Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:21 PM

674 posts, read 1,412,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
(likely a fictitious LLC meant to divide legal culpability and liability)
Lol, what, exactly, is a "fictitious LLC"? Mapleview Partners is a legit corporate entity, with a registered address in Belle Vernon. It's general partner is another corporate entity (not at all uncommon) Sylvan Investments Inc., also with an address in Belle Vernon. (Source for this information is the Pennsylvania Department of State corporate search webpage). The officers of Sylvan Investments also own an oil company who sold off a bunch of gas stations to Get Go (Family-owned Belle Vernon company fuels a history of growth | TribLIVE). They probably still own the land and GE leases it from them. Probably pay the property taxes as part of the rent or something like that.

As another aside, if you want to start a business, you would be well served to educate yourself on the benefits (both tax and liability - I would think liability would be a HUGE concern with your eventual business venture) various corporate formations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 01:27 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Sorry, the word "fictitious" was extraneous. I typed that in a rush as I headed out the door to work.

I realize an "LLC" is formed to keep various business functions separate and to differentiate between what entity may be liable for what. I know all about the various tax (dis)advantages of different entity types, too.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:17 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
I didn't check today, but as a general rule in the South Hills, the gas stations near the Bridgeville 79 exit will be 10 cents less than Mt. Lebo/USC/BP/Dormont while the new Sheetz on Rte 88 in Castle Shannon will be 20 cents less.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:52 PM

439 posts, read 1,473,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I didn't check today, but as a general rule in the South Hills, the gas stations near the Bridgeville 79 exit will be 10 cents less than Mt. Lebo/USC/BP/Dormont while the new Sheetz on Rte 88 in Castle Shannon will be 20 cents less.

I generally find the bridgeville exit gas stations to be higher than USC/peters twp prices.

Saw gas today in state college for $3.07

Old 10-23-2014, 08:54 PM

Paid $3.33/gallon tonight at the GetGo in Squirrel Hill, and that's the cheapest I've been able to find in the city.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Was over in Ohio this weekend. I filled up for $2.97. Came back to town and the price was $3.39.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Isn't pretty much everything in Pittsburgh more expensive than the state average?
I was talking to a person who sells at a farmer's market out in a rural county. They said when they come to Pittsburgh they mark up the price over 50%. One of the reasons was that Pittsburgh residents will pay it. In the rural areas, Pittsburgh is seen as the piggy bank. It is where the money is. Vendors will gouge prices when they can.

Last edited by bluecarebear; 10-23-2014 at 10:12 PM..

Old 10-23-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I was talking to a person who sells at a farmer's market out in a rural county. They said when they come to Pittsburgh they mark up the price over 50%. One of the reasons was that Pittsburgh residents will pay it. In the rural areas, Pittsburgh is seen as the piggy bank. It is where the money is. Vendors will gouge prices when they can.
I really never thought of Pittsburgh as being an "affluent" city---more of a middle-class one. Either we're much wealthier than we give ourselves credit for OR most other areas are in pretty deplorable economic shape if people here are ready and willing to pay more for gas, more for fresh produce, more for rent, etc.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I really never thought of Pittsburgh as being an "affluent" city---more of a middle-class one. Either we're much wealthier than we give ourselves credit for OR most other areas are in pretty deplorable economic shape if people here are ready and willing to pay more for gas, more for fresh produce, more for rent, etc.
I was surprised. I thought the main reason for mark ups would be transportation costs, etc. Price gouging has made me look at COL in general and question the pros and cons of city vs country living.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:13 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,458,923 times
bp on 51 below mt washington always seems to be the cheapest gas prices in the city. Last week it was 3.29. and at the top of the hill on virginia ave, the price was 2.59 the same day.

futures for oil look pretty good for the short term for gas prices to stay down, perhaps we will even see 2.xx prices here in pittsburgh this winter.

all in all though, the amount of money 20-50 cents a gallon adds up to over a year is pretty minimal. There are a lot of other ways for the average person to cut money from their monthly spending that would dwarf the small gas savings. Stop eating out so much, quit smoking, dont buy expensive coffees every day, dont go to the bar as much, watch a movie at home instead of the theater, cut your cable service down, switch to a cheaper phone service, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh