Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:27 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A lot of the Downtown customer base is also people who are staying in the hotels, who are pretty much a captive audience.
True. But on the weekdays, they're mostly there for business reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 02:43 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
You would probably end up having trouble getting a spot, as Zone 2 people would drive into the park and ride to get the Zone 1 fare.
Exactly why those park and rides along the East Busway fill up so quick weekday mornings.

I wish the Wilkinsburg Park and Ride was a multi floor garage instead of that pretty useless garage at South Hills Village. A garage at Wilkinsburg PnR would fill consistently, I bet. A lot of people would rather drive halfway, park at PnR, pay the Zone 1 fare rather than being on their Zone 2 bus ride longer or driving all the way.

I have worked with many suburb people in Downtown who hate coming Downtown to work and only do it because, well, its for their job and they have to tolerate it. They may get lunch out occasionally but usually high tail it out of Downtown when done with their work day. They might come back to the city a few weekend days a year. In fact, some people who have took a new job back in the suburbs have said that they got tired of paying for parking/taking the bus/traffic and that was a big factor in taking a new job. I like working Downtown myself. Different strokes.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:47 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Yeah, honestly, the idea of Park and Rides along the East Busway any further in than they already are is kinda ridiculous. East Liberty has the first TOD apartments being built now, but there's sure to be some coming around Negley and Herron Station as well.

I could see it being useful along the West Busway though. That area is probably a long way away from real TOD projects after all...at least most stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
I have worked with many suburb people in Downtown who hate coming Downtown to work and only do it because, well, its for their job and they have to tolerate it. They may get lunch out occasionally but usually high tail it out of Downtown when done with their work day. They might come back to the city a few weekend days a year. In fact, some people who have took a new job back in the suburbs have said that they got tired of paying for parking/taking the bus/traffic and that was a big factor in taking a new job. I like working Downtown myself. Different strokes.
Not a suburb guy by any means, but I have to say that since I associated Downtown with being at work, the last thing I wanted to do when I first moved here 10 years ago or so was to hang around Downtown after work. I wanted to get on my bus and go back to my home and 'hood. I think I'm a bit more open minded about Downtown today, but on the other hand I have two kids, so I can't really hang out there and socialize anyway.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:49 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
I have actually avoided downtown dinners in the past due to the lack of available on-street parking. I'm not sure that $4/hour is the right price, but free definitely is not. Personally paying ~$10 to park on the same block as my destination would be worth it for a nice night out. I mean that's basically the price of a drink or appetizer at these places.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:40 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
As a delivery driver who will now have to shell out more quarters for an extra four hours of meter enforcement per day, six days per week, I can't say I'm thrilled about this in the least, as it's not like people are going to be increasing their tips accordingly to account for it being more expensive for drivers to do their jobs efficiently.

I was hoping that parking would no longer be free on Sundays AND the hourly rate would increase while the enforcement would STILL stop at 6 PM.

Cue the haughty East Enders on here telling me to deliver food from Point Breeze to Mt. Washington on a bicycle or Segway to be "part of the solution" in 3...2..1....

Old 12-11-2014, 08:51 PM

281 posts, read 340,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
As a delivery driver who will now have to shell out more quarters for an extra four hours of meter enforcement per day, six days per week, I can't say I'm thrilled about this in the least, as it's not like people are going to be increasing their tips accordingly to account for it being more expensive for drivers to do their jobs efficiently.

I was hoping that parking would no longer be free on Sundays AND the hourly rate would increase while the enforcement would STILL stop at 6 PM.

Cue the haughty East Enders on here telling me to deliver food from Point Breeze to Mt. Washington on a bicycle or Segway to be "part of the solution" in 3...2..1....

Haughty East Enders say watch out for protest marches.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw_now_what View Post
Haughty East Enders say watch out for protest marches.
Excuse me? How is this relevant to the thread topic at-hand?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:20 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
SCR, why would you think tips should rise for this? I think it would make more sense to increase the delivery fee if necessary.

There could be an upside for you in this. If parking spaces are available closer to your destination then you can save time and gas looking for a spot and have a shorter walk to the delivery location.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:25 PM

281 posts, read 340,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Excuse me? How is this relevant to the thread topic at-hand?

You were upset about the protest march messing with Wheel Deliver's logistics, right? It's been all over facebook this week. I saw where people even called for a boycott because they didn't like your objection to the protest.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:28 PM

480 posts, read 611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodPoet View Post
Thanks Peduto.
City Council could reject this but they won't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh