Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:55 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times

Advertisements

I'm stealing this idea from the Atlantic article's thread where people were talking about student bubbles. I thought it would be interesting to hear people describe their bubble and their own version of Pittsburgh. No formal format or anything; I'll start.

Live: Brighton Heights

Work: North Shore/Downtown

Groceries: Brighton Heights

Casual dining: Bellevue/Avalon or Scott Township/Bridgeville (family out that way)

Nice dinners: Lower north side

Drinks: Lower north side

Coffee: Brighton Heights

Exercise: Brighton Heights, Riverview Park, and the three rivers trail system

Light shopping: Brighton Heights, Bellevue, Lower north side, McKees Rocks

Heavy shopping: Mt. Nebo or Bridgeville (family again)

The most surprising thing about this to me is how rarely I'm in the East End or South Side these days and how successful I've been at avoiding McKnight Road despite living pretty close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,104 times
Live: Penn Hills

Work: Turtle Creek (and adjacent Mon Valley towns/neighbourhoods)

Groceries: Monroeville, Homestead

Heavy shopping: Monroeville, Homestead, Penn Hills, Wilkins Twp.

Light shopping: Aspinwall (Waterworks mall, not sure why Pittsburgh's boundaries suddenly jump across the river there and encompass this area; not sure if there's a historical reason for that); Oakmont, Squirrel Hill

Casual dining: Wilkins, Monroeville, Homestead, Penn Hills

Veterinarian/occasional shopping: Robinson Twp.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
My bubble size was much bigger than the typical non-native Pitt student's, and at least once a week, I would go explore random places outside the city (having a car really helps). Excluding those excursions (which were pretty much anywhere and everywhere), I was typically a between-the-rivers/East End guy, though I never feared crossing a river.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Live: Oakland

Work: Oakland (full-time student)

Groceries: Shadyside, Squirrel Hill (stopped going to the latter after the manager of the Squirrel Hill Giant Eagle refused to give me the cash back I had forgotten to take before walking out).

Casual dining: Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Lawrenceville, South Side, East Liberty, Pittsburgh Mills Mall (RIP Rosie's Pierogies)

Nice dinners (nice from a college student budget perspective): South Side, Downtown, Shadyside, Lawrenceville, Strip District, Point Breeze, Northside

Drinks: Oakland, South Side, Shadyside, Lawrenceville, East Liberty

Coffee: Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Lawrenceville, East Liberty, Highland Park (I'm big on hopping around to both corporate and independent joints. Once, toward the tail end of Spring Break, I drove out to a Starbucks in Robinson every day where I worked on my capstone creative nonfiction piece).

Exercise: Oakland (gym was included in student fees)

Shopping (I didn't do enough to separate): Ross Park Mall, Waterfront, Southside Works, Robinson

Old 12-06-2014, 10:43 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,405,302 times
As a long ago former native: Where does one do "heavy shopping" on Mt Nebo.

Sparrowmint, IIRC, the city boundaries do that because as the mall's name implies, that was/is the location of the city's main water intake/filtration facility.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:00 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Sparrowmint, IIRC, the city boundaries do that because as the mall's name implies, that was/is the location of the city's main water intake/filtration facility.
Still is. I was around there a while back.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:10 PM

876 posts, read 1,143,969 times
Well played, ferraris. I'm going to format mine a little differently if yinz are cool with that.

Brookline: Live and play

Dormont: friends, Mekong, movies, vet

Highland Park/East Liberty: work, friends, drinks, groceries

Bloomfield/Garfield/Lawrenceville/Polish Hill: friends, Spak Bros, drinks, shows

Greenfield/Squirrel Hill/Regent Square: friends, old stomping grounds (starting to fall out of the bubble)

North Shore/Deustchtown: Buccos and banjos

Southside: Zenith brunch

Old 12-07-2014, 05:20 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
I'm stealing this idea from the Atlantic article's thread where people were talking about student bubbles. I thought it would be interesting to hear people describe their bubble and their own version of Pittsburgh. No formal format or anything; I'll start.
Wonderful idea for a thread! It should be an eye-opener to see how many of we Pittsburghers truly "don't cross bridges!"

Quote:
Live:
Polish Hill, which apparently isn't part of either the East End or Downtown, according to the experts of this sub-forum, even though it's between Downtown and the East End, so I'm going to start saying I live in the North Side to pacify the contrarians.

Quote:
Work:
Squirrel Hill (office); otherwise I work remotely throughout the East End, Downtown, South Side, Mt. Washington, and the North Shore.

Quote:
Groceries:
West Deutschtown (Giant Eagle) AND East Liberty (Target)

Quote:
Casual dining:
Lawrenceville; Shadyside; Bloomfield

Quote:
Nice dinners:
Haven't accrued enough "white privilege" yet from the other thread to afford these on our working-class budget, but we'd definitely do Downtown.

Quote:
Drinks:
We don't drink often. When we do we hit up Shadyside.

Quote:
Coffee:
Bloomfield

Quote:
Exercise:
What's that? In all actuality I typically run through the Strip District; North Shore; and Downtown.

Quote:
Light shopping:
Polish Hill; Strip District

Quote:
Heavy shopping:
East Liberty; Waterfront; Waterworks; Pittsburgh Mills; Ross Township

Quote:
The most surprising thing about this to me is how rarely I'm in the East End or South Side these days and how successful I've been at avoiding McKnight Road despite living pretty close to it.
Judging by my own list I need to venture out of the East End more!

Old 12-07-2014, 06:05 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,553 times
Live: with the Squirrels

Work: Oakland

Groceries: Sq Hill, Shadyside (Giant Eagle, Wholefoods), The Strip most Saturdays, CostCo for bulk stuff, Aspinwall for the wine store

Casual dining: Sq Hill, Greenfield, Regent Sq, Oakland, Strip

Nice dinners: Shadyside, Lawrenceville, downtown, south side, Strip, Oakland, East Liberty, Highland Park, Point Breeze

Drinks: Sq Hill, Shadyside, South Side, downtown, Greenfield, Millvale, Oakland, East Liberty

Coffee: Sq Hill, Oakland, Strip

Exercise: Gym in Shadyside, run around Sq Hill, Oakland, Shadyside, and cycle all over, fearlessly crossing rivers many times each ride

Other regular excursions: Monroeville (ski shop), North Side (Buccos, gigs), the inclines (to show visitors the views)

Just call me Bubble Boy

Old 12-07-2014, 06:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
As a long ago former native: Where does one do "heavy shopping" on Mt Nebo.
Mt. Nebo has a big Target and Sam's Club.

I live in Lawrenceville, work in New Ken, grocery shop in Lincoln Lemington, heavier shopping in Ross, Frazier and Lincoln Lemington, family in Westwood, North Fayette and Plum.

I don't drink or eat out much, when I do its the Strip, Bloomfield and Chateau.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:26 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,201,750 times
Quote:

Polish Hill, which apparently isn't part of either the East End or
Downtown, according to the experts of this sub-forum, even though it's between
Downtown and the East End, so I'm going to start saying I live in the North Side
to pacify the contrarians.
It's the north slope of the Hill District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh