Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:57 PM

86 posts, read 174,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan09 View Post
Pittsburgh is a city that people tend to either love or hate. For better or worse, there really aren't many places in the US quite like it. I'm really glad you had a great time. If you can find a good job and a good social circle, it's a special place to live (minus the weather and traffic - sorry).

Hey there Steelers,
I have heard that about Pittsburgh before, I suppose I’m one of the lucky ones that really did fall for the area and the people I met up there. Oh come on the weather was great when I was up there, now granted that is one of my biggest worries when it comes to moving or even visiting anywhere up north is the cold weather, but that is because I am just not use to it. Snow I think I can deal with, it’s the ice that always has me worried.
Traffic did seem to get very heavy in some areas but it did not receive any help from the road construction going on. But it wasn’t that bad or maybe I was just lucky in my drive times and areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
I've been here almost two years now. I moved from San Francisco. SF has grey weather so Pittsburgh's grey days don't even register with me. So far I haven't found ice or snow to be much of an issue. People have been very understanding the few times when I had to cancel due to weather. They were probably relieved that I wasn't on the road!

SF Bay Area traffic is waaaaaay worse than here. At least rush hour has a beginning and an end here. That said, there aren't enough modern freeways and the bridges and tunnels cause delays so it's not all unicorns and rainbows, but it isn't all that bad.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not only rude,but ugly to View Post
By the looks of it everyone gets to have an up close look at the local wild life. :-D We see our fair share of wild life out here at the house because we are boarded by one of the national forests but you do not see wild life (Deer, turkey, so on and on) in the city here. It would be considered very odd and would more than likely scare the locals. Every blue moon you will hear about a deer or bear making their way into a local area and the people lose their minds.
Bears are rare and make the news similar to where you live. Turkey are very common here. Since they're creatures of habit, there are certain places I know I'll see them at dusk anytime. I consider raccoons just as much a city animal because they live out of garbage cans and dumpsters. I've only seen a handful of skunks in my lifetime, but I smell them once or twice a year. We haven't had as many squirrels in our yard this fall because there seems to be more hawks, falcons and owls this year. I wish they'd target the feral cats more. Oh, and we have bald eagles in the area too.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:57 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
I was riding the bicycle on North Mathilda, between Garfield Commons and the intersection with Mossfield. I surprised this huge doe that quickly turned and sprinted into the cover. I was equally surprised, as I didn't see it in the dusk until I was just feet from it.

And thank you for your compliments, original poster! I'm sure in Florida there are great people in some areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh