until September 22.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
By the link in the OP, the scheduled end date is November 21, not September. They didn't even start until September 22.
That isn't bad. Imagine if his commute was on Rt. 28.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:07 AM

373 posts, read 378,128 times
28 is cake by now, thank god.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:12 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
Speaking of safe driving, I had the distinct displeasure of witnessing The World's Biggest Moron yesterday morning as I drove from Oakland out of town on my way to work, taking the Boulevard as I normally do. This person in their tank of an SUV was really laying down the law, thank god for them, by driving down the middle of both lanes so that no one could DARE pass them prior to the closing of the right lane. It's bad enough that people don't understand merge points and won't let people over who 'waited until the last minute to get over' but this was another level of stupid, dangerous, selfish... get OUT of the middle of the road. At one point, they had cars on either side of them, both unsure what the ultimate goal of this person was, and the one in the right lane almost tried to pass. That person on the right BY THE WAY wasn't even interested in traversing the Boulevard, and they soon turned right off into uptown somewhere. My blood was boiling at this multi-lane nuisance. Who do you think you are? Unbelievable. Still mad
I've seen this behavior many times approaching lane closures. It is some of the most ignorant and dangerous behavior I've ever seen, and it is not something I ever witnessed before I moved to Pittsburgh. It's worse when they close a lane on the parkways and someone is traveling down the clear lane and someone swings their vehicle out of the other lane to "block" the cars that are "cutting in line" when they simply want to go to the merge point AS INSTRUCTED BY THE SIGNS PENNDOT INSTALLED. Totally ridiculous.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:31 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Some days the traffic from this closed lane backs up to Bates Street. In fact the last two days the traffic for the Boulvard of the Allies was backed up past Bates Strret. The result is there were two lanes of traffic in one lane until Bates. Some cars would abruptly stop in the middle lane of the Parkway trying to get in the exit lane. When that happened cars in the middle lane quickly turn into the left lane. All of this is a bad accedent just waiting to happen.

The amount of time and money this one building is imposing on a large number of people is amazing. Commercial vehicles are probably incurring some overtime and the rest of the traffic is wasting gas as well spewing polution and greenhouse gasses into the air.

I have yet to see anyone doing any actual working on that building. They must be working a short work day. This company is getting a free ride at the expense of a large number of people. It takes government to allow something this dysfunctional.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:09 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Some days the traffic from this closed lane backs up to Bates Street. In fact the last two days the traffic for the Boulvard of the Allies was backed up past Bates Strret. The result is there were two lanes of traffic in one lane until Bates. Some cars would abruptly stop in the middle lane of the Parkway trying to get in the exit lane. When that happened cars in the middle lane quickly turn into the left lane. All of this is a bad accedent just waiting to happen.

The amount of time and money this one building is imposing on a large number of people is amazing. Commercial vehicles are probably incurring some overtime and the rest of the traffic is wasting gas as well spewing polution and greenhouse gasses into the air.

I have yet to see anyone doing any actual working on that building. They must be working a short work day. This company is getting a free ride at the expense of a large number of people. It takes government to allow something this dysfunctional.
This traffic cost me time and money today again, too. Guess what? It is what it is. NOTHING is quick in this town due to union greed. Route 28 is still many years away from being completed for crying out loud, and they've been working on that since before I even moved here years ago. Ranting on City-Data about this isn't going to do any good.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:16 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
This traffic cost me time and money today again, too. Guess what? It is what it is. NOTHING is quick in this town due to union greed. Route 28 is still many years away from being completed for crying out loud, and they've been working on that since before I even moved here years ago. Ranting on City-Data about this isn't going to do any good.
FYI...28 should be done before the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh