Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:14 PM

395 posts, read 488,451 times

Advertisements

First of all, this is the year 2014, not 1964, so stop playing the race card! The reason the ghettos here, along with most other ghettos in this country, have a majority black population, is not because white people put them there, it's because the black people who live in those areas didn't work hard enough to get themselves out of those areas. It's not white people's fault or any other external stimuli's fault, it's those black people who live in those areas own fault. If you want a better life than make it happen! Nobody is holding you down. Segregation was abolished in the 60s, and even in the 60s, it didn't exist around here. Plus, do we not have a half black president? STOP RACE BAITING! Now for your accusations of racism to begin, LOL, because I know you will deny I am right. Instead, you will cling to your belief that I am a racist and that this is a racist rant and that the reason black people can't get by in PGH, is the man's fault, and not black people's own damn fault, because to admit that would be soul destroying, but, I digress. Now, I will say you could blame the way the majority of black people are in this country on slavery, and certain political policies which were enacted in the past, such as welfare, which causes the majority of black people in this country to have a counterproductive attitude, but even then you still can't fully blame it on that because there is still the fact that you can rise above that attitude. That is all.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:30 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksburgh View Post
it's still just a stupid city
I thought roughly 40% of our city's adults possessed at least a Bachelor's Degree the last time I checked? That's more than MOST major U.S. cities. Stupid city? I shall beg to differ.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
First of all, this is the year 2014, not 1964, so stop playing the race card! The reason the ghettos here, along with most other ghettos in this country, have a majority black population, is not because white people put them there, it's because the black people who live in those areas didn't work hard enough to get themselves out of those areas. It's not white people's fault or any other external stimuli's fault, it's those black people who live in those areas own fault. If you want a better life than make it happen! Nobody is holding you down. Segregation was abolished in the 60s, and even in the 60s, it didn't exist around here. Plus, do we not have a half black president? STOP RACE BAITING! Now for your accusations of racism to begin, LOL, because I know you will deny I am right. Instead, you will cling to your belief that I am a racist and that this is a racist rant and that the reason black people can't get by in PGH, is the man's fault, and not black people's own damn fault, because to admit that would be soul destroying, but, I digress. Now, I will say you could blame the way the majority of black people are in this country on slavery, and certain political policies which were enacted in the past, such as welfare, which causes the majority of black people in this country to have a counterproductive attitude, but even then you still can't fully blame it on that because there is still the fact that you can rise above that attitude. That is all.
The East End liberal apologists who love harboring a sense of "White Guilt" on here are going to tar and feather you for this brutally blunt post, but I'm inclined to agree with you. It's not my fault, Hopes's fault, Copanut's fault, gg's fault, okaydorothy's fault, Aqua Teen Carl's fault, or any other white person's fault that places like Homewood still exist in 2014. People in Homewood can get off their behinds and get jobs. They don't. That's not my fault, and I'm tired of being called a racist because I'm not more sympathetic towards people who consciously choose NOT to help themselves out of unsavory economic situations, especially when I have black friends from other parts of the country who worked hard to pull themselves out of urban poverty and catapult themselves into a greater sense of professional success than I could ever hope to achieve.

I'm incredulous that the OP could have possibly applied for hundreds of positions and not have received an interview/offer. I've interviewed for and/or snagged nearly every position I've applied for since I relocated here. No, they haven't been glamorous jobs, but they were jobs that have paid my bills. The unemployment rate here is just over 5.0%. Our business can never find enough talent to replenish our ranks as staff members are recruited to work elsewhere due to there being TOO MANY jobs in this city. Why didn't you apply to work for us, OP? On a good day I can make up to $20/hr. On a bad day I still make $10/hr. What I do is hard work. At the end of the day, though, I can come home, look in my wallet, and say to myself "I've earned this". I couldn't imagine being able-bodied and just cashing government entitlement checks every month, not working, looking in my wallet, and saying "I didn't earn this".

Old 11-16-2014, 09:18 PM

316 posts, read 437,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I thought roughly 40% of our city's adults possessed at least a Bachelor's Degree the last time I checked? That's more than MOST major U.S. cities. Stupid city? I shall beg to differ.
Oh for Christ's sake that's not what I meant and you know it. As for 40% of the city's adults possessing Bachelor's degrees, so what? I hate to burst your bubble, but having a Bachelor's degree hasn't been anything special since about 1985. If anything, colleges these days are churning out savants who don't know which direction to turn a screw, how to change a flat tire, and can barely think for themselves. Most people with a Bachelor's (and even a Master's) have a hell of a time finding a job in their field because the market is utterly saturated with people just like them.Furthermore, we're living in the age of "everyone's invited to the party" with regards to college, so 40% isn't anything to brag about if you're a secondary education elitist.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:28 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Bill O'Reilly is that you?

Old 11-16-2014, 10:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksburgh View Post
Oh for Christ's sake that's not what I meant and you know it. As for 40% of the city's adults possessing Bachelor's degrees, so what? I hate to burst your bubble, but having a Bachelor's degree hasn't been anything special since about 1985. If anything, colleges these days are churning out savants who don't know which direction to turn a screw, how to change a flat tire, and can barely think for themselves. Most people with a Bachelor's (and even a Master's) have a hell of a time finding a job in their field because the market is utterly saturated with people just like them.Furthermore, we're living in the age of "everyone's invited to the party" with regards to college, so 40% isn't anything to brag about if you're a secondary education elitist.
Well then what's that say about all the metropolitan areas with a lower percentage of college-educated young adults than Pittsburgh?

I know that you're living quite comfortably out in the far eastern portion of the metropolitan area despite not having a college degree (sounds like somebody from Armstrong County who used to post here, by the way), but you are the exception to the rule. It's OK to debate the value of a college degree, but it's really not OK to use your singular personal experience to claim that people would be no worse off without a degree when there's plenty of hard evidence to the contrary.

I should also note that I've read several of your posts, and you strike me as a misanthrope who doesn't just hate Pittsburgh, but also hates American society in general, so I'm really not sure how clear your worldview is, especially with that giant log in your eye.

As for the original post, it's an incredible waste of time for that person to register to an internet forum and post a manifesto about how much he hates where he came from. If I hated someplace that much, I wouldn't even waste my time with it once I left. Besides, that person lives in New York now, where he apparently has so much more to do and so many non-racist people to associate with that choosing to dwell on where he left makes no sense to me.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:10 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Things I have learned from this troll post...(it's a decent morning coffee read, and a guilty pleasure)...

1. OP can't count to ten, (or six), but has one, two and three nailed down
2. People in Homewood do not work (sounds like my kinda place!)
3. Some people really don't understand the history of our cities and how places like Homewood became what they are.
4. Some people just plain out enjoy being miserable, and posting about it.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:13 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The East End liberal apologists who love harboring a sense of "White Guilt" on here are going to tar and feather you for this brutally blunt post, but I'm inclined to agree with you. It's not my fault, Hopes's fault, Copanut's fault, gg's fault, okaydorothy's fault, Aqua Teen Carl's fault, or any other white person's fault that places like Homewood still exist in 2014. People in Homewood can get off their behinds and get jobs. They don't. That's not my fault, and I'm tired of being called a racist because I'm not more sympathetic towards people who consciously choose NOT to help themselves out of unsavory economic situations, especially when I have black friends from other parts of the country who worked hard to pull themselves out of urban poverty and catapult themselves into a greater sense of professional success than I could ever hope to achieve.
These have to be some of the most Ignorant posts around Race, I've ever read..... White people who truly don't understand the black community other than the stereotypical portrayal the Media regurgitates to them, really shouldn't throw stones.... It'd be just like all minorities stereotyping all Whites are Jim Crow type Elitists Bigots because that's what the (90% White) Republican Party reflects, however comforting to know most minorities are smarter than that.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
It'd be just like all minorities stereotyping all Whites...
I thought we were all "white privileged" people, so we are all in one big lump. The white male is to be hated. We don't have to work or really lift a finger. Money just falls from the sky and everything is given to us.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:01 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I thought we were all "white privileged" people, so we are all in one big lump. The white male is to be hated. We don't have to work or really lift a finger. Money just falls from the sky and everything is given to us.
someone please kill this thread ... please!!!

It's only heading in one direction, and it won't be pretty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh