U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 AM

71 posts, read 217,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
I just drove thru one of those places today. Sitting at the light someone threw a empty can out the window, drove forward parked on the side of the road....around ten people all standing there doing what I dont know. Then another girl, finishing some potato chips tossed the gutted bag right on to the street. I though to myself, "I guess I know where I am at." Glad I was just passing thru and I dont live there.
littering and people hanging outside equals the ghetto???? Let me guess the group of ten people where planning to do a drive by shooting on a rival gang and selling drugs to each other... then going to do some gang graffiti and throw shoes on telephone wires to mark their territory.... Im almost positive that the above was assumed because they were young black or hispanic people, right??? and they had baggy clothes on right??? Then you probably thought... That Damn Rap music... Look what it makes the youth do.. it all starts with listening to some 2pac, then you start littering, then you start hanging out with friends outside on the street, next thing you know your in a gang in the ghetto slanging drugs all day.... I blame Pac... J/K

But seriously though littering and people hanging out in groups outside happens everywhere... I wouldnt come to a conclusion based off that... I see litter all over the sides of the freeway... It must of came from people from the ghetto, Right? We see littering and groups of kids hanging out all over Oakland, south side, and the strip why dont we assume that is the ghetto... Is it because they arent all Black or wear "ghetto" clothing??? I would base my assumptions on more statistical facts....

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 PM

275 posts, read 388,254 times
Well, personally I seldom litter. I just cant bring myself to throw trash on the ground where I live or where anyone else lives. And, Yes, there is trash on the streets, but proportionally there is considerably more in some areas, and to watch someone do this with little regard for others property or the place they live is disturbing. It represents a state of mind, a kinda apathy that creates such places. Where I live, yes trash finds its way on the street. Most recently, a windy day, blew garbage all over the neighborhood. No fault of no one, but within a day many people around, including myself, helped to clean it up.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:29 PM

71 posts, read 217,260 times
Yeah.. I get what your saying... Littering does bother me some... When I was younger though im sure I did my fair share...

Old 04-27-2008, 10:18 PM

6 posts, read 21,507 times
Good thing that you explained your use of the word ghetto but I don't think that you should use it at all. That word is very offending to many people and if you can explain what your not looking for so nicely don't mess it up by using that word. It makes you sound rude and ignorant, especially when you know that you sound racist and you continue to talk like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasburkejr View Post
Hello to All!

I am currently residing in a small urban community in the Boston area that is known to be "ghetto" and when I move to Pittsburgh I am not looking back.

This area is highly populated with hispanic/latino which isn't my worry. What I dislike is that it is a spanish-ghetto with thugs, gangs, drugs and litter. The community is like a low-income housing project and is not the greatest place that anyone would desire to raise a family. When I refer to ghetto, I am talking about the definition: a poor densely populated city district occupied by a minority ethnic group linked together by economic hardship and social restrictions.

I have considered a few different areas (Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Mount Washington, Greentree and Mount Oliver) and was wondering if these areas have any ghetto/not-so-inviting areas that I should know about.

Personally, I prefer to live in a neighborhood that has primarily white residents. I want to stay away from urban black/hispanic areas that are encompassed with hip-hop/urban culture. I know there may even be some urban areas that are populated with white people and I would rather stay away from that too. The less ghetto the better!

I know someone may read this and say "that is racist!" and I agree it is. I have experienced a more pleasant, inviting experience in a white neighborhood than in a black/hispanic one.

If anyone can please help me with answering this question, that would be great! Thank you for your time.

THOMAS

Old 04-29-2008, 02:08 PM

32 posts, read 66,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasburkejr View Post
Hello to All!
When I refer to ghetto, I am talking about the definition: a poor densely populated city district occupied by a minority ethnic group linked together by economic hardship and social restrictions.

I have considered a few different areas (Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Mount Washington, Greentree and Mount Oliver) and was wondering if these areas have any ghetto/not-so-inviting areas that I should know about.

If anyone can please help me with answering this question, that would be great! Thank you for your time.
THOMAS
Well I would say that each person is entitled to their opinion. By all means all of this is my opinion I'm not quoting anything from any books just my experiences of living in the city and its various suburbs. I don't like the ghetto either, but as far as Pgh goes the crime rate isn't that serious. We've had gangs in the past but I think the police have cracked down on that situation and it isn't as bad as it was in the 80's. As far as ghettos in Pgh I'll list some for you that i know of and i'll list places that are nice and far from the ghetto..........What some people may call ghetto: Clairton, Duquesne, Hill District, North Side, Homewood, Wilkinsburg, Hazelwood, East Liberty, Mount Oliver, Braddock, New Kensington, McKeesport, But there are some parts of these suburbs where its far from the ghetto and have nice white neighborhoods its based on certain streets and parts of the city that are really nice and upscale looking but there is a large part looking from the outside in that would be considered ghetto............Definite nice areas are Shadyside (really pricey but nice area), Squirrel Hill (large jewish community and really pricey), Mount Washington (really pricey and hilly but beautiful landscaping), Greentree(moderately priced but near highways), Turtle Creek(Small quaint quiet town near many outlets and major highways), Monroeville (nice area, reasonable priced near highways and turnpike), Penn Hills (moderately priced homes and apts some bad parts but mostly homes and many hills in this area), South Side (many new condos and lofts have been recently built here), Downtown Pittsburgh (pricey new lofts have been recently built in downtown and near downtown), Murrysville (near highways), Fox Chapel (near highways), Millvale(near highways), Tarentum(near highways), Homestead (near highways has some bad parts but reasonable priced homes in certain areas and a lot of new condos and apts being built here also), i hope this helps........I try to be very open but i really can't say too many positive things about Pgh.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,388,564 times
Default thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantingtostartover View Post
Well I would say that each person is entitled to their opinion. By all means all of this is my opinion I'm not quoting anything from any books just my experiences of living in the city and its various suburbs. I don't like the ghetto either, but as far as Pgh goes the crime rate isn't that serious. We've had gangs in the past but I think the police have cracked down on that situation and it isn't as bad as it was in the 80's. As far as ghettos in Pgh I'll list some for you that i know of and i'll list places that are nice and far from the ghetto..........What some people may call ghetto: Clairton, Duquesne, Hill District, North Side, Homewood, Wilkinsburg, Hazelwood, East Liberty, Mount Oliver, Braddock, New Kensington, McKeesport, But there are some parts of these suburbs where its far from the ghetto and have nice white neighborhoods its based on certain streets and parts of the city that are really nice and upscale looking but there is a large part looking from the outside in that would be considered ghetto............Definite nice areas are Shadyside (really pricey but nice area), Squirrel Hill (large jewish community and really pricey), Mount Washington (really pricey and hilly but beautiful landscaping), Greentree(moderately priced but near highways), Turtle Creek(Small quaint quiet town near many outlets and major highways), Monroeville (nice area, reasonable priced near highways and turnpike), Penn Hills (moderately priced homes and apts some bad parts but mostly homes and many hills in this area), South Side (many new condos and lofts have been recently built here), Downtown Pittsburgh (pricey new lofts have been recently built in downtown and near downtown), Murrysville (near highways), Fox Chapel (near highways), Millvale(near highways), Tarentum(near highways), Homestead (near highways has some bad parts but reasonable priced homes in certain areas and a lot of new condos and apts being built here also), i hope this helps........I try to be very open but i really can't say too many positive things about Pgh.
Wow, that was spot on! Good job on describing the areas!

Old 05-17-2008, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,875 times
hi, this might not be the way to post. i'm new to this forum and not tech savvy-so forgive me if i posted wrong. i tried to create a new thread but it looked like i was taken off the pittsburgh board and could not find a link back, so just went backward in my browser to get back to the ghetto posts.

Anyway, I had seen on TV, on PBS a documentary of an African American poet...Terrence...now i can't recall his last name, but he lived or lives in Pittsburgh, but the town of Homewood came into the program. The newsfolks said that's like a slum. A friend of mine moved to pittsburgh 'bout 7 years ago. Never heard any complaints about the area. from his photos, it looked like City island in the bronx--a quaint community. I am person who kind of kicks myself mentally in my head for not getting a building in harlem(here in NYC) in the late 80s when the city of new york could not give buildings or land plots away(one could buy a building in harlem or the lower east side for a buck, providing you'd start to rennovate it). now all is way thru the roof. everything in nyc is untouchable for me financially. i'm wondering about buying property in pittsburgh - in a ghetto. i currently live in manhattan in a gentrified area, but as years pass, i may not be able to afford to live here...so since my friend(well, acquaintance) seemed to do ok moving to pittsburgh, i'm thinking of doing the same at some point. I would not mind moving to a run down area providing it is not dangerous with gangs & drugs and has decent facilities, like would i be able to get decent internet access, be on high ground and not in a drain-run-off area/flood area, and adequate police protection. i have been looking on craigslist to get an idea of pricing, but much seems overpriced. tho i have seen some foreclosure or distressed properties that real nice, like i saw a 3 story combo commercial/residential building that had a bar on the ground floor and 2 apartments above it on the 2nd & 3rd floor---all for under 20K!!!! i don't know how much it is to get a liquor license in PA (here in nyc its like 300K), or maybe something like that bar could but turned into a cafe' /bookstore. i know i'm going off topic & rambling, but i'm looking for some property i can afford to buy(not right this minute, but i'm looking) that i, or my sister & i can live in and maybe run a business out of, or 2 or 3 separate properties. its just when i see something like that 3 story building w/a bar for under 20K-i wonder if its 20K down or 20K total. and i saw a really old wood building built in 1902 for about 7K. maybe i could use that as an art gallery. I have a lot of ideas, but can't afford much, so i'm looking at ghettos. but all that would be difficult to get to since i do not own a car. And I don't know if when property is sold for under 20K, if it is a major fixit it job.

Anyway, if someone could recommend a ghetto on high land, that's not too dangerous, please name that town. oh, and no mobile home areas, please.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:21 PM

2,306 posts, read 4,716,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantingtostartover View Post
Wow there are a lot of inaccuracies in your post...especially for a newcomer reading them. I'll try to list 'some' of them.

1) I live in Clairton; I am intimately familiar with Duqusne and McKeesport (sister grew up in Duquesne, I went to high school in McKeesport). First of all, I don't know why these cities even come up in conversation about Pittsburgh ghettos; I had to drive to downtown yesterday from Clairton during rush hour and it took me 1 1/4 hours to get to the Northside from here. These are economically depressed cities in the Mon Valley that anyone relocating to the Pittsburgh area should not consider not because they are "ghettos" but because they are "skeleton towns" (my own term) that do not have anything going on in them - and they are too far from most of what Pittsburgh has to offer. I can go outside now and take pictures all around Clairton and you won't see anyone outside hardly (except old people and a few losers here and there). From what I see...the younger people are a bit out of control and the young adults engage in crime. But the populations here are so small that if you are not directly connected you never see any of it. You don't see too much of anything else either -- like grocery stores (Clairton used to have 4 when I was growing up, now we have 0) or ATMs.

McKeesport's problem is that they were a large Mon-Valley city at one time that has hemorrhaged out it's population so there are a lot of empty neighborhoods...streets...just looks all around abandoned and terrible. That's just sort of creepy...not an all out ghetto. The Projects in McKeesport and the lower parts do have crime problems. Again though...there's no one who would move there...unless you are searching for a 5K house that is on the verge of being condemned.

When these cities were booming (from the 1940s to the 1960s), if you lived in McKeesport or Clairton or Duquesne...there was no reason for you to go to Pittsburgh hardly ever. They were built around operating separately from Pittsburgh and now in 2008 people wish to lump them together with other Pittsburgh suburbs...it's very odd. From someone who was born and raised here...yeah it's very odd...no matter what the "technical definition" of a "suburb" is.

2) In Squirrel Hill and Mount Washington, there are enough places to live that are not pricey at all. I have 3 friends in Mt. Washington...two rent for less than $600/mo and one purchased their home for $165,000.00 in 2006. In Squirrel Hill, I know about 4 people who rent...no one pays more than $800/mo. Bargain prices really.

3) Homestead is along the same lines as McKeesport in many ways; it's a step up...but that's because of the Waterfront. Steel Valley schools are still and they have their share of crime problems as well. Lots of the "problem kids" from Clairton, Duquesne & McKeesport roll with kids from Homestead (and West Mifflin too....although it's such a small share of the West Mifflin population...it doesn't give West Mifflin a bad reputation).

4) I am not familiar with Penn Hills, but I do know when McKeesport and Penn Hills kids would have a sporting event or otherwise mingle somehow...their was always talk of running into the "Penn Hills gangs" and also there was a lot of fighting (like a couple instances per year) between McKeesport and Penn Hills kids getting into it. Hmmmm....we never had that problem with Norwin

Old 05-17-2008, 01:26 PM

2,306 posts, read 4,716,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangonsloopy View Post
tho i have seen some foreclosure or distressed properties that real nice, like i saw a 3 story combo commercial/residential building that had a bar on the ground floor and 2 apartments above it on the 2nd & 3rd floor---all for under 20K!!!! i don't know how much it is to get a liquor license in PA (here in nyc its like 300K), or maybe something like that bar could but turned into a cafe' /bookstore. i know i'm going off topic & rambling, but i'm looking for some property i can afford to buy(not right this minute, but i'm looking) that i, or my sister & i can live in and maybe run a business out of, or 2 or 3 separate properties. its just when i see something like that 3 story building w/a bar for under 20K-i wonder if its 20K down or 20K total. and i saw a really old wood building built in 1902 for about 7K. maybe i could use that as an art gallery. I have a lot of ideas, but can't afford much, so i'm looking at ghettos. but all that would be difficult to get to since i do not own a car. And I don't know if when property is sold for under 20K, if it is a major fixit it job.
Oh please come here and open up a coffee shop in East Liberty or something. The Quiet Storm has horrible service and management and the Shadow Lounge has turned into a club basically.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:08 PM

56 posts, read 161,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Ay-yi-yi...just what Pittsburgh needs; more closed minded people.

Although I'm secretly hoping you find your "white" neighborhood -- then get a Puerto Rican family on one side, and a Black one on the other .
I am PRETTY sure the original poster is including any & ALL "trash" that makes a "ghetto"
Frankly aren't we all sick & tired of the "trash" ruining areas to live? Does anyone really EVER want to live in a "ghetto"? Who cares what color anyone is ............ we all just want to live peacefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh