Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:42 PM

20 posts, read 17,480 times

Advertisements

This may be a dumb question but i cant get over the fact that though the infrastructure for the station is present in the "Penn Avenue" station on the east busway why is the station being unused?The T stops at US Steel station and goes right over to first avenue.

Thanks
gofonso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 01:46 PM

59 posts, read 97,360 times
Penn Station stop? Closed for Lack of use because only one track goes from US Steel to Penn Station and it was too time consuming to run a single train at a time, so it wasnt used.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:56 PM

145 posts, read 182,885 times
I wasn't aware that it was single tracked...that may explain the low ridership if indeed that was the case. It seems to me it would only serve as a shuttle between Steel Plaza and Penn Station the way it's currently set up. The established red and blue lines already go all the way to the north shore, it wouldn't be very efficient to have any of those trains detour to Penn Station. Even if they resurrected the Brown Line and had a terminus there, I question if the ridership would prove economical (would it be part of the free fare zone?) as the Brown Line/52 only ran once an hour anyways if I recall.

In an ideal world Penn Station would be the first stop on that branch, not the only stop. I can envision a climb up to Bigelow (which would be put in a "road diet" to accommodate a set of tracks in each direction) with stops at the staircases to the Hill District and Polish Hill (does the latter exist? SCR?) as well as Herron, Finland, and the Bloomfield Bridge before continuing onto Craig and Baum to S'Liberty. Alternatively the line could find a way over the busway and train tracks to be a surface line through the Strip into Lawrenceville or Bloomfield, perhaps as part of the circulator route involving Oakland and Hazelwood.

I agree it seems like a waste to have the infrastructure in place, but truth be told it's pretty useless infrastructure as it currently stands and it's going to involve some major decisions (and major $$$) to incorporate any of the kinds of changes needed to make it useful. Just my opinion though I'd love to hear any better ideas.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMcKelvin View Post

In an ideal world Penn Station would be the first stop on that branch, not the only stop. I can envision a climb up to Bigelow (which would be put in a "road diet" to accommodate a set of tracks in each direction) with stops at the staircases to the Hill District and Polish Hill (does the latter exist? SCR?) as well as Herron, Finland, and the Bloomfield Bridge before continuing onto Craig and Baum to S'Liberty. Alternatively the line could find a way over the busway and train tracks to be a surface line through the Strip into Lawrenceville or Bloomfield, perhaps as part of the circulator route involving Oakland and Hazelwood.

That might not be that practical, climbing up Bigelow Blvd with an LRT car might be too steep of a grade for that vehicle.

The idea of the Penn Station stop was to provide service to the East Busway stop and connect the south hills to points east.

I thought the idea of building the LRT tracks under the Allegheny at the point wasn't that great.

Penn Station could have been useful if they would have used the bottom, unused deck of the Ft. Wayne Railroad Bridge to cross the Allegheny.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:49 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
That might not be that practical, climbing up Bigelow Blvd with an LRT car might be too steep of a grade for that vehicle.

The idea of the Penn Station stop was to provide service to the East Busway stop and connect the south hills to points east.

I thought the idea of building the LRT tracks under the Allegheny at the point wasn't that great.

Penn Station could have been useful if they would have used the bottom, unused deck of the Ft. Wayne Railroad Bridge to cross the Allegheny.

The North Shore Connector was to include a spur to the convention center via Penn Station. That spur was eliminated as the cost of the project ballooned.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:55 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
This unused station bugs me. It can be used to go up to the 21st street bridge, then turn left, cross Liberty, then cross Penn, then use Smallman or Railroad to go all the way up to freakin' Lawrenceville!

I am not a big fan of surface rail, but I think this could service 100 people on one trip from Penn Station to almost 40th Street. So it sits there, rotting under pigeon droppings.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

I am not a big fan of surface rail, but I think this could service 100 people on one trip from Penn Station to almost 40th Street. So it sits there, rotting under pigeon droppings.

If you're in town, and wanted to go to Lawrenceville, why would you want to have to walk all the way up to Penn Station to take a train which will let you off at just a single stop on 40th St?

Its a lot easier to take the bus which goes all the way downtown, and once in L'ville, will drop you at 39th, 40th, Main, 44th or 46th. Less of a walk and more convenient on both ends. Less expensive to operate as well.

Maybe if Pat extends the T out the East St. Valley, to McKnight or even Wexford and Cranberry, it can use the unused deck on the Ft. Wayne Bridge and originate at Penn Station.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:16 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Well, maybe it can be an express, maybe used 4 times daily. I surely would walk to Penn Station and take an express up to Lawrenceville if i lived there, or if i left my car there.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Well, maybe it can be an express, maybe used 4 times daily. I surely would walk to Penn Station and take an express up to Lawrenceville if i lived there, or if i left my car there.

I don't think most people would. It isn't a long trip on the bus right now, and the trip could be shortened a bit right now at minimal expense if PAT wanted to route some trips via the Busway to 26th St.

Unless there was some destination in Lawrenceville that could really develop transit traffic, such a route would probably be throwing good money after bad.

I can't see this as being a great advantage for someone living on 45th St., and having to walk 5 blocks to a train and then from Penn Station to their final destination in town, as opposed to just taking a Butler St. bus and being dropped on Penn or Liberty in town.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:11 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
It's not single tracked at Penn station, take a look at Google earth, clearly shows double track. Whether there was a bottleneck underground in the subway portion somewhere I don't know.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...f915a15aa21b34
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh