Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 09:18 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

One of the first steps in getting rid of racism would be to stop separating Americans. People don't classify themselves as Irish American, or Nordic American or whatever, but they do say African American or even "black". I don't get it. Then people say, "diversified" when referring to a certain percentage of blacks in a school or community. I don't get that either. I will never consider a so-called African American as something different than another American, nor can I be bothered with someone saying, "diversity" meaning more "African Americans". You have got to be kidding me.

Anyway, I don't know what to make of this warning. I do know that the escalation of all this crap surrounding the dumb Brown case is not good for US citizens. It creates some fear and allows a build up of a more military style police force. The murders of the two officers in NYC will just create more police and a much harsher style of policing. The moron that did the shooting, was clearly nuts. Good that he shot himself. I suspect he had very little to live for and was certainly a very selfish loser.

Merry Christmas to ALL!

Old 12-24-2014, 05:24 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Not to get back to the original topic or anything, but I did note that the one city police car I saw yesterday had two officers in it. (Couldn't tell whether one of them was straw or not.)

Old 12-24-2014, 06:26 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I find it interesting how the shooting of a Latino and Asian cop in NYC has led to so much white paranoia.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:47 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Not to get back to the original topic or anything, but I did note that the one city police car I saw yesterday had two officers in it. (Couldn't tell whether one of them was straw or not.)
They have the occasional police strawman in the UK

Old 12-24-2014, 11:35 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I find it interesting how the shooting of a Latino and Asian cop in NYC has led to so much white paranoia.
First time some people in this country could be alleged to care about a Hispanic life in a real long time.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:11 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think they were two American cops, but of Asian and Latino descent.

Anytime there is violence people get a bit unnerved. I can't imagine living around Ferguson with all the nutty people running around. It looks crazy over there and now they are going nuts because an armed man pulled a gun on a cop and ended up dead. It is really an odd society over that way I guess. I hope Pittsburgh never reaches those lows, but one never knows. At some point, I think it will be time to head to a town somewhere. Been doing the city thing for a long time and with the internet/media hype machine going stronger and stronger, I think cities will be less desirable in the next decade. People don't like to live in friction and the hyped up media that everyone is watching all the time on smartphones is going to take its toll. I can't imagine how stressful it would be if you are a cop right now. I suspect they have their hands on their guns ready to pull the trigger at anything that moves out of the ordinary these days. Hard to blame them with people rioting because some robber went for a cop's gun and people protested it. Gotta love how the media can do that to people. No common sense left.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:13 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:

I think they were two American cops, but of Asian and Latino descent.
At the same time, it could be argued that Brown and Garner were American citizens, of African descent. We have such a problem looking at who we're descended from, and forming opinions based on that first, as opposed to looking at who we are...

Old 12-24-2014, 07:47 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
At the same time, it could be argued that Brown and Garner were American citizens, of African descent. We have such a problem looking at who we're descended from, and forming opinions based on that first, as opposed to looking at who we are...
I think the whole thing is silly. I don't know another country like the US that has all these little divisions. It really is odd. It isn't just created by the so-called white people, it is most everyone. I have always just figured if you are born here you are like anyone else born here. You aren't diverse due to the hue of your skin at all. That means nothing. Now if you are from Russia or grew up in Cuba or something, then yeah you are from another place. That is diverse, not some skin tone and having lived here for generations. What is that? Nothing.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:52 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Quote:
...friends & family with about 50 gang members & several addicts ...
Well, I would never have discriminated against you based on race. But that ^ statement, that definitely says "person to avoid." This kind of stuff is why whites err on the side of caution and discriminate against and avoid blacks. I don't want to have to deal with even the specter of 50 gang members and several addicts, because that definitely is an unsafe condition.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:03 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Well, I would never have discriminated against you based on race. But that ^ statement, that definitely says "person to avoid." This kind of stuff is why whites err on the side of caution and discriminate against and avoid blacks. I don't want to have to deal with even the specter of 50 gang members and several addicts, because that definitely is an unsafe condition.
Well you shouldn't be so quick to judge. What if I told you that I also closely know one City Councilman, several pastors, several doctors and several police officers.

I am a true interloper of American society. My life is no less unholy or unapproveable than yours propably... I grew up knowing/going to school with members of drug dealing Crip gang members as well as well off coperate workers who live in Point Beeze.

Now I'm bring quick to judge you, but white kids who either grew up (1) in the suburbs or (2) rich might not know a gang member, but the white Americans who live in the city or grow up poor are very likely to know gang members. Especially those who grow up in areas like Hazelwood/Homestead/Mt.Oliver/Allentown/Elloitt/Marshall-Shadeland/Clairton/McKeesport/Aliquippa, but those who live in Greenfield/Troy Hill/South Oakland, have to encounter people from "the thug walk of life" too.
All Im saying is if your life isn't sheltered this notion isn't that in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh