Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 03:12 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,371 times

Advertisements

I went to check out their menu for a possible lunch there today and found out they closed November 26th! Our Daily Bread Cafeteria, Pittsburgh, PA, Serving lunch Monday - Friday

I haven't eaten there since October so I was surprised at this news. What a shame. Very good, cheap lunch. Comfort food for $6. Some days you just crave comfort food instead of Qdoba or Subway.

Apparently it was the church's decision: Brian O'Neill: Church losing its appetite for cafeteria | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The church wants the space to be another restaurant instead of a cafeteria. "Panera Bread style" is quoted in the article as what the church wants to attract. Yeah, I hope they are saying their prayers..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 03:58 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Sorry to hear about the closing.

I went there to lunch many times during the years I worked in town and they always had something pretty good. The place and the food definitely improved in quality when I returned to downtown work in 1999 and Michael had taken over. Before the late 90's, it was called the "Kirk Kitchen", and the lunchroom was opened way back about 1900.

The original idea of the lunch room was to provide working women and teatotalers with a place to eat lunch in town. Saloons were the only restaurants open, and they didn't allow dames in their joints, back in the days before women's lib.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:04 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Yea, I saw that the other day. Sad indeed, one of my favorite lunch spots (pot roast was my fave).

Old 12-10-2014, 04:05 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
The episcopal church next door to 1st Presby also had a lunch room open to the public which closed around the turn of the century. Ditto for the East Liberty Presbyterian Church, their lunchroom closed maybe 5 years ago or so. The guy who ran the ELPC kitchen was an actual chef, he really came up with some quality grub.

Daily Bread was really the last of the breed here in Pittsburgh

Old 12-10-2014, 04:11 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The episcopal church next door to 1st Presby also had a lunch room open to the public which closed around the turn of the century. Ditto for the East Liberty Presbyterian Church, their lunchroom closed maybe 5 years ago or so. The guy who ran the ELPC kitchen was an actual chef, he really came up with some quality grub.

Daily Bread was really the last of the breed here in Pittsburgh

I loved how it was a mix of homeless people, business execs & everyone in between eating there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh