Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 11:55 AM

419 posts, read 446,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Apparently they expect someone to import a Citroën & drive it past the new building
I guess that they're trying to show that the French, who have any eye for exquisite fashion and architecture, will find this building so remarkable that they must see it in person. Only the richest people can have their automobiles transported overseas. What a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 12:08 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
I like the older design better.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:28 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
going purely from memory, this looks pretty much just like the last one.

how about they get Mike Brady to work his magic on it, then we can have a large replica of the Brady Bunch house right in Pittsburgh. At least it would be a tourist attraction.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:57 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
They removed some driveit off the building and put more steel in, they mixed in a little of the old headquarters into the design

Old 03-25-2015, 01:58 PM

52 posts, read 75,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Apparently they expect someone to import a Citroën & drive it past the new building
Great catch! Only a car buff would ever realize...

Old 03-25-2015, 02:22 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
This is even more god-awful than before. If I was the mayor, I would make US Steel become part of a mixed use development at this point instead of a stand-alone headquarters. Their budget is obviously too cheap to take on a signature building by themselves in a dense urban area. The simple solution if you want to keep them in the city is too force them to become part of a mixed use structure and either rent out the other part or have them rent out their part.

You could easily build a large apartment or condo building on top of this flat thing and market it to people working at US Steel itself/Downtown/Duquesne. This would result in a structure actually fit for this location and a higher return on investment to afford better architecture.

Why the boorish idiots responsible for this development and our supposedly genius progressive mayor can't see this is anyone's guess.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
This is even more god-awful than before. If I was the mayor, I would make US Steel become part of a mixed use development at this point instead of a stand-alone headquarters. Their budget is obviously too cheap to take on a signature building by themselves in a dense urban area. The simple solution if you want to keep them in the city is too force them to become part of a mixed use structure and either rent out the other part or have them rent out their part. .
The mayor can't "make" US Steel do anything.

If they moved to Findlay, they'd have their own building- its a matter of competition with other jurisdictions.

Perhaps the city could market the site of the old Parkway Center Mall to US Steel for a good site for a stand alone HQ?

Old 03-25-2015, 02:40 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The mayor can't "make" US Steel do anything.

If they moved to Findlay, they'd have their own building- its a matter of competition with other jurisdictions.

Perhaps the city could market the site of the old Parkway Center Mall to US Steel for a good site for a stand alone HQ?
Yeah I know he can't make them do anything, instead he can make the mixed use option look like a much better deal for US Steel. But this is the same mayor that recently turned a blind eye to Point Parks playhouse travesty downtown, so I wouldn't expect him to do much besides suck up to them in future press releases.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:45 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
Don't worry about the "ugly building" anymore:

U.S. Steel abandons plan to build new headquarters at former Civic Arena site - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 11-05-2015, 10:52 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post

This is the best development news I've heard in a while, haha. Let's just hope it's accurate, and that something very different will take its place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh