Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:26 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Changed handle. Certainly no hiding it with all my posts all over the place, let alone my style of writing.

Anyway, delivery drivers don't have an easy job on city streets. There is a loading dock on Smallman that has the truck blocking both ways, so you can't even get through. What do you expect that driver to do?

Yeah, it is easier to walk or ride a bike around the city. Park in Millvale and ride or even walk into the city. It is healthy and awesome.
So it's likewise beneficial for delivery drivers to do deliveries when the streets are devoid of vehicles & pedestrians. Seems like a win-win for everyone

Last edited by UKyank; 10-03-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 12:40 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
So it's likewise for delivery drivers to do deliveries when the streets are devoid of vehicles & pedestrians. Seems like a win-win for everyone
Maybe no deliveries during 4:30PM-6:00PM, I could understand, but other than that, many delivery drivers are coming from NJ or out that way, so to expect them to have consistent times is a bit much. Off hours is another problem, with smaller companies that aren't even in office at that time. They can't afford to have someone stay and wait for a driver.

Bottom line is, business needs to go on and people will have to adjust. Sometimes you have to look beyond yourself and try to understand what it would be like to be a driver coming from some distance. They want to get home as well to spend time with family.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:53 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,412,949 times
Reminds me of the AM commute a couple weeks ago when two tractor trailers were staggered side by side on 2nd Ave/Irvine Street through Hazelwood (its supposed to be two travel lanes inbound in the morning). Throw in a PAT bus doing pickups at the same time and it was like mass chaos.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Our roads were not meant for the huge vehicles that are on them around here. They were designed way back and there were not giant buses or huge trucks, not to mention the average American vehicle is some giant SUV. Our roads are pretty darn small because Pittsburgh is an old city. Heck horse and buggy was common here and a model T would fit nicely compared to the huge stuff we drive now. It is what it is. I think we need more cup holders and TV screens in our vehicles, so we don't have to think about all this.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:43 PM

39 posts, read 54,692 times
Quote:
what an amazingly self-centered thread. So where to you expect these delivery trucks to park? Do you feel business should stop because you are inconvenienced? Last i checked we live in a city and just like every other city there are going to be trucks double parked and just trying to fit in anywhere they can to drop off their delivery. What the heck do you expect them to do? Do you have any idea what it would be like to drive around in a crowded city, looking for an address or place of business to deliver to all while in some big truck? Seems you don't, but wow!

this

Old 10-03-2014, 08:53 PM

21 posts, read 21,141 times
Quote:
What an amazingly self-centered thread. So where to you expect these delivery trucks to park?
Maybe around the corner? They made a choice to park the shortest distance to their delivery spot despite inconveniencing others. As you pointed out, cities have a lot of people in them. Perhaps we can find some compromises that work best for everyone?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Alot of areas have loading zones for areason, most of the time when i show up to unload my truck someone is parked illegal in them, i have the ability to park elsewhere and wheel my stuff to my job. If i am in a large delivery truck that has there loads dispatched and stacked according to its destination what do you do, go to the next stop, unload 1000 lb of items into the street, unload the next delivery, load items into the truck from the street, go back to your last stop and Hope parking has cleared up. This is not a trucking company or a delivery driver problem, it is an infrastructure issue.

Have a little more patience when you encounter this, i am sure the driver does not like blocking the street or unloading into traffic lanes.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:31 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Delivery trucks would like to make it here before rush hours, if they are traveling from North Carolina or Georgia, it sometimes is tough to meet the time schedule.

unexpected accidents or heavy traffic or adverse weather can all have an effect on this kind of thing. People should just try to be patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh