Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:48 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Asian food is in abundance here. There are some great Thai, a few good Chinese, and some decent Korean.
It depends on what you're used to. Compared to the Bay Area, Pittsburgh has slim pickings. That said, the eastern part of Pittsburgh is where you'll find more and better Asian places. I don't know how Pittsburgh compares to Minneapolis in this respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 11:53 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
Yeah, we are far behind the bay area which makes sense. They are a Pacific gateway. But most of my complaints about what we lacked when I moved here 12 years ago have faded away with a lot of the new places that have opened. You can now usually point to at least one really great spot for any specific type of Asian food.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:55 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
It depends on what you're used to. Compared to the Bay Area, Pittsburgh has slim pickings. That said, the eastern part of Pittsburgh is where you'll find more and better Asian places. I don't know how Pittsburgh compares to Minneapolis in this respect.
True--it is all what you are used to. I suspect we are on par with Minneapolis, but I could be wrong. Although how many Thai restaurants does one need?
We have favorite Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Thai restaurants here. Even when we lived in Seattle we tended to go to the same two or three places.
I do wish Pittsburgh had a Filipino restaurant.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:01 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Here's my Korean Food run down of the area:

Golden Pig in Cecil is really fantastic.

There's also Chongs in Beaver Falls but that's a hike. Really good though.

Sumi's in Squirell Hill is a Korean bakery and I think it's amazing.

Sushi Kim's Korean BBQ on Fridays is ok (it will look very tiny if you've ever been to DC), but their regular food is just eh.

Green Pepper is okish but too high in price.

Korea Garden is just eh.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I do wish Pittsburgh had a Filipino restaurant.
What happened to the Filipino restaurant that was in the 10th ward for many years where Pusadee's Garden is now?

Old 12-24-2014, 12:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburghpride83 View Post
I will also add that the "hipster" areas are contained to a few neighborhoods within the city limits, east end areas.
15203 (South Side) was cited as Pittsburgh's Most Hipster Zip Code in a survey someone posted on c-d during the past year.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:00 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
15203 (South Side) was cited as Pittsburgh's Most Hipster Zip Code in a survey someone posted on c-d during the past year.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl
Golden Pig in Cecil is really fantastic.
I keep hearing that. Really need to go check that out.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:02 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
None? There's not much that Korean but there is plenty of Thai. There are two within two blocks of one another on Liberty in Bloomfield.
I would never recommend it. By far, the best Pittsburgh has to offer is Italian and Polish cuisine. Other than that, this is the worst food city.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:55 PM

778 posts, read 839,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I would never recommend it. By far, the best Pittsburgh has to offer is Italian and Polish cuisine. Other than that, this is the worst food city.
False.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:01 PM

119 posts, read 144,931 times
Thanks for all the helpful information. From comparing rents on craigslist--and from what most people above have said--I'll probably have to give up on the hope of saving on rent compared to Minneapolis. Though Minneapolis is well over national cost of living and Pittsburgh is just a bit below, seems rent will be more or less similar. The sad fact seems to everywhere is expense--though a bargain compared what we might term the 'great cities.'
In any event, I'll at least have great views and be in place that I think I'd really love. Not that it's awful in Minneapolis--just not really my cup of tea.

Hopefully, we'll be able to line jobs up and get out there sometime next year. Can't wait to try "The Golden Pig,"--love the name. Thanks again for all the helpful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh