Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:17 PM

697 posts, read 777,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
I'm originally from southern Virginia (as it turns out a very friendly place where it's common for strangers to strike up conversations, exchange smiles) and have lived all over the US. My wife and I have been eyeing Pittsburgh as a potential place to raise kids, partially because it's midway between my family and hers in the north and also Pittsburgh just seems like a great little city. My take on the city is that it has a lot of positives from the South (friendly, open, down to earth people) and positives of the north (city amenities, jobs). I've got to admit, this thread has me wondering if I have misjudged the city. Aren't Pittsburghers known for being friendly? This has me scratching my head.
Depends who you ask and their own frame of reference (neighborhood, workplace, other places they frequent). I think Pittsburghers are friendly. No, I don't see that same friendliness when I'm downtown where people are running to meetings (nor does that bother me).

This is an Internet forum where probably 10% of the subscribers post 90% of the posts. And some posters (not talking about Aqua) post the same sentiment over and over in different topic areas. So take the internet with a big grain of cyber salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 03:18 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Most of the people who complain wouldn't be happy anywhere
This is a tired and played out trope as overused as the "Pittsburghers just tell it like it is" line.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:35 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
This is a tired and played out trope as overused as the "Pittsburghers just tell it like it is" line.
Hopes statement isn't played out at all. It's dead on. And many do "just tell it like it is". Many just don't like hearing it.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:45 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
Depends who you ask and their own frame of reference (neighborhood, workplace, other places they frequent). I think Pittsburghers are friendly. No, I don't see that same friendliness when I'm downtown where people are running to meetings (nor does that bother me).

This is an Internet forum where probably 10% of the subscribers post 90% of the posts. And some posters (not talking about Aqua) post the same sentiment over and over in different topic areas. So take the internet with a big grain of cyber salt.
I completely agree with Daisy's post. I think Pittsburgh is plenty friendly. That being said I do not think it is as friendly as the south (I say this as a southerner), but I don't think any other regions of the US are as friendly as down there.
But don't take the internet's word for it, come on up and spend some time here.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:15 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Hopes statement isn't played out at all. It's dead on. And many do "just tell it like it is". Many just don't like hearing it.
Bingo!

Old 11-12-2014, 04:32 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
- If a woman gets harassed on the street its her fault and/or the harassment "ain't that bad"

- If you disagree with a Pittsburgher they will attack you rather than discuss the difference of opinion

Just some little tidbits of information that I have found in this thread. Very informative for people who want to move here.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:50 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Most of the people who complain wouldn't be happy anywhere.
I would probably agree with this if I had not lived in Seattle, which I liked as much as SCR liked NOVA. It did me wonders to get out of that hellhole, and I have not complained since about anywhere I've lived.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:49 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
- If a woman gets harassed on the street its her fault and/or the harassment "ain't that bad"

- If you disagree with a Pittsburgher they will attack you rather than discuss the difference of opinion

Just some little tidbits of information that I have found in this thread. Very informative for people who want to move here.
It's a sensitive world and people grow more sensitive each day.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:20 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
Quote:

"Well, bless your heart."

Old 11-12-2014, 07:14 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It's a sensitive world and people grow more sensitive each day.
I know! Why can't people be more like they were in the 1950s when they just accepted racism, sexism, and homophobia en masse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh