Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:17 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times

Advertisements

Something like the IGA in Oakland would be great. It doesn't have to be a giant suburban-type store, and the expectation should be that people aren't going to shop there twice a month and stock up, but rather, be able to drop in every day or two. When we were in Chicago, there was a store called Jewel-Osco in the area we stayed that was probably a big larger than the Oakland IGA, but pretty small. Like supermarkets used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 08:27 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
I wonder whether, if GE (Giant Eagle) were to rent an unused floor at our erstwhile Kaufmann's, people would shop there. People who live in places where you walk to the store are used to -- and get used to -- carrying only as much as they can carry. As doo dah points out, the suburban expectation of two weeks between trips isn't a factor in an urban environment. I think the sticking point might be the location on the tenth (or whichever) floor instead of the ground floor.

Too soon to give you points now, doo dah.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:34 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
It would need to be on the ground floor at sidewalk level, with a parking option as well. and I don't think a typical grocery store that is available many places in the region is the best fit for downtown, it needs something a bit different with products not generally available elsewhere, that would create more interest, like a Trader Joe's.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
It would need to be on the ground floor at sidewalk level, with a parking option as well. and I don't think a typical grocery store that is available many places in the region is the best fit for downtown, it needs something a bit different with products not generally available elsewhere, that would create more interest, like a Trader Joe's.
The thing is, I don't think it needs parking. The customer base is going to be people who are working downtown (who have either driven and are already parked or taken transit) or are living downtown.
Probably they are not going to be buying 50 pounds of dog food downtown.
I think it needs to be more than just convenience food - deli items and premade sandwiches and salads, which is the current model (see the failed Rosebud, also the "gourmet" offerings), and more than what is available in CVS and Rite Aid.
Frankly, we *may* just need to have more than one such store downtown , and a couple of stores can fill different niches.
Don't faint.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:25 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Try to buy a bag of shredded cheese downtown. I needed that more than once, and I have to pay $7 at the Cogo's near my house or just go without.

I dont want gourmet pre-made foods, I don't want junk food. I want a mom and pop sized grocer that I can swing by on my way home and buy a few vegetables and maybe a stick of butter, and not have to mortgage my house or eat something artisnal.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Try to buy a bag of shredded cheese downtown. I needed that more than once, and I have to pay $7 at the Cogo's near my house or just go without.

I dont want gourmet pre-made foods, I don't want junk food. I want a mom and pop sized grocer that I can swing by on my way home and buy a few vegetables and maybe a stick of butter, and not have to mortgage my house or eat something artisnal.
You are the demographic that should be served!

Old 11-06-2014, 07:04 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:

you don't own a grater?

Old 11-06-2014, 07:22 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
you don't own a grater?

I do own a grater but try to buy a block of cheese downtown.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I do own a grater but try to buy a block of cheese downtown.
I will try to remember to check if the big CVS on Fifth has grated cheese, I would expect they would. Probably Kraft, and probably $4 for .5 lb!

Old 11-06-2014, 07:58 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
...but try to buy a block of cheese downtown.
Maybe you could buy shredded cheese and make it into a block by stacking bricks on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh